Why deJong needs to be benched!

I like Nige, and there are times when I am very thankful that he is in the team. But he needs to learn to carry the ball forward. Just having him stood 5 yards instead the opposition half looking for a pass rather than in our how half would change the focus of the game greatly. I read that in the Ajax youth system he showed promise as an attacking midfielder, and he scored for Holland occasionally, so is it our tactics that are to blame predominantly? It's all too easy to ask him to just clear up and then play it safe, what we need is for a dynamic driving force to carry us forward.

But tonight is not the time to change things imo - he's a key player and any potential replacements are not exactly playing any better.

blueplan said:
To some of you it might be unthinkable. Hear me out!
We may have reduce the goals score on us but our goal for has decreased. A salient reason is at beginning of the season when we counterattacked we scored at breathtaking pace. Why?

'We don`t break with the same speed and flair' thats why

Thats why we need to address the 'retardation' of our counterattack. We need to deploy players not only with pace but also with power, SPEED and pace to 'breakaway'. Also players who can FINISH!

1. Thats why we need Richards (3 goals), over Zabaleta ( 0 goals), and SWP to work in tandem.
2. We should consider Kolo (2 goals, can score, pass, tackle and defend) who can be an useful creative and holding DM as compared to deJong (0 goals, lack creativity and can't score even if given time and space).
3, Sorry to say deJong's only forte is as a defensive midfielder. He should be brought on as a sub when we are leading or need to sub Barry!
4. IMO Kolo and Barry might be a better pairing than Barry & deJong (a too defensive pair and defeat the purpose of having one holding MF only) or Vieira (if he is fit and available) and Barry.

Thats why I propose deJong on the bench (incidentally he was still injured at the beginining of the season)and our team will be a balanced team with more attacking bite without sacrificing our defense.

Yes does Mancini have the cojones to go for a win every match which he promised!

http://mancityblueplan.blogspot.com/

No to dropping DJ for Toure (laughable)

No to dropping DJ for Vieira

No tom bringing him on 'when we are leading'

If you're looking for a bit more pace on the counter then get Ireland in the middle

bluetonium said:
I like Nige, and there are times when I am very thankful that he is in the team. But he needs to learn to carry the ball forward. Just having him stood 5 yards instead the opposition half looking for a pass rather than in our how half would change the focus of the game greatly. I read that in the Ajax youth system he showed promise as an attacking midfielder, and he scored for Holland occasionally, so is it our tactics that are to blame predominantly? It's all too easy to ask him to just clear up and then play it safe, what we need is for a dynamic driving force to carry us forward.

But tonight is not the time to change things imo - he's a key player and any potential replacements are not exactly playing any better.

To be honest i had never heard of De jong until the Euros just before Hughes signed him. IIRC he was one of the players of the tournament and one of the things I remember about him in the couple of games i watched was him getting forward occasionally and pinging in long rangers.

Honestly i can't remember if he scored or not but he did have some belting long range shots on goal, i just don't get why he doesn't get forward and do that for us. Even if he doesn't score it would change the dynamic of the oppositions midfield and defence. As the opposition would have to come out and close him down just in case. Which would in turn create space for our other attacking players to exploit.

Been saying the same as the OP all season - all for De Jong in against a Chelsea or Arsenal - where it is a scrap - but for me he slows our play down far too much and i honestly believe its been to Barrys detriment that he has played

Would love us to go with Jonno - Barry - ireland - Sweep in the middle for most games but for Chelsea De Jong needs to play

Re: Why deJong needs to be benched at Stoke!

This topic is adjunct to my proposal to counter Delap's Javelin's throws.

Lately our opponents have no fear of our counterattacks because of our scoreless and tentative toothless bite in our attacks. The strategy here is to dovetail it with our Rapid Counterattack Strike force which is briefly suggested in my previous post.
<a class="postlink" href="http://mancityblueplan.blogspot.com/2010/02/does-mancini-have-cojones.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mancityblueplan.blogspot.com/201 ... jones.html</a>
1. Interposed a City Player such as Ade between Delap at the touchline and our goalposts i.e in his LOS (line of sight). The important thing is Ade should force Delap to arc the ball ( not allowing him to 'spear' the ball) by jumping or anticipating his throw.
2. Our strategy here is to be proactive. Attack Delap's ball by heading or targetting it to either to one of our 2 players . One on both flanks (SWP & Ade) or in the middle if our 2 speedy flankers are covered tightly.
3. The whole notion here is to be proactive and by deploying our rapid strike force who can finish, our opponents will not be gungho in Delap's setpiece.
http://mancityblueplan.blogspot.com/

Yeh - lets drop the most combative, intelligent, best tackler, and inspirational player in terms of work ethic at the club. Liverpool would have sliced through us like butter last Sunday without him.
Slows the play down? - he tackles, he gives it simple without attempting some impossible through ball that leaves us flailing and out of position if it doesn't come off - he's there as cover to enable the others - Barry, Ireland, SWP Johnson to do the fancy stuff and glory passes.
Christ - this is the sort of player we've been missing and crying out for for years - but I guess in these unreasonable times of demanding immediate success he's the latest casualty of our present fickleness.

Personally, in my opinion, not asking others to agree, but if everyone was fit (and not cup tied for tonight or in Argentina) my team would be:

-------------------Given-----------------

Richards----Kompany---Lescott-----Bridge

SWP--------Ireland-----De Jong---Johnson

-----------------Tevez-------------------

----------------Adebayor-----------------

Then you have the likes of Bellamy, Barry, Zabletta, Toure, RSC etc on the bench, a good standard of players. Lets face it, there will be injuries, suspensions etc that mean most, if not all the players will play a fair few matches.

Just my opinion, feel free to slate it...

Oh, and Kompany for captain!!

Was about to post that I agree with you on that team except for Ireland/Barry, but then I though this is exactly our problem _ Barry and NDJ in the centre is not working. Barry does not have the pace to play box to box and NDJ doesn't like to get forward, so we suffer a lack of mobility and involvement in key forward areas.

But it's not as dire as it sounds - I still feel a couple of wins and we are up and flying.

GaudinoMotors said:
Yeh - lets drop the most combative, intelligent, best tackler, and inspirational player in terms of work ethic at the club. Liverpool would have sliced through us like butter last Sunday without him.
Slows the play down? - he tackles, he gives it simple without attempting some impossible through ball that leaves us flailing and out of position if it doesn't come off - he's there as cover to enable the others - Barry, Ireland, SWP Johnson to do the fancy stuff and glory passes.
Christ - this is the sort of player we've been missing and crying out for for years - but I guess in these unreasonable times of demanding immediate success he's the latest casualty of our present fickleness.

Fuck me get off your high horse -and stop over reacting - football is about opinions not everyone agrees - i cant see anywhere in this thread that anyone is demanding instant success.

In my opinion against most teams he plays the ball too slowly, to me this is detrimental to the players we have in the team at present - and does not play to our strengths which is fast counter attacking football.

Against teams like Liverpool, Chelsea Arsenal and even spurs and Villa De Jong has a role to play - not against teams like stoke or bolton for example for me

Asasdickyheart said:
GaudinoMotors said:

Fuck me get off your high horse -and stop over reacting - football is about opinions not everyone agrees - i cant see anywhere in this thread that anyone is demanding instant success.

In my opinion against most teams he plays the ball too slowly, to me this is detrimental to the players we have in the team at present - and does not play to our strengths which is fast counter attacking football.

Against teams like Liverpool, Chelsea Arsenal and even spurs and Villa De Jong has a role to play - not against teams like stoke or bolton for example for me

Irony

Follow your own advice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.