Who’s your favourite City manager ever?

Pep is an easy choice, and I do choose him for obvious reasons. He has catapulted us to the top table not just with his brand of football, but because he chose to manage us. Add to that his clear affinity to the club and Manchester in general.

As a young pigeonho, Horton was manager I liked a lot. I liked how he quickly threw off the ‘Brian who?’ tag and delivered a brand of football pleasing on the eye. Beagrie on the left, Summerbee on the right. Walsh and Uwe up front. Very very entertaining at the time. The start of the 94/95? Season was something else. So he’s up there for me. A different club though now.

Guardiola has to be my favourite: the football City play is even better than before, he’s improving every player even the already great ones, his open-hearted personality: success in the best style.

I’ll always love Mancini too for what he did and the way he related to the fans. His abrasive style clearly had flaws but his impact was huge.

Loved Keegan and Royle too - some great times, particularly in the 2nd Division/Championship promotions.

I’m sure Kendall would have won something had he stayed but he’ll never be amongst the favourites for me because his affections laid elsewhere!

So, Johnny Bond, (my first City manager), is in fifth place for me. That 80/81 season and the rise to the top just after Christmas ‘81 before it all went tits up.

It can only be Pep for me. No contest.

Mancini was the right manager at the right time, but was ultimately far more selfish, with too much stick and not enough carrot in his repertoire for me to feel the same about him as Pep.

As a footnote, I’ll always be fond of Joe Royle and Keegan gave us a couple of amazing years.
On the money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.