Who and what’s to blame?

As far as I can tell losing Laporte and Sane has completely unsettled any balance in the team, and Pep has spent all year trying to figure out a system that has needed square pegs in round holes. Rodri is great for keeping the ball, but doesn't have a forward pass in him, which means Gundo has to come in, Sterling and Mahrez (one of our better places) have swapped wings so aren't spreading the play and wanting to cut in, which means Silva and De Bruyne have less space, and Walker and Mendy push on leaving us exposed, not least because our back 2 are slow. But any "solution" to this fundamental problem doesn't work.

Poor recruitment. The decision to sign a backup RB for £60m was a massive waste of funds. The decision to sign Rodri, a midfielder with zero pace used to playing in a pivot as a singular pivot in a three man midfield was always foolish. The failure to replace Vincent Kompany and think that John Stones - a bloke who hasn't been trusted in any run in since he's joined the club to suddenly transform into a leader was again naive. The warning signs have been there for over a year now with him. Go back and watch him in the Nations League and our 1-0 over Spurs in the run in last season...his performances were diabolical.

I'd also add letting Leroy Sane piss us around for an entire summer and deciding to both play him and deal with Bayern on the last week of the window was again naive. Sane guarantees goals/assists and the briefing was we wouldn't replace him either way. Again naivety.

Pep also carries the can. His refusal to change the system at all, his insistence in playing David, Gundogan and Rodri as a three when it gives us zero legs is also a problem. There's been a lot written that the coaching staff have said Silva's lack of legs is a problem yet he's played a huge amount in a ridiculously high intensity position.

We've had to drop our best holding midfielder to CB, a place where his rash and lack of composure has cost the team. That isn't his fault, its something this structure has done for too long. Square pegs in round holes. The decision to continue with Mendy and Zinchenko at LB, when its been a problem for years is another oversight. The club keep trying to get away with things rather than fixing the issue properly.

The clubs has had an approach where the only way to improve is to buy superior players for that position, which obviously makes sense. The issue is that it isn’t that straight forward, it’s costs a shit ton of money and it doesn’t always work.

IMO, Cancelo is not better than Walker, Mendy is not any better than Kolarov/Clichy, Rodri is not better than Dinho and Mahrez is not better than Sane.

That’s over £200 million spent on players who have not improved the starting 11. They’re too good to be back-up players and need regular game time to hit top form. We then end up rotating for the sake of it which negatively impacts the side.

I personally think we need a squad of around 15/16 top class players and then a supporting cast of hungry, energetic players. Foden was in the latter category but in now moving into the top class bracket.

I’d be looking at players like Aarons from Norwich and Ben White from Brighton (on loan at Leeds) instead of the likes of Semedo and Koulibiali who we’ve been linked with.

Fuck me the state of this thread.

We simply ran out of gas after 2 years at full tilt which brought us huge huge success.

Already got a cup in the bag and on the chase for 2 more, I think whoever started this thread surely must suffer from premature ejaculation as the season is far from over.
Come back when the fa Cup and cheats Cup are done.

Why is it that when we don’t win the league, we aren’t even close? In our recent history, the closest we’ve been when not taking the title was 8 points in 2015, but we were 11 points behind in 2013, 15 points in both 2016 and 2017 and now 23 and counting. There has to be a reason? Seems like we are all or bust.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the dippers next season. They don’t seem like they want to recruit, they’ve had 2 and a half seasons hard at it using the same 11. If you don’t bring in people to push the current players you can really creek backwards. Look at how it fell to pieces for Mancini when they didn’t go for Van Persie and Hazard. He got given Rodwell, Garcia and Maicon.

Same with Pellegrini after 2014, Jovetic, Lampard and Managala. Although we did have Uefa coming after us with fines and squad reductions. Big, big summer for recruitment let’s hope Txiki has a decent shopping list.

Now that it’s official, we’ve not lost our title, more failed to defend it. That’s the tragic part, we never turned up this season.

where did it go wrong?

