Who is bigger in Manchester? City or Utd?

I would say the most accurate way of identifying a supporter of either the Rags or City is by way of the people you know or work with.
For example, I worked in an office with around 30 people, I would say 8 were City fans and 12 Rags. Difference was that 5 of the City fans either had season tickets and or went to a good percentage of games whereas only 2 Rags went.
Same on Facebook, out of my Facebook friends, around 20 are City fans who go on a regular basis and 7 are rags who go regularly.

Didsbury Dave said:
A lot of each club's traditional heartlands were governed by the bus routes to the grounds - Hyde road and Maine road for us of course, as you can see in the diagram above. The slum clearance programme mixed things up and of course the sky generation's fad for glory hunting.

Something I've noticed is that a number of kids change allegience when they are 9-14. Lots come to city when they realise how tacky, shallow and showy man united are. There's something much more lovable about city and a fair few realise that as they get older.

I bet not many will admit it, but they are out there. Little kids don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to football.

Having left Manchester for West Yorkshire 10 years ago now I can tell you that there are loads of kids supporting city at my kids school and at their football practice. What's interesting though is that 5 years ago the most popular shirt would have been United. Now it's Barcelona. The kids are unashamed glory hunters now and that works in our favour.

Our bus to Old Trafford, from Didsbury was the 53. It went down Birchfields road and skirted around Maine Road, before coming out near the brewery then through hulme, eventually kicking us out near the house of fires. Then the tram came and we would get off the bus in Stretford and get on the tram to the cricket ground.

coleridge said:
Mankymeat FC said:
I went to St Catherine's and Barlow. Right in the heart of Didsbury. The pub across the road from Barlow (Parrs Wood Hotel) is full of United fans and always has been since I was a kid. The street I grew up on, has 100 houses and there were 3 families that I can remember as being City fans. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE was united. There was even bunting out for the 85 cup final. I didn't meet proper city fans until I went to Xaverian College and 3 of my mates worked on the turnstiles at Maine Road. They used to let us gib in for free. Although, this backfired at the Derby when Cantona scored and loads of us jumped up and down in the Kippax. Coins, lighters, gob...everything was being lobbed at us. Then a nice policeman opened a gate and we were allowed to run up the side of the pitch and into the away fans who were in the corner of the kippax.

I know all your references. I had a a brief spell playing for the St Caths Saturday League team through an MCFC director's son. It was mostly blue. You are talking about Catholic schools which were mostly your lot. Funny that 'EVERYONE was united' but you had three mates that worked at Maine Road. I am 'Old School' Didsbury and I don't accept your analysis whatsoever.

I also played for St Cath's team. I don't agree with your memory at all. The manager Fr McGarry was a red. And I can name at least 8 players who were reds. (Feely, Pollard, Connor, A Schilling, Moran, Carthy, Donahue, James...

Used to work in the Olde Cock in Didsbury. Chatting with some of my rag supporting locals, they were all taking the piss as the pub was full when united were on the tv, and pretty empty when city were playing. The conversation ended pretty quickly when I pointed out that this was mainly due to the blues actually being at the match. As many posters have pointed out, I'll take quality over quantity every time.

united.. but FFS they should be,
firstly they had the tragedy which ,however sad and cruel gained them major support.
this also happened at the advent of TV and mass media...

and then ferguson who has gave them 25 years of sustained success.

so of bloody course its them.

but we have never gone away.. through years of mis management..

its own turn now.
we have everything to be successful for many many years to come.

i dont really care who has the most support... it doesnt really matter

does it?

CTID

Tim of the Oak said:
coleridge said:
BlueAnorak said:
There are 2 splits in Manchester support, by Geography & Forebears Religion..

Geographically:
Central, East, South Manchester are mostly blue North Manchester mostly Red.
Further Out: Rochdale Mostly Red, Oldham 50/50, Tameside & Stockport - Mostly Blue, Trafford & Salford - Mostly Red
Bolton - Mainly Red (Blues 3rd) Bury 50/50 (Prestwich & Whitefield Mainly Blue - rest Mainly Red.

Forebears Religion:
Though not as dramatic a divide as elsewhere in the country there is a heafty divide into the club followed. Historically the following loyalties existed:
Jewish - Mainly Blue.
Chapel (Methodist/Baptist/Congregational) - Mainly Blue.
CofE - Mainly Blue
Catholic - Overwhelmingly Red.

All of which were diluted by "Glory Seeking" - Utds very poor performance between the wars (when football became the national sport), The sympathy for Utd generated by the Munich Air Crash in the late 50's and Utd's total dominance of the Premier League between 1992-2008

A decent summary.

Discussing religion is rather 'Cellar-like' but it is relevant in this thread.

More recent immigrants/religions tend to all into the category of your last paragraph. We might not like it but you can understand their logic. My immigrant father was the same but, in fairness to him, he has been going to a few matches at OT every season since the 1960s. My maternal great grandfather was West Country Baptist [Chapel] and so blue from before WWII. Anyway, enough Christmas catharsis for one year. ;)

Relevant but probably inaccurate. I know plenty of Blues who are Catholics and most people I see at the game I wouldn't know what religion they are.

