Who will be our closest challenger for the league?

Who is most likely to challenge us for the league?

• Tottenham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

• Man Utd

• Chelsea

• Total voters
I believe we will struggle with motivation this season. I trust Pep to get the best out of the players, but we've seen how difficult it is the retain a title - never mind doing it 4 years in a row off the back of the greatest season in English club history. I think our squad is weaker this season, and others have improved.

We're lucky that United, Liverpool and Chelsea are all in a transitional period. Arsenal are the most obvious candidate to challenge us. Right now, I wouldn't say I 'expect' us to win the league again. If we do, that is Pep's greatest achievement in his managerial career.

Pep will be looking his players in the eyes to see whether they are up for this season. Logic says that last season will be very hard to follow, but Pep's teams have broken records and defied expectations. It's pure guesswork right now, but I think Arsenal are under a lot of pressure to do well because Arteta has spent more than half a billion pounds. This may be their undoing. Liverpool finished well last season and may be a threat. We shall see. United can't keep relying on the ref to get them 3 points surely...but they will be a threat too - however, they are not good enough right now. Chelsea will be better this season. Couldn't get much worse mind you, but don't think they will challenge ultimately. Newcastle may struggle to get in the top 4 this time round. So, I am backing the perennial cup side Luckerpool to challenge for the league, but expect them to implode because heavy metal football is not a sustainable approach in the modern game.

It might actually help us a bit if Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs are stronger this year. Last year nobody was giving Arsenal much of a game for most of the season and as a result they picked up a lot of momentum. This time round more teams will take points off each other and in that scenario we are the course and distance winners in the field. Hopefully.

I think Liverpool will be our closest challenger for a few reasons.

- They've had their off year and haven't won it for 3 seasons so they'll be hungry.
- They are the only team that have proved they can stay with us and get 90+ points.
- Klopp can rest players in the Europa as they only need top 5 so can focus on the league.
- Mac Allister and Szoboszlai will revitalize their midfield and Diaz will be like a new signing.

In terms of their squad, it's similar to ours in that it's not big but the first 14 players are very high quality.

GK: Allison - one of the best keepers in the league
DEF: Van Dijk, Konate, Matip, Robertson, Alexander-Arnold - Maybe needed refreshing but still good
MID: Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Thiago Alcantara - Good quality but light on numbers
FWD: Salah, Diaz, Nunez, Jota, Gakpo - very good strength in depth

I will say that I think their title aspirations are highly dependent on signing a defensive midfielder though.

- They've had their off year and haven't won it for 3 seasons so they'll be hungry.
- They are the only team that have proved they can stay with us and get 90+ points.
- Klopp can rest players in the Europa as they only need top 5 so can focus on the league.
- Mac Allister and Szoboszlai will revitalize their midfield and Diaz will be like a new signing.

In terms of their squad, it's similar to ours in that it's not big but the first 14 players are very high quality.

DEF: Van Dijk, Konate, Matip, Robertson, Alexander-Arnold - Maybe needed refreshing but still good
MID: Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Thiago Alcantara - Good quality but light on numbers

I will say that I think their title aspirations are highly dependent on signing a defensive midfielder though.
They will be top three due to being able to concentrate on the league and far less potential games. Hopefully Salah is past his best and the front 3 are not as good as when they had Mane and Firmino too all at their peak. They always needed another top centre back.

Plus they will be back on the inhalers this year

They will be top three due to being able to concentrate on the league and far less potential games. Hopefully Salah is past his best and the front 3 are not as good as when they had Mane and Firmino too all at their peak. They always needed another top centre back.
Yeah, I think if there's one weakness it's their defence. Still looks decent on paper but feels a bit stale.

cannot vote on the poll as it is dependent on the caciedo/lavia transfer, chelsea sign them I say them, red scouse sign them I say them

arsenal I have no worry about and the rags, gonna love laughing at them finish 6th

I believe we will struggle with motivation this season. I trust Pep to get the best out of the players, but we've seen how difficult it is the retain a title - never mind doing it 4 years in a row off the back of the greatest season in English club history. I think our squad is weaker this season, and others have improved.

We're lucky that United, Liverpool and Chelsea are all in a transitional period. Arsenal are the most obvious candidate to challenge us. Right now, I wouldn't say I 'expect' us to win the league again. If we do, that is Pep's greatest achievement in his managerial career.
How long can the rags be in transition for before people realise its just them been what they are.
Average.
Same as before the pissed up bully arrived

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.