Who’s your favourite City manager ever?

Jimmy Frizzell. I remember when I was a kid and his appointment came on the radio.. I thought, we'll be champions in 2 years with this this top class winning machine. :-/ He just shades Alan Ball, who was quite simply a football genius. Pep could learn a trick or two.

It has to be Pep. We have had great times in the past but not as good as the current football. Long may it continue.

Bobby M and Pep for me. Both changed the club forever, both brought success and both are genuine, great people. Mancini giving Fergie some of his own on the touch line was inspired and about time. The huge grin on Mancinis face in his dugout when we thumped them 6-1. Tearing that banner down! The togetherness the team, the club had at the time, the Poznań, the mentality. My first FA CUP final and ultimately winning it. They are memory’s I hold dear. Pep is obviously taking us on his own ride and so far it’s epic. Beyond anything I imagined. I can’t separate the two managers though, both have the same place in my heart, my club, our city. CTID

Pep, Joe/Big Mal, Bobby Manc, Tony Book, Keegan, Royle, Sven-Goran & Pellegrini first season only The rest are non enterties

Don’t think it’s possible to split Joe and Malcolm as they were a combination

Last edited:
It can only be Pep for me. No contest.

Mancini was the right manager at the right time, but was ultimately far more selfish, with too much stick and not enough carrot in his repertoire for me to feel the same about him as Pep.

As a footnote, I’ll always be fond of Joe Royle and Keegan gave us a couple of amazing years.

I agree fully with this analysis. I would also go for Joe Mercer who did so much to bring back City to the top table and was a gentleman in every way.
Finally, my real favourite is Tony Book. He was 28 when he first came to City as a player. Won everything as a player and captain and then won us trophies as a manager. He is still an ambassador for the club and president of the supporters club. He is a total gentleman and has been a Manchester City legend for over 50 years.
It is always difficult to compare people’s achievements in different times but the six mentioned above would all be worthy of the title “best manager’ for different reasons.
What is a fact is that City would not be where we are now without their individual contributions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.