Why are we being linked with mid level signings?

Davs 19 said:
Stoned Rose said:
pee dubya said:
They're both well known strikers around Europe, if you've not heard of them it's totally irrelevant, since it's down to your ignorance and not their quality.

If Brendan hasn't heard of them they must be shite.

Close the thread.

I can only hope that Brendan has been on the most successful fishing trip of all time. Nobody on planet earth could manage such a level of self importance and ignorance at the same time....

Tell us you've been fishing Brendan, please.................

I can only hope he is!

I agree with Soldado, i think he is a very underrated striker. Has a lot to his game, but really guys... what do you see in Negredo? If we want to sign Negredo, we might as well start signing players on the same shelf as Darren Bent. He was a proven Premier league scorer before he signed for Villa wasn't he?

Negredo will offer us no more than Darren Bent would, a lot of people slate Dzeko regularly, but he is by far a better player than Negredo. Why sell world class players like Tevez and buy top class average like Negredo?

Seriously this forum makes me piss myself at times, a lot of people seem to not rate Jovetic and when players like Negredo are mentioned, a big lump up front... everyone seems to whip their c***s out and toss themselves off. Why do we honestly need a big lump who hasn't even got a first touch? I think people get themselves bogged down in the idea of having a target man... but why buy a target man who will stuggle to hold the ball up for us? Benteke is a much better option.

Also, people who constantly slate Jovetic because he doesn't look as flashy as players like Isco on youtube, need to seriously sit down and watch a proper game of football. The guy is class and is in the ilk of players like Silva and Aguero. That is the type of player we should be aiming for, players who will make a difference!

Same was said for Neymar when he played against England... "oh he is shit and overrated" but yet now want to talk about him as the next big thing because he has shown some of you up? Give over. Same goes for Isco too, soon as people saw a glimpse of him in the Under 21 Tournament, everyone talked about him as if he was Messi!

Jovetic is constantly underrated by some on here because people saw a glimpse of him against England and did not like what they saw. Take a leaf out of my book and sit down and watch him throughout the course of a season. Stats mean fuck all to me, you can twist them any way you want. Don't give a shit whether Negredo has better stats than a player like Jovetic, all i am saying is Jovetic will make it to the top, Negredo won't. Fact.

BigOscar said:
Bayern have plenty of players in there squad who people on here would turn their noses up at and it didn't seem to hurt them. They bought a 28 year old CB with no caps of a mid table side for about £4m last year, who was a key part of them winning everything this year(Dante). Some on here would have been calling for the board to be sacked if we'd signed him

But he was not bought for the first team - he was bought for the bench. Bayern already has their CB-Pairing for the future and in the season 2011/12 apart from some minor blips Boateng and Badstuber were already very good. And there was still van Buyten who might not be first choice - but who is a very good second choice.

Mandzukic was not bought as first striker either. He was bought as a second different version to be a substitute - in the season before there was no decent substitute for Gomez. Pizarro as the third striker.

They took their chance... Dante had the advantage that at the beginning there have been a lot injuries - both left backs got injured in a match against Napoli and Badstuber like this had to play left back. Later on, when Alaba came back, Badstuber and Boateng had first smaller injuries - then Badstuber ruptured his cruciate ligament.

And Mandzukic - Gomez had a planned operation after the last season - but fell out much longer than planned. Mandzukic from the beginning of the test matches just had an absolute great understanding with Müller and Robben when it was about movement and switching positions - looked like the have done that for years.

What I want to say with that...

Mid level signings are ok when it means the bench - but not to initially improve the squad. You can get lucky with them - like Bayern did last year when really every signing was a success - but I can tell you about all of the players Bayern had on their bench in the recent years that never got playing time, and a lot have not been very cheap...

The best were the direct South America imports - I cannot remember one of them that was a success whereas Bayern was pretty successful with South Americans that had already played somewhere else in Europe or better Germany before.

Surprised that 'pidge' hasn't rolled around yet for a sneer and slapdown fest....

BillyShears said:
citizens_1976 said:
Exactly. They won the league at a canter and they did not even have a midfield last season. This is why we need to bring in QUALITY and not quantity. Negredo is just another Javi Garcia signing. Make up the numbers type of player. Fuck him off and aim higher.

It's hard to take you seriously when you're saying Negredo is shit and extolling the virtues of Jovetic and Benteke. I've watched Jovetic play enough in the last two years to say comfortably whoever signs him will have had their fucking pants down because he just isn't all that. As for Benteke, well with respect, Negredo is 10x the player Benteke is. D'you remember Amir Zaki? For Benteke see him.

Ultimately though we've employed Txiki and Pellegrini to make these calls so rather than crying about them and trying to equate this summer to last summer when we had a completely different set of problems and people dealing with the problems last summer, you should be a little more circumspect in your panic.

I know I'll take this for saying this but it absolutely astounds me that for the last 12 months this forum bent over itself to excuse the Italian, yet he's gone and suddenly everyone at the club is either incompetent or on some sort of trial basis with Bluemooners decrying "the jury's out!".

