Why didn't you go to the Leipzig game?

Kevin effing Parker does not speak for me and never has done. I cringe whenever he pipes up.

You might do. So might others. But for me the manager crossed a line criticising supporters.

People have had to suffer and have suffered real financial hardship over the last eighteen months. Our manager earns a ridiculous amount of money, and him giving it out is both disrespectful to people who can't make the extra financial sacrifice and also those who have paid for tickets.

Our support ever since he's joined the club has been exceptional. He's had some great atmospheres and despite the ambivalence from some towards the CL, it's produced our best atmospheres. Add to that away fans packing every away end, and even selling out less glamorous ties such as Rotherham etc.

Like I say, everyone is different, but I won't accept a bloke earning £18m a year giving it out to supporters. It's piss poor and if the club had any backbone then the men at the top would be telling him to shut the fuck up.

I personally couldn't give a shit about the media or rival fans, I just despise our fans being dragged by our own manager.

Last edited:
I really think Pep's behaviour has been odd for some time. I thought his sobbing about Sergio leaving and the 2am phone call to Noel Gallagher singing and smoking a cigar seemed very out of character. Some of his press conferences last season were bizarre (even by his standards). I also think his mood swings before the CL Final must have got to the players.
I rate Pep as the greatest Manager we have ever had (or ever will have) but it doesn't mean he is above criticism. City have had a hostile media and a PR problem for a decade. Contrary to those who say it doesn't matter I believe the reputation of the club is critical to us attracting wider support and the constant negative coverage has damaged us. It's about time the club as a whole got a grip on its communications strategy. That includes customer services, our website, our social media, and what Pep says to the media. I would also like to hear a lot more from Khaldoon (who is a class act in the media when he does talk).

Great post.
But unfortunately the present portrayal of our club began the day Mansour bought it.
Nothing to do with anything other than who bought it, And the effect it had on the system as was in place.

I did go. Had to take time off work and money is tight as it is, but I went. Pep needs a slap.

As a season ticket holder, I was not remotely bothered by Pep’s invitation to supporters. I was there on Wednesday, and I intend to be there on Saturday, but despite having a ticket, I may not make it up from South Oxfordshire next Tuesday; I’m sure Pep won’t hold it against me and I don’t doubt that he understands all the multitude of reasons why people can’t make every game.

The fact that people make a story out of or get worked up about his comments is beyond pathetic.

The team has scored 21 goals in its last four home games so the manager is quite entitled to invite supporters that could but aren’t planning to come the next game, which experience tells us will be tough, to come and cheer the team on.

I get completely the idea that people want him to watch his words so that he doesn’t feed one of the tiresome narratives perpetuated about our club, which some of the media and rival supports cling onto because they are desperate for something to use to try and put us down: they have very little to go at because the team plays beautiful football and breaks record after record…

The media etc are always going to find ways to criticise but this stuff is not that important in my mind. Just look at Paul Merson’s quote this week about our neighbours in Trafford’s performance against Young Boys: “Manchester United couldn’t get out of their half. If that was Manchester City with ten men, Young Boys wouldn’t have touched the ball”. Now that tells you about important perceptions.

I have lived away from the Northwest for the last 31 years and in recent times, I have started to see kids with City shirts where I would not have previously done so; even our latest neighbours’ boys have a City football (no idea if they are actually fans). In the very long queue for the park and ride recently at Silverstone the family behind us were I think Dutch UK residents but they weren’t bedecked in orange; however, their son had last season’s City away shirt on. Our support is widening and growing and it won’t be impeded by “Empithad” bollocks.
Well said mate.

We have to get these minor incidents in perspective. The City fan base is growing globally. This is because of the beautiful football our team plays under Pep‘s stewardship.

The media picking up on a passing comment by Pep is not going to make the slightest difference to the juggernaut that is City.

This tiresome ’drama’ will blow over very quickly in the crazy 24 hour news cycle that we live in, and we will continue to roll forward exactly like we are - the best club team in the world.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.