1. Var. yes, it shafted is a lot in the early days...but...I think the club let it get to them a lot each and every time and would dwell on it and fail to pick themselves up quickly enough.

2. Defense. Fullbacks have been terrible all season IMO. Swapping Danilo was a terrible decision. Walker and Stones seem content to have won so much that they stepped backwards. Mendy just hasn’t worked out and the way Pep managed Angelino was disgraceful imo. Decent player left on the bench all season only to be given his debut at anfield vs salah. He set him up to fail imo and didn’t want him brought back from the start.

Laporte was a massive loss, unfortunate.

3. Fernandinho. This to me was Pep’s worst ever managerial move. He took a world class DM out of his position to play bang average at CB. So now we’re weak in two positions rather than CB. It was clear Rodri wasn’t ready for the amount of games he was given, Fernandinho could have taken so much pressure off the back line had he not been moved to CB and left there. I mean he wasn’t even rotated to DM when Stones and Otamendi were fit.

4. Bernardo. Failed to kick on this year for me, certainly not up to last years standards on a consistent basis. Hopefully that comes next season.

So...your thoughts? Where did it go wrong for us this year?

1. I can’t believe you’re lumping Walker into the deficient column. Guy’s been excellent this season. Bailed us out with his pace and power on countless occasions. Angelino meanwhile had plenty of opportunities. Neat and tidy going forward, but hopeless defensively. Too slow, too small, ok in a 5, a disaster in a 4.
Mendy I would concur hasn’t worked out, but he was starting to look solid enough immediately prior to the lockdown and he clearly still needs time after his horrendous injury problems. Unfortunately, City operate these days in a world where there is almost no margin for error (the dippers could quite conceivably end this season on somewhere between 104 and 107 points), and having a left back - in addition to Stones and Otamendi - who will give away 3 or 4 goals a season with truly horrendous brain fart decision making is a non-starter, plus that dreadful “wrong foot” tackle last night did little to assuage fears that his technique (for want of a better word) won’t cause both City and the player himself issues in the future. Alas, Zinchenko is not the answer either. Had a great season in 2018/2019, with Laporte covering for him defensively, but with Big Eric missing most of this campaign, Zin’s glaring lack of pace has caused us problems against the better teams. Walker just turns on the afterburners and runs anyone who’s eluded him to ground. Zinchenko doesn’t have that in his armoury and whilst he’s comfortable in possession I don’t really think he offers us anything offensively.

2. I agree re Fernandinho, but once Laporte got injured we were up shit creek, and Fernandinho consistently produced better performances at centre half than either Stones or Otamendi. Rodri has become an “issue” meanwhile partly because Pep has insisted on coupling him Gundogan or Dave, who don’t have the athleticism to press efficiently anymore, which in turn leaves Rodri stranded high up the pitch and exposes his lack of pace and ability to recover.

3. Bernie hasn’t been anywhere near his best, but he’s not alone in having failed to recapture the heights of the previous campaign. Raheem Sterling has veered somewhere between average and poor back as far as the end of September last year, and last night represented a microcosm of his season. Never stopped running or trying, but shot (and missed) when he should have just rolled the ball sideways for a tap-in, carelessly allowed a great ball inside the Chelsea left back to run out over the dead ball line before putting his cross in, and twice over-ran the ball when cutting into the penalty area from the left. Part of this is unquestionably fatigue in my opinion (the guy hasn’t had a proper break in over 2 years, and the loss of Sane all season afforded him no relief), and I acknowledge there’s always an element of confirmation bias when assessing Sterling that perhaps doesn’t get applied to Bernardo, but if we’re going to challenge again next season then we need the 2018/2019 versions of both players.

