Why do you support Manchester City?

M24 Citizen said:
bretonblue said:
M24 Citizen said:
How the F is it a compliment?
I don't get why even some local United fans use it as well - unless it really is because they are just that stupid. Their non-local fans are in effect mocking the city (questionable) of the team they support.

I think you guys need to relax. Ever heard the stories of foreigners saying GOONERS? for Gunners. Is that offensive or FUN! Those of us in other countries find the accents associated with the teams FUN and INTERESTING and NO OFFENCE MEANT. Wow. Calm down and enjoy life. Just because some people do it as offence doesnt mean everyone does. Never saw the Gooners getting mad or angry about that... Note to self, never, ever
use the term Citeh when talking about CITY. It is extremely offensive and can lead to a fight. wow...

I was relaxed, but I understand it's hard to perceive emotion through text. I was just totally bemused as to how a term used to mock an accent could be considered a compliment, hence the "how the F".

I've never heard those stories of foreigners saying Gooners. Im guessing your from Brittany so I'm not sure if you'd know of the insult 'goon' (meaning a fool) - I would bet that this is most likely where Gooners is derived from - I think Arsenal fans take this in jest (British humour) though because it isn't actually trying to mock them and isn't an offensive word (usually used as a joke).

I'm not having a go at you, just pointing out it is actually used to mock the Mancunian accent, and it's comical (much like the rest of their club) that rag fans use it for the reasons I said. Similarly if someone was to mock a Glaswegian accent on Celtic/Rangers forums I'm sure they wouldn't sound too welcoming about it either. Not having a go, just informing!

Couple of Chinese sat behind me in East Level 2 last night taking off City chants. They were a bit irritating but only student types having a laugh. Hopefully, next time they turn up they will join in with the songs at the time. I can forgive them for not knowing the new Zaba one.

im a fan through family brainwashing!

went to games i cant remember but my 1st memory is beating Luton 3-1 and I now know that was the weekend after we had beaten United 5-1 in 1989. I remember the rush from City scoring a goal and the noise was really alien to me, that many people all shouting at once .

but yeah, no glamorous story, just a regular tale of being taken by my grandad to sit in my grandma's season ticket seat, in the main stand towards end platt lane end

Born in Ladybarn , I honestly do not remember a rag , apart from my uncle Bob from the Welsh estate .

Auntie Marie used to "mind bikes" @ Thorton Road to supplement her war widows pension ( the house was later knocked down and rebuilt ).

I used to go to Maine Road at primary school age with Peter Butterworths dad Philip .

I later learnt to ride a motorcycle on the back carpark @ Maine Road 56 years ago on cousins Dereks BSA C15 .

Today I am going to the match against CP with Peter Butterworth , I would bet Peter last went 50 years ago , Peter and me have been mates over 60 years know .

Great great memory's , waiting for the "big lads" to leave the Talbot , all walking up Ladybarn lane , down Moseley Road , up Wilmslow Road , across Platt Fields , down Yee Tree Road (?) , turn left down Thornton Road , turn right through the back entry on to the back car park - I could do this blind folded -.
I am so looking forward to today with Peters company .

COMME ONNE CITTTEEEE !!!!!!!

WOW ! How do you put into words, 46 years of undying support,passion,love,loyalty,ups,
And many downs.I've always said that city have ruined so many weekends over the years,
You could be looking forward to something really nice,night out,new girlfriend,out with mates,
Partying,playing football,then city would get beat and ruin another weekend,my mood swings
Are determined by city's results,(never told my wife)

Born and grew up for a few years in withington,dad and grandad took me in 1969,have some early memories,the old north stand,platt lane,kippax, always loved the place,but I grew up hating the rags from an early age,hard to explain why,but now I detest everything they stand for,Moyes just typifies them so much,so I can carry on hating them with such passion.

My passion for city grew and grew in the 70's,going to away games, with Helen on A coach with my grandad,he took me all over the country.When we won the FA cup against Stoke I shouted grandad at the top of my voice,nobody heard thank god,he died in 86, he was such a character I know that's who had endoctrined me years earlier.

