Who we really should buy in the summer..

I definitely think Vertonghan is a good shout. He's already hinting at an exit if Spurs don't qualify for the CL. Left-footed and the Belgian connection. He was in the PL team of the year last year (then again, so was Rio Ferdinand) and he's a great age. Just a question of price. Spurs have a habit of taking the piss with prices. And if they do that, then we might as well splash out on Mangala instead.

I'm With Stupid said:
I definitely think Vertonghan is a good shout. He's already hinting at an exit if Spurs don't qualify for the CL. Left-footed and the Belgian connection. He was in the PL team of the year last year (then again, so was Rio Ferdinand) and he's a great age. Just a question of price. Spurs have a habit of taking the piss with prices. And if they do that, then we might as well splash out on Mangala instead.

Definitely a good shout. I'd rather see us sign him for £30-odd million than Mangala. I've heard good things about Mangala but we don't have time to wait for a young player to develop into his full potential. We need someone who is ready now, in their prime, with experience in a top European league. Vertonghan for me all day long. Failing that, Hummels.

Elsewhere, we need a new RB to support Zaba (and sell Richards for whatever anyone will pay), a decent CM to support Toure and Fernandinho (Fernando sounds like the best answer), and maybe a new left-sided winger with plenty of pace.

Priorities though are a new world-class CB and a back up RB.

I don't think we need to get rid of Joe Hart at all. I see quite a lot of people demanding better quality in his position, and based on a few costly mistakes I could certainly see why, but since his return he's been fantastic. He's been doing his job very quietly, making the odd save here and there - but the one difference between now and earlier in the season is that he's not coming off his line as much as he used to. If he can get back to anywhere near the form he showed between January 2011 and May 2012 then there's no need for us to buy a new goalkeeper at all.

I think Nastasic will be Vincent's eventual long-term partner. He's suffering from a run of injuries and a knock in confidence at the moment, but his good form will come back. Demichelis and Lescott won't be around forever (I can't see either of them being at the club by the time the 2015/16 season starts) so we'll need some replacements. We seem have identified Mangala as the other, while next season we're probably going to assess whether Karim Rekik is good enough to take over full-time. At the moment, Kompany doesn't have a partner we all have faith in, so one of those arriving in the summer would be great.

In midfield, I think we're alright on the wings. We have plenty of options, with Nasri, Silva, Jesus Navas and Milner all good enough to take us on to next season. In central midfield is where we have problems. As good as Garcia has been in recent weeks, and as much promise as Rodwell showed at the end of Mancini's reign, the drop down in quality from Yaya Toure and Fernandinho is worrying. Again, we've identified Fernando as a target and that should see Rodwell hit the exit door. Perhaps the promotion of Lopes into the first team will see Milner take up a more central role?

I think we're fine up front. Jovetic may be injury prone, and Aguero may get the occasional strain, and Dzeko may be hopeless at times, and Negredo may go missing when Aguero's not around. But all four of our forwards possess unique qualities that no other team has. There aren't many teams in world football who can boast the quality we do up front. Question: does any team in world football have a third striker who can score upwards of 15 goals a season? We do in Dzeko. I can't think of anyone else who does.

So like it should have been after we won the title, a couple of tweaks and we'll be sorted in all departments for another year. Title's ours next season.

If we were to go after any PL defender (which I don't really advocate) then David Luiz would be my choice. He'd be perfect for our style of play and most of his problems at Chelsea come from being asked to play a very deep line, which doesn't suit him at all. A lot of the criticism of him are for doing things that Kompany also does all the time as well, it's just that we intentionally play that way as opposed to Chelsea, who are somewhat forced to play very deep to accomodate John Terrys inability to leave his own penalty box. He'd make the odd mistake, but no more than Demichelis or Kompany, while having the pace to actually make up for any mistake he or VK makes (I think they'd be perfect partners for each other tbh) while offering us the kind of composure and passing to play out from the back.

Demichelis actually reminds me a lot of Luiz, but just much less mobile and without his ability on the ball. So if Demichelis's style is what Pellegrini wants from his defenders then I think Luiz would suit him perfectly. I doubt Chelsea would sell him to us though

BigOscar said:
If we were to go after any PL defender (which I don't really advocate) then David Luiz would be my choice. He'd be perfect for our style of play and most of his problems at Chelsea come from being asked to play a very deep line, which doesn't suit him at all. A lot of the criticism of him are for doing things that Kompany also does all the time as well, it's just that we intentionally play that way as opposed to Chelsea, who are somewhat forced to play very deep to accomodate John Terrys inability to leave his own penalty box. He'd make the odd mistake, but no more than Demichelis or Kompany, while having the pace to actually make up for any mistake he or VK makes (I think they'd be perfect partners for each other tbh) while offering us the kind of composure and passing to play out from the back.

Demichelis actually reminds me a lot of Luiz, but just much less mobile and without his ability on the ball. So if Demichelis's style is what Pellegrini wants from his defenders then I think Luiz would suit him perfectly. I doubt Chelsea would sell him to us though

And at the very least we would be even more exciting to watch than we are now. Bore draws would turn into at least 1-1s (David Luiz free kick followed by O.G).

BigOscar said:

The Demichelis comparison is a fair one.I too think he would be ideal for our style and I think Kompany would be a great influence on him.

27 in April,a great age for a centre half.

Mata to the rags proves anything is possible.

I know it won't happen, but what about Shawcross? Always liked his attitude, even tho he's from the Rags academy.

But a defensive four of: Zabaleta - Kompany - Shawcross - Kolarov, damn.

Bruun said:
I know it won't happen, but what about Shawcross? Always liked his attitude, even tho he's from the Rags academy.

Not good enough on the ball, would stick out the same way lescott does in our team. I like David Luiz for us, but I doubt chelsea would sell him to us

thesilvalining said:
Bruun said:

Not good enough on the ball, would stick out the same way lescott does in our team. I like David Luiz for us, but I doubt chelsea would sell him to us

And he's an ex-rag!! Shawcross would be a massive backwards step. As for Kolarov...he's great going forward and can cross a good ball, but he's a woeful left back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.