3. Assuming we win at CAS, and that looks 50:50 tops to me, then we definitely need an overhaul if we’re going to catch Liverpool. We’ve lost a whopping 8 times in the league this season and at times we’ve looked toothless against a low block and horribly susceptible to counterattacks. Walker aside, there’s a complete dearth of pace, both at the back and in the DM positions. Otamendi, Zinchenko, Stones, Rodri, Gundogan, Mendy, Fernandinho. Liverpool can push TAA and Robertson forward safe in the knowledge that Van Dijk and Matip have the pace and power to cope one on one. When it happens to City you get panic and poor decision making (Stones vs Palace, Stones vs Villa, Otamendi vs Norwich, Mendy vs Wolves, Mendy vs Chelsea - and they’re just examples of where atrocious fuck ups and errors of judgment have led directly to goals, and don’t include the countless times Otamendi in particular has lunged in off his feet because he knows he doesn’t have the pace to jockey forwards away from goal).

New left back, new centre half, new left sided midfield player (all with pace) and extended game time for Foden, and we should have a good shot at reeling the Scousers back in, not least because we play better football than them. All hangs on CAS though

In the last few years we have all seen one of the best teams ever, and still are apart from not taking chances and giving daft goals away, also don't forget there is another 18 teams in this league who are even further behind it was always going to be a big thing to win every game for us. So when people are blaming City for not catching Liverpool remember there is not only us in the league. As much as we all want City to win every game shit happens.

6 out of our 8 defeats this season have been when gundo and Rodri have started together.

8 of those defeats have been with Rodri as DM.

Our record when they don't start is 20 games 16 wins 2 draws and 2 losses.

Rodri is a big issue and doesn’t suit our style whatsoever - it feels like we get countered on ridiculously easy and nearly every single goal we concede is on the break. Those clever little fouls that Fernandinho used to commit when we were high up the pitch were absolutely priceless.

Not replacing Kompany was huge. You clearly can’t replace him and what he’s done for the club but too not bring in a top CB was a decision which was always going to come back and hit us hard. Laporte’s injury after about 4/5 games set the season up for me. That’s our two starting centre backs gone. Name me any team in Europe and take away their best two CB’s. They would struggle badly. As for the rest of the team, lack of consistency from last years top performers (Sterling,Bernardo,Silva). Cancelo was a awful buy, I’m still not completely sold on Rodri but I do believe he’ll come good. Like others have said tho we’ve won 8 of the last 10 domestic trophies and could still end the season with two big ones. Definitely work needed in the summer to sort the defence out
Not replacing VK is a recurring theme. But how many CBs does a squad need. Once VK had gone it left us with 5 that I can think of as well as the Fernie/Rodri combination he used at least once. The key was not, not replacing VK but losing Laporte when we did so early in the season. If we really believe the likes of Garcia and Stones are just not good enough then they have to go and a wholesale replacement at the back.

Blame no! Work to do, adjustments/recruitment. We played a lot of games over the last 3 years. Scousers best team (hard to say) this season. We at times STILL play the best football. Norwich game and last night encapsulate our issues. Not captulising on our dominance, then sloppy goals.

Our issues are easily addressed if we sort the following.

1. Losing Ferdy in his DM position - Massive issue.
2. Left back - Mendy not sure, Zinchenko not the answer, thought Cancelo might have played there more - Significant issue.
3. Stones and Otamedi have generally not performed to their expected levels. Stones off the pitch issues possibly, Otters almost out the door last August. Kompany loss, in hindsight massive. Tried for Centre Halves unsuccessfully, chickens came home to roost. Existing Options in August were good, the Centre Half's with very good young ones in Eric and Taylor and Walker, Ferdy and Rodhri in emergency. Massive issue.
4. Personally I loved it with multiple recognised strikers (Ageuro and Gabby have done great) 4 in rotation/competition under Mancini and Pelligrini, think we have gone away with this - Personal small issue.
5. Won't comment on Sane, but a considerable alternative, who would have had opposition thinking differently and would have likely changed the outcome of some games. - an issue
6. Form, we dipped, spells with Raz and Bernardo, these things happen. - Small issue.

The smalls, Rodhri will better, with a season in. VAR will settle down. Decisions will hopefully balance out. Scousers will get worked out, plain to see what they do and I sure coaches are all over it. We play with options this should always be an advantage.

Manager believes and I believe, recruitment and small adjustments, just watch - No issue, City till I Die

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.