Moved to irlam in later 60's plenty of mates,but my best freinds tend to be blues,wouldn't of expected anything different.Always view any blue a mate,here's a funny example, only on Boxing day I was in thee jjb gym at the TC,

A bloke with a city t-shirt on,got a months membership for christmas as a present,Don't think he new how to spell gym,not a clue what he was doing,so as blue I shown him,how to operate a few machines,kept a close eye on him, had to show him again and again,not a clue. Actually felt sorry for him, he was making a twat of himself,next thing he's doing calf raises (hope you know what they are) left his feet on the floor and nearly tipped the machine over BANG! Fucking hell mate are you ok laughing.

NOW THE POINT IM MAKING IS? IF HE HAD A RAG SHIRT ON I WOULD OF NOT HELPED HIM! AND I WOULD OF ENJOYED THE LAUGH ! Ctid

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
As per thread title.

In my case all our side of the family were blues, my Dad went to the record breaking Stoke City cup game at Maine Road in '34 as a nipper, and he used to take me to Maine road to watch Bert, Waggy and Nelly as a kid....

Was it simply you were brought up as a blue, or is there some other reason?

Been asking that question myself for years not a fucking clue to be honest just the club that felt right always support them never ever anyone else

Some tough times though but never once felt fuck it and never will regardless of where we are in the league or indeed which league we are in

Got my first football top on Xmas 1976 and it was Citys. My brother got the Liverpool top at the same time. We were both made up but didn't know much about how good either teams were being knee high to a grasshopper and Scottish. Either way we've both stuck it out ever since and I've never regretted it for a moment. To appreciate the current highs I think you need to experience the lows and we've had a fair few at City lol!! I have blue blood in my veins and will be CTID. Thanks mum and dad!

The first ever game of premier league i watched was the 4-3 derby in 2009. I naturally went for City as the were the underdogs back then and I have followed them ever since.

Cop a bit of flack over here for supporting them for the money but.

Tim of the Oak said:
M24 Citizen said:
bretonblue said:
I think you guys need to relax. Ever heard the stories of foreigners saying GOONERS? for Gunners. Is that offensive or FUN! Those of us in other countries find the accents associated with the teams FUN and INTERESTING and NO OFFENCE MEANT. Wow. Calm down and enjoy life. Just because some people do it as offence doesnt mean everyone does. Never saw the Gooners getting mad or angry about that... Note to self, never, ever
use the term Citeh when talking about CITY. It is extremely offensive and can lead to a fight. wow...

I was relaxed, but I understand it's hard to perceive emotion through text. I was just totally bemused as to how a term used to mock an accent could be considered a compliment, hence the "how the F".

I've never heard those stories of foreigners saying Gooners. Im guessing your from Brittany so I'm not sure if you'd know of the insult 'goon' (meaning a fool) - I would bet that this is most likely where Gooners is derived from - I think Arsenal fans take this in jest (British humour) though because it isn't actually trying to mock them and isn't an offensive word (usually used as a joke).

I'm not having a go at you, just pointing out it is actually used to mock the Mancunian accent, and it's comical (much like the rest of their club) that rag fans use it for the reasons I said. Similarly if someone was to mock a Glaswegian accent on Celtic/Rangers forums I'm sure they wouldn't sound too welcoming about it either. Not having a go, just informing!

Couple of Chinese sat behind me in East Level 2 last night taking off City chants. They were a bit irritating but only student types having a laugh. Hopefully, next time they turn up they will join in with the songs at the time. I can forgive them for not knowing the new Zaba one.

Yes, i think you true and long CITY fans have to give us newer 'global' fans a break as we do not know the true 'insults' behind some of the
accents, slogans, etc. I did read about the GOONERS, and even saw a site called Gooners, so thought it wasn't offensive. I am sorry if i offended anyone with CITEH, as I thought it was fun and ok. Now 'bin-dippers' sounds like an insult. lol. Again, apologies if I offended anyone.

In my time as being a blue we have changed grounds, managers have come and gone, players have come and gone the badge has changed but the loyalty, humour and passion of the fans never changes we just love city

Started watching footy seriously during the 70´s.. Became a blue eventually because I liked the style of play, that´s it really. It´s not like my dad supported City or any other club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.