Your judging Jovetic off his goal ratio and a striker, but he is much more than that. I guarentee that your basing your judgement off that ONE england game and even then i thought he was the best player on the pitch. If you think Negredo is a better player than Negredo then you are UTTERLY deluded. Jovetic is a very clever footballer with an amazing first touch. He brings players into games, has excellent movement, can beat players, has a good range of passing and scores goals, whats not to like? He is a highly technical footballer just like Silva, Aguero and Nasri.

Ok... so you say Negredo is better than Benteke yes... on what basis is he better?

Tell me what attributes Negredo has over Benteke... I will tell you my thoughts.

Pace= Benteke
Aerial= Benteke
first touch= Benteke
better two feet= Benteke
Better technical footballer= Benteke
Better passer= Benteke
Physically stronger= Benteke
younger and more potential= Benteke

I honestly cannot pick a attribute relevant to their roles where Negredo is better than him. He is slow and is not very mobile, Benteke on the other hand is mobile.

As for Zaki, well... he did not have the attributes Benteke possesses and could not do it over a full season, Benteke did and i fully believe will keep on improving.

Benteke has played against premier league centre backs and has had them for breakfast, Negredo would need more time to settle. Not worth the risk at all.

citizens_1976 said:
BillyShears said:
citizens_1976 said:
Exactly. They won the league at a canter and they did not even have a midfield last season. This is why we need to bring in QUALITY and not quantity. Negredo is just another Javi Garcia signing. Make up the numbers type of player. Fuck him off and aim higher.

It's hard to take you seriously when you're saying Negredo is shit and extolling the virtues of Jovetic and Benteke. I've watched Jovetic play enough in the last two years to say comfortably whoever signs him will have had their fucking pants down because he just isn't all that. As for Benteke, well with respect, Negredo is 10x the player Benteke is. D'you remember Amir Zaki? For Benteke see him.

Ultimately though we've employed Txiki and Pellegrini to make these calls so rather than crying about them and trying to equate this summer to last summer when we had a completely different set of problems and people dealing with the problems last summer, you should be a little more circumspect in your panic.

I know I'll take this for saying this but it absolutely astounds me that for the last 12 months this forum bent over itself to excuse the Italian, yet he's gone and suddenly everyone at the club is either incompetent or on some sort of trial basis with Bluemooners decrying "the jury's out!".

Your judging Jovetic off his goal ratio and a striker, but he is much more than that. I guarentee that your basing your judgement off that ONE england game and even then i thought he was the best player on the pitch. If you think Negredo is a better player than Negredo then you are UTTERLY deluded. Jovetic is a very clever footballer with an amazing first touch. He brings players into games, has excellent movement, can beat players, has a good range of passing and scores goals, whats not to like? He is a highly technical footballer just like Silva, Aguero and Nasri.

Ok... so you say Negredo is better than Benteke yes... on what basis is he better?

Tell me what attributes Negredo has over Benteke... I will tell you my thoughts.

Pace= Benteke
Aerial= Benteke
first touch= Benteke
better two feet= Benteke
Better passer= Benteke

I honestly cannot pick a attribute relevant to their roles where Negredo is better than him. He is slow and is not very mobile, Benteke on the other hand is mobile.

As for Zaki, well... he did not have the attributes Benteke possesses and could not do it over a full season, Benteke did and i fully believe will keep on improving.

Benteke has played against premier league centre backs and has had them for breakfast, Negredo would need more time to settle. Not worth the risk at all.

I think Negredo is as good as Negredo.

Is Benteke for sale

citizens_1976 said:
BillyShears said:
citizens_1976 said:

Pace= Benteke
Aerial= Benteke
first touch= Benteke
better two feet= Benteke
Better passer= Benteke

Benteke has played against premier league centre backs and has had them for breakfast, Negredo would need more time to settle. Not worth the risk at all.[/qu

I don't think Negredo is a better player than Negredo so at least I'm not deluded :)

I'll tell you an area where Negredo has it over Benteke....

Goals scored.. Pretty important for a striker wouldn't you say ?

citizens_1976 said:

Pace= Benteke
Aerial= Benteke
first touch= Benteke
better two feet= Benteke
Better passer= Benteke

We'll have to agree to disagree mate. As far as centre forwards go, I'd much rather Negredo (or Soldado) than Benteke any day of the week.

As far as Jovetic goes, I can assure you I've seen him play more than just once.

It's a game of opinions though. Will be interesting to see who Txiki and MP plump for and how the players do. This is the first window where the two men have some control over shaping the future of the squad. They will rise or fall by their decisions but if Fernandinho and Navas are anything to go by, I'm incredibly excited about their judgement on players.

The myth that the premier league is some uniquely tough league that noone outside it could possibly adapt to is probably the most annoying of all the footballing myths. (Just above the myth that pace is very important, or that putting in a shift is more important than having talent)
Benteke didn't seem to find it that hard to adapt, but then again he had been playing in the mighty Belgian Pro League. Michu didn't seem to bothered, neither did Aguero, Ba, Cisse, etc etc etc. Strikers in general haven't seemed to struggle with the "enormous leap" to our mythically tough league. I hate the Mark Hughes style of thinking where people place "PL experience" on some ridiculous pedestal

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.