I don't think religion is significant to this thread - apart from the small number of fans who are a bit obsessed with that Scottish pub team Millwall tribute act!

It's more a historical reference than now, many two city clubs had those religious divisions in the football teams, it's just not so relevant any more. Except in Glasgow.

Didsbury Dave said:
A lot of each club's traditional heartlands were governed by the bus routes to the grounds - Hyde road and Maine road for us of course, as you can see in the diagram above. The slum clearance programme mixed things up and of course the sky generation's fad for glory hunting.

Something I've noticed is that a number of kids change allegience when they are 9-14. Lots come to city when they realise how tacky, shallow and showy man united are. There's something much more lovable about city and a fair few realise that as they get older.

I bet not many will admit it, but they are out there. Little kids don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to football.

Having left Manchester for West Yorkshire 10 years ago now I can tell you that there are loads of kids supporting city at my kids school and at their football practice. What's interesting though is that 5 years ago the most popular shirt would have been United. Now it's Barcelona. The kids are unashamed glory hunters now and that works in our favour.

The public transport route is just as relevant when you move out of South Manchester towards the shires and beyond.

I moved from Marple to Whaley Bridge in 1980. Strictly speaking you’re in Derbyshire, but Derby is fifty miles away and only accessible via three trains and a magical mystery tour through the rugged Peak District and South Yorkshire.

Why would a floating supporter make such an awkward journey when there’s a direct line to Manchester?
Similarly nearly all the cricket fans tend to support Lancashire rather than Derbyshire.

I’m not even sure where Stockport ends on the MEN map, but every village from Hazel Grove to Buxton is a mix of City/United.

Indeed the only anomaly is New Mills where you might discover a few fans of the two Sheffield clubs, mainly because it’s the only village served by two major rail lines.

Henkeman said:
Tim of the Oak said:
coleridge said:
A decent summary.

Discussing religion is rather 'Cellar-like' but it is relevant in this thread.

More recent immigrants/religions tend to all into the category of your last paragraph. We might not like it but you can understand their logic. My immigrant father was the same but, in fairness to him, he has been going to a few matches at OT every season since the 1960s. My maternal great grandfather was West Country Baptist [Chapel] and so blue from before WWII. Anyway, enough Christmas catharsis for one year. ;)

Relevant but probably inaccurate. I know plenty of Blues who are Catholics and most people I see at the game I wouldn't know what religion they are.

I don't think religion is significant to this thread - apart from the small number of fans who are a bit obsessed with that Scottish pub team Millwall tribute act!

It's more a historical reference than now, many two city clubs had those religious divisions in the football teams, it's just not so relevant any more. Except in Glasgow.

OK mate. I think Gary James has posted on here before that we originally had fans of various religions and many fans had moved to Manchester from different parts of the British Isles to find work.

I think age is a bigger factor with us at the me t having lost out on a lot of potential fans in the 25 to 40 age bracket through a lack of success.

We have tremendous support overall and we will continue to grow. I see some kids in Trafford playing football in Barca tops (and very few rag tops) and we could be attracting more of these youngsters and their families!

Many Blues are surprised when I tell them that there are hundreds of Blues in Stretford who support our great Club.

Mankymeat FC said:
coleridge said:
Mankymeat FC said:
I went to St Catherine's and Barlow. Right in the heart of Didsbury. The pub across the road from Barlow (Parrs Wood Hotel) is full of United fans and always has been since I was a kid. The street I grew up on, has 100 houses and there were 3 families that I can remember as being City fans. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE was united. There was even bunting out for the 85 cup final. I didn't meet proper city fans until I went to Xaverian College and 3 of my mates worked on the turnstiles at Maine Road. They used to let us gib in for free. Although, this backfired at the Derby when Cantona scored and loads of us jumped up and down in the Kippax. Coins, lighters, gob...everything was being lobbed at us. Then a nice policeman opened a gate and we were allowed to run up the side of the pitch and into the away fans who were in the corner of the kippax.

I know all your references. I had a a brief spell playing for the St Caths Saturday League team through an MCFC director's son. It was mostly blue. You are talking about Catholic schools which were mostly your lot. Funny that 'EVERYONE was united' but you had three mates that worked at Maine Road. I am 'Old School' Didsbury and I don't accept your analysis whatsoever.

I also played for St Cath's team. I don't agree with your memory at all. The manager Fr McGarry was a red. And I can name at least 8 players who were reds. (Feely, Pollard, Connor, A Schilling, Moran, Carthy, Donahue, James...

My name is schilling and Anthony is my cousin. The only rag in a family of blues. Father McCarry - a marvellous man by the way. I went to beaver road and all blues - it must be a catholic thing!

worsleyweb said:
Mankymeat FC said:
coleridge said:

My name is schilling and Anthony is my cousin. The only rag in a family of blues. Father McCarry - a marvellous man by the way. I went to beaver road and all blues - it must be a catholic thing!

Anthony's Dad is a season ticket holder at the swa...theatre of dreams. Has been for 30+ years. His brother Micky is also a red, as is his step brother John. I didn't know there were Schillings out Salford way! Merry xmas to you and yours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.