Why deJong needs to be benched!

Blue>Red said:
Fair point but i still think De Jong reads the game better and is better at breaking things up, so he would be my choice for DM, whereas an attacking midfielder will be the playmaker

I agree that De Jong is the best holding midfielder we have.

What I don't understand is why we don't play Barry slightly further up the field, get him into the game a bit more!!

Timmmmahhhh said:
Blue>Red said:
Fair point but i still think De Jong reads the game better and is better at breaking things up, so he would be my choice for DM, whereas an attacking midfielder will be the playmaker

I agree that De Jong is the best holding midfielder we have.

What I don't understand is why we don't play Barry slightly further up the field, get him into the game a bit more!!

like i mentioned before, alongside ireland or even in a 2 man midfield ahead of de jong, will have to have a look what goes on tonight

For me, De Jong is one of the first names on the team sheet, his role is invaluable and he's one of the better ones around atm, head and shoulders above Mascherano, another league to Scholes and Anderson, surpassed Essien at our palce this season, a different planet to Song and Denilson... then there's Palacios, Reo Coker, Felani.

All teams at the top of the league seem to employ a DM nowadays, even Bolton (Muamba), Blackburn (N'Zonzi), Sunderland to an extent (Cattermole).

Go a little further, Goals this season by De Jong's counterparts:
Mascherano: G:0 A:1
Essien: G:3 A:0
Mikel: G:0 A:0
Anderson: G:1 A:2
Scholes: G:1 A:4
Song: G:1 A:1
Denilson: G:3 A:1
Muamba: G:0 A:0

The one's that tend to play an identical role to De Jong: namely Mascherano, Muamba & Mikel have a total of 0 goals and 1 assist between them this season. Denilson and Essien who have both played a further forward role at times this season haven't scored more than 3 goals and Scholes is by far the most prolific in assists with a mighty 4.

What i'm trying to say is; De Jong's role isn't to score and create goals, and i can never understand why, when we're winning, he's great and when we're not he should be benched, unbalance the side just so we can squeeze another goalscorer on the pitch.

If Adebayor, Tevez, SWP, Bellamy can't score goals then we're in trouble. With Johnson, Petrov, Ireland, RSC and Barry in the frame as well, we really don't need to be scrutinising our defensive players for more goals.

What interests me most about the coaches/ managers comments in this thread is that most would include Ireland in the lineup. Makes me wonder if you have been present at the matches he has played this Season.

But of course you have , you are picking the team after all.

AntonDonJuan said:
I'd rather drop Barry then De Jong

Yep, theyre both now essentially defensive midfielders, in that Barry has limited his game in light of becoming England's water carrying holding player, and a very adequate one at that. Contrary to what people might have thought about Barry, despite being Villa's penalty taker and appearing to grab a few goals, he is not a box-to-box midfielder as he clearly doesnt have the legs/or quality to take on this role at the top end of the premiership. If Liverpool had signed him, hed of been as a replacement for Alonso, again playing behind the likes of Gerrard/now Aquilani as a midfield anchor.

Im not saying he hasnt been successful in his role with England, but realistically speaking; Is Gareth Barry better than De Jong in that role, certainly not. He certainly has an advantage passing wise, but there is no competition between the two when it comes to positioning and tackling, as De Jong has mastered the two most important weapons that a "DM" possesses.

Barry is so easily replaceable its untrue, whilst Nige really is a gem in that role.

GStar said:
For me, De Jong is one of the first names on the team sheet, his role is invaluable and he's one of the better ones around atm, head and shoulders above Mascherano, another league to Scholes and Anderson, surpassed Essien at our palce this season, a different planet to Song and Denilson... then there's Palacios, Reo Coker, Felani.

All teams at the top of the league seem to employ a DM nowadays, even Bolton (Muamba), Blackburn (N'Zonzi), Sunderland to an extent (Cattermole).

Go a little further, Goals this season by De Jong's counterparts:
Mascherano: G:0 A:1
Essien: G:3 A:0
Mikel: G:0 A:0
Anderson: G:1 A:2
Scholes: G:1 A:4
Song: G:1 A:1
Denilson: G:3 A:1
Muamba: G:0 A:0

The one's that tend to play an identical role to De Jong: namely Mascherano, Muamba & Mikel have a total of 0 goals and 1 assist between them this season. Denilson and Essien who have both played a further forward role at times this season haven't scored more than 3 goals and Scholes is by far the most prolific in assists with a mighty 4.

What i'm trying to say is; De Jong's role isn't to score and create goals, and i can never understand why, when we're winning, he's great and when we're not he should be benched, unbalance the side just so we can squeeze another goalscorer on the pitch.

If Adebayor, Tevez, SWP, Bellamy can't score goals then we're in trouble. With Johnson, Petrov, Ireland, RSC and Barry in the frame as well, we really don't need to be scrutinising our defensive players for more goals.

Whilst I agree with several of your points and it's a decent post, referring to Scholes as a defensive midfielder is possibly one of the worst comments ive read on here, and is an injustice (albeit a dirty git) to probably the best English FOOTBALLER of his generation. The guy has been pure genius.

I said the same thing, that DeJong shouldn't be in the starting line up, a couple of months ago.
He adds nothing to the team offensively and we have other more creative midfielders who could do the same holding job but add a more attacking threat as well.

Without doubt, DeJong's best game was vs Chelsea, where we as a team all played well but we were a touch fortunate to win.
The real thing about that game though was it was played at pace and our better, more skillful players went out and did their stuff.

So perhaps it's not DeJong's fault after all. Maybe the other players have to lift their game as they did against Chelsea.

Mattyc55 said:
Whilst I agree with several of your points and it's a decent post, referring to Scholes as a defensive midfielder is possibly one of the worst comments ive read on here, and is an injustice (albeit a dirty git) to probably the best English FOOTBALLER of his generation. The guy has been pure genius.

The positions he adopts are almost identical to De Jong for the most part, as he has aged and his legs have gone he has moved into a much deeper role.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.