Who is bigger in Manchester? City or Utd?

BlueAnorak said:
There are 2 splits in Manchester support, by Geography & Forebears Religion..

Geographically:
Central, East, South Manchester are mostly blue North Manchester mostly Red.
Further Out: Rochdale Mostly Red, Oldham 50/50, Tameside & Stockport - Mostly Blue, Trafford & Salford - Mostly Red
Bolton - Mainly Red (Blues 3rd) Bury 50/50 (Prestwich & Whitefield Mainly Blue - rest Mainly Red.

Forebears Religion:
Though not as dramatic a divide as elsewhere in the country there is a heafty divide into the club followed. Historically the following loyalties existed:
Jewish - Mainly Blue.
Chapel (Methodist/Baptist/Congregational) - Mainly Blue.
CofE - Mainly Blue
Catholic - Overwhelmingly Red.

All of which were diluted by "Glory Seeking" - Utds very poor performance between the wars (when football became the national sport), The sympathy for Utd generated by the Munich Air Crash in the late 50's and Utd's total dominance of the Premier League between 1992-2008

A decent summary.

Discussing religion is rather 'Cellar-like' but it is relevant in this thread.

More recent immigrants/religions tend to all into the category of your last paragraph. We might not like it but you can understand their logic. My immigrant father was the same but, in fairness to him, he has been going to a few matches at OT every season since the 1960s. My maternal great grandfather was West Country Baptist [Chapel] and so blue from before WWII. Anyway, enough Christmas catharsis for one year. ;)

Growing up in Timperley and going to secondary school in Altrincham, in my class of 30 lads there were maybe 2-3 City fans. This was in the mid-late 90s when they were at their height and we were at our nadir. I'd agree totally with the match going thing, go into most pubs in Altrincham when the rags are on and it's packed, if were playing you can pick your seat. I'd say though Timperley-Alty-Hale is very much a red area.

Speaking to my missus nephew whose 15 and goes to St Ambrose in Hale Barns, apparently there's a lot of Blues in his class now. I'd be interested to know how the balance of power is shifting in the schools now with blue vs red. I think fundamentally south Mcr heading into Cheshire will always be more of a red area.

coleridge said:
BlueAnorak said:
There are 2 splits in Manchester support, by Geography & Forebears Religion..

Geographically:
Central, East, South Manchester are mostly blue North Manchester mostly Red.
Further Out: Rochdale Mostly Red, Oldham 50/50, Tameside & Stockport - Mostly Blue, Trafford & Salford - Mostly Red
Bolton - Mainly Red (Blues 3rd) Bury 50/50 (Prestwich & Whitefield Mainly Blue - rest Mainly Red.

Forebears Religion:
Though not as dramatic a divide as elsewhere in the country there is a heafty divide into the club followed. Historically the following loyalties existed:
Jewish - Mainly Blue.
Chapel (Methodist/Baptist/Congregational) - Mainly Blue.
CofE - Mainly Blue
Catholic - Overwhelmingly Red.

All of which were diluted by "Glory Seeking" - Utds very poor performance between the wars (when football became the national sport), The sympathy for Utd generated by the Munich Air Crash in the late 50's and Utd's total dominance of the Premier League between 1992-2008

A decent summary.

Discussing religion is rather 'Cellar-like' but it is relevant in this thread.

More recent immigrants/religions tend to all into the category of your last paragraph. We might not like it but you can understand their logic. My immigrant father was the same but, in fairness to him, he has been going to a few matches at OT every season since the 1960s. My maternal great grandfather was West Country Baptist [Chapel] and so blue from before WWII. Anyway, enough Christmas catharsis for one year. ;)

Relevant but probably inaccurate. I know plenty of Blues who are Catholics and most people I see at the game I wouldn't know what religion they are.

I don't think religion is significant to this thread - apart from the small number of fans who are a bit obsessed with that Scottish pub team Millwall tribute act!

Ruddles81 said:
Growing up in Timperley and going to secondary school in Altrincham, in my class of 30 lads there were maybe 2-3 City fans. This was in the mid-late 90s when they were at their height and we were at our nadir. I'd agree totally with the match going thing, go into most pubs in Altrincham when the rags are on and it's packed, if were playing you can pick your seat. I'd say though Timperley-Alty-Hale is very much a red area.

Speaking to my missus nephew whose 15 and goes to St Ambrose in Hale Barns, apparently there's a lot of Blues in his class now. I'd be interested to know how the balance of power is shifting in the schools now with blue vs red. I think fundamentally south Mcr heading into Cheshire will always be more of a red area.
Depends on which side of the Airport.
Heald Green, Cheadle Hulme & Woodford are majority blue areas, Wilmslow 50/50, Hale & Hale Barns have a red majority.

A lot of each club's traditional heartlands were governed by the bus routes to the grounds - Hyde road and Maine road for us of course, as you can see in the diagram above. The slum clearance programme mixed things up and of course the sky generation's fad for glory hunting.

Something I've noticed is that a number of kids change allegience when they are 9-14. Lots come to city when they realise how tacky, shallow and showy man united are. There's something much more lovable about city and a fair few realise that as they get older.

I bet not many will admit it, but they are out there. Little kids don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to football.

Having left Manchester for West Yorkshire 10 years ago now I can tell you that there are loads of kids supporting city at my kids school and at their football practice. What's interesting though is that 5 years ago the most popular shirt would have been United. Now it's Barcelona. The kids are unashamed glory hunters now and that works in our favour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.