Who’s your favourite City manager ever?

For me I can't pick just one because the three I have chosen were all of a different time, but all to me are legends.

1: Joe Mercer/Malcolm Allison. I put these as a team because both admitted they just complimented each other perfectly and when they split that proved to be the case. As a kid they were my absolute heroes and I hung onto every word and believed with them at the helm anything was possible. Until recent events they managed the best players and most successful period in our history and played great football too.

2: Roberto Mancini. He came into the club when the euphoria of the takeover was waning. Although we were obviously better than we were, which wasn't difficult, we weren't ripping up any trees. He tightened things up, gave us a meaner edge and a winning mentality. He connected with the fan's and I don't give a shit what anyone says or who he fell out with he got us, he really did. He rattled Ferguson like no other manager ever had and played a blinder when it looked like we had blown the title. He promised to rip down that fucking banner and did it and moved the mentality of the club to a whole new level. Don't forget we had won nothing for 35 years and no title for 44 and he put that to bed. A legend.

3: Pep. An absolute football genius who has the team playing the best football I have seen in 50 years of following City. We are privileged to have him and watch the football on the pitch he creates in his head. Long may it continue.

No sane City fan could argue against anything you have said here.

Mancini got city better than anyone? Hahaha put the whisky away and go to sleep.

Out of interest what did Mancini do whilst manager that made you think he loved us? Not saying he didn’t as there was a bond between us, I didn’t see anything like Pep at Leicster is in the cup last year. Oh he wore a scarf like he did at Inter before us. That must be it. He fell out with players and the club, of course he gave us great times I just don’t get why him as a person people warm to, that’s why as a club we got rid.

Everything about the man made me feel he loved our club & fans. And he still does.

For me I can't pick just one because the three I have chosen were all of a different time, but all to me are legends.

1: Joe Mercer/Malcolm Allison. I put these as a team because both admitted they just complimented each other perfectly and when they split that proved to be the case. As a kid they were my absolute heroes and I hung onto every word and believed with them at the helm anything was possible. Until recent events they managed the best players and most successful period in our history and played great football too.

2: Roberto Mancini. He came into the club when the euphoria of the takeover was waning. Although we were obviously better than we were, which wasn't difficult, we weren't ripping up any trees. He tightened things up, gave us a meaner edge and a winning mentality. He connected with the fan's and I don't give a shit what anyone says or who he fell out with he got us, he really did. He rattled Ferguson like no other manager ever had and played a blinder when it looked like we had blown the title. He promised to rip down that fucking banner and did it and moved the mentality of the club to a whole new level. Don't forget we had won nothing for 35 years and no title for 44 and he put that to bed. A legend.

3: Pep. An absolute football genius who has the team playing the best football I have seen in 50 years of following City. We are privileged to have him and watch the football on the pitch he creates in his head. Long may it continue.
Agree with every word, you're probably a similar age to me, you poor sod! ;-)

1. McDowall - My first manager and we did win the FA Cup.
  2. Mercer - Had the foresight to bring in big Mal and gave us a period of success only messed up by Swales.
  3. Mancini - That game in 2012 will never be surpassed and he brought forward Fergies retirement.
I very much suspect Pep will be added to the list sooner rather than later.

1. Mancini - Played the most vital role in our recent success following Hughes' best attempts at wasting 300m and turning us into QPR.. Made the 'project' serious and delivered what I never thought possible in a manner I still can't quite believe.
  2. Pep - Will end up at no.1 no doubt. Genius, obviously.
  3. Keegan - Put a stop to the yo-yoing. A truly mental team, even at the end when we'd batter everyone at home but somehow manage to lose. 1st derby win/s in my lifetime too.
  4. Horton - I remember the outcry when he was appointed "Brian who?" but whilst in the end he wasn't successful he played some cracking football, basically playing a 4-2-4!, and gave me some good memories with the likes of Beagrie, Quinn, Walsh, Uwe, Summerbee, Gaudino before the (really) dark times. Sound bloke too. Could have turned out differently if the squad had been better beyond the 1st XI
  5. Royle - It wasn't the prettiest but he saved the club.
  6. Sven - Had us in the top 4 in Jan. Was let down by the maniac Thaksin. Given how things turned out you can't really regret him leaving tho. 1st double over them lot in my lifetime.
6 might seem a lot to pick out but as we know we've had quite a few...

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.