Who is bigger in Manchester? City or Utd?

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
west didsblue said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Are the red circles empty seats?

That survey done by MMU was researched by a well known rag activist who jumped ship and set up FC Mini Me's and is still a board member of said club.
That wasn't the MMU survey. It was a MEN survey.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...l-news/manchester-derby-map-men-survey-687267

Sorry, I was quoting on both, the red circles on the MEN bit and then referring back to the OP's comment on the MMU survey, which was written by a well known rag
Are you sure. This is the MMU survey http://www.e-space.mmu.ac.uk/e-space/bitstream/2173/12506/1/seasonticketreport - brown1.pdf I remember at the time City fans latched on to it as it showed that a higher percentage of City's support was based in Manchester.

However I think that's a bogus argument. If you analysed Glossop North End's database, I'm sure you'd find they have a higher percentage of Glossop based supporters than both Utd and City. The smaller a club is, the more concentrated it's support will be in its locality.

What matters is that as a club grows it continues to attract support from its traditional support base in addition to new supporters. At the moment I think a lot of City's new support is lapsed old supporters returning to the fold.

United have more if you take a throwaway "I support United" comment at equal value as a match goer - choosing not to there isn't much in it. It's hard to judge it subjectively and find a balance between quantity and passion for football - which is right? You might get 8 United fans and 5 City fans at a table, 80% of those City fans are match going fans who actually care about football beyond the table chat, while the same can be said for 50% of the United fans - the end result is the same for both.

[/quote]

In the 70's and 80's in South manchester ie withington burn age, Didsbury and over to Stockport as I was growing up we outnumbered United massively - at school in Didsbury I would say there were more Liverpool fans than United fans and all my mates were blues. That said I have mates who grew up in places like Chorlton , higher broughton etc who would talk about being the only blues in their class. round altrincham and into Cheshire was also very red! I reckon overall probably more reds as the outskirts in the west and north and the big populations of Salford eto were pretty red. Didsbury though was blue.

Mind you i suspect all those Liverpool fans and their kids weren't supporting Liverpools by the late 90's and became rags so things evened out with rag success[/quote]

That sounds like complete bollocks. I went to school in Didsbury from 81 - 92 and there were about 10 city fans in my entire year at secondary school and 1 Liverpool fan. I can still name them all.[/quote]

Well 10 kids was virtually my entire year at primary school and at secondary school Blues were most common then Liverpool , United even Leeds. Assume you were at parrs wood?[/quote]

I went to St Catherine's and Barlow. Right in the heart of Didsbury. The pub across the road from Barlow (Parrs Wood Hotel) is full of United fans and always has been since I was a kid. The street I grew up on, has 100 houses and there were 3 families that I can remember as being City fans. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE was united. There was even bunting out for the 85 cup final. I didn't meet proper city fans until I went to Xaverian College and 3 of my mates worked on the turnstiles at Maine Road. They used to let us gib in for free. Although, this backfired at the Derby when Cantona scored and loads of us jumped up and down in the Kippax. Coins, lighters, gob...everything was being lobbed at us. Then a nice policeman opened a gate and we were allowed to run up the side of the pitch and into the away fans who were in the corner of the kippax.

Mankymeat FC said:
I went to St Catherine's and Barlow. Right in the heart of Didsbury. The pub across the road from Barlow (Parrs Wood Hotel) is full of United fans and always has been since I was a kid. The street I grew up on, has 100 houses and there were 3 families that I can remember as being City fans. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE was united. There was even bunting out for the 85 cup final. I didn't meet proper city fans until I went to Xaverian College and 3 of my mates worked on the turnstiles at Maine Road. They used to let us gib in for free. Although, this backfired at the Derby when Cantona scored and loads of us jumped up and down in the Kippax. Coins, lighters, gob...everything was being lobbed at us. Then a nice policeman opened a gate and we were allowed to run up the side of the pitch and into the away fans who were in the corner of the kippax.

I know all your references. I had a a brief spell playing for the St Caths Saturday League team through an MCFC director's son. It was mostly blue. You are talking about Catholic schools which were mostly your lot. Funny that 'EVERYONE was united' but you had three mates that worked at Maine Road. I am 'Old School' Didsbury and I don't accept your analysis whatsoever.

How many of the EVERYONE actually went and still do to games?, maybe us blues don't stand out because in the main we are not braying gobshite's strutting about giving it the big one and actually attend games instead of being riddled with insecurities and feel the need to congregate in the local singing nursery rhymes with the rest of the soap-dodgers basking in their reflected glory.

There are 2 splits in Manchester support, by Geography & Forebears Religion..

Geographically:
Central, East, South Manchester are mostly blue North Manchester mostly Red.
Further Out: Rochdale Mostly Red, Oldham 50/50, Tameside & Stockport - Mostly Blue, Trafford & Salford - Mostly Red
Bolton - Mainly Red (Blues 3rd) Bury 50/50 (Prestwich & Whitefield Mainly Blue - rest Mainly Red.

Forebears Religion:
Though not as dramatic a divide as elsewhere in the country there is a heafty divide into the club followed. Historically the following loyalties existed:
Jewish - Mainly Blue.
Chapel (Methodist/Baptist/Congregational) - Mainly Blue.
CofE - Mainly Blue
Catholic - Overwhelmingly Red.

All of which were diluted by "Glory Seeking" - Utds very poor performance between the wars (when football became the national sport), The sympathy for Utd generated by the Munich Air Crash in the late 50's and Utd's total dominance of the Premier League between 1992-2008

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.