Why do you support Manchester City?

Been a blue since i was about 7or 8 growing up in cheetham hill im now 44 anyway my dad was a big city fan and always took me and my brother to maine road we use to sit on the wall at the front loved the buzz of the game.My dad took us to the cup final v spurs both games and ever since then been hooked.I live in warrington and worked local but in the dark days of third tier football i used to get stick nearly every day about how crap my team was i always replied "were only a couple of players from having a good team".Anyway i remained positive we beat gillingham in the play offs then the rest is history as agueros goal turned it full circle. born a blue and ctid.

I am just a youngster from New York, so for many years my exposure to the Premier League was limited. When I was just 7 years of age, in January of 2003, I was at a friend's house and his father was watching the Blues game against Fulham. He kept telling me how Shaun Wright-Phillips was the future of football at just 21 years of age. He scored a late beauty and that was that as our boys took the match 4-1. I was amazed by his quickness and creativity, and of course by our sky blue kits. From that day forward, SWP was my favorite footballer and Manchester City my club.

BlueLonghorn said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
As per thread title.

In my case all our side of the family were blues, my Dad went to the record breaking Stoke City cup game at Maine Road in '34 as a nipper, and he used to take me to Maine road to watch Bert, Waggy and Nelly as a kid....

Was it simply you were brought up as a blue, or is there some other reason?

I was born and raised in Austin, Texas and I grew up playing soccer. I have no ties to Manchester. When I was 15 I tried out for the best club in Austin and made the team, and the colors were sky blue and white. At the time, the only way to follow professional footy was through Soccer America newspaper and the occasional Sunday Times at a bookstore. I didn't have a single team that I followed, but rather followed the sport through papers/magazines and the occasional late night program like Soccer Sensations Made In Germany with Toby Charles, and 1990 World Cup and Mexican league games on Spanish language channel Univision.

One late night in 1991 when I should have been in bed hours before, one of our sports channels showed Manchester City vs Arsenal at Maine Road. Manchester City had the same color uniforms as my club team, which matters to a 16-year old kid. The game was so much stronger and faster than the German highlights or Mexican games. City won 1-0 from a David White goal and that planted the seed. City finished 5th or 6th that season and that made the seed grow, and the next season the Premier League started up and I was able to see the occasional City match on TV. I always looked for their results in the papers or magazines I subscribed to.

I knew I was hooked when I continued to look for City's results even after relegation to Division 1, and then Division 2 thanks to the MCIVTA newsletter. During the Division 2 season I was at college and I followed the season through MCIVTA and other websites, and when City beat Wigan in the semi-finals I spent all the money I had saved up from working for the past 2 semesters on a plane ticket to London. Through MCIVTA I met a very nice family that hosted my friend and I for a week and helped us find a ticket to the playoff final against Gillingham. To this day THAT game at Wembley in 1999 is the only time I have seen City play live, and the best sports moment I have been a part of.

I have added a couple other City fans to the small, but growing number of City fans in Austin, and I have met several expats that have welcomed us into the ranks of Blues supporters. I started supporting City because of the team colors, but I have remained a City fan for 22 years because I felt like a part of a family. Blues are good people.
Bored at work I have read the whole thread.
There have been some cracking posts but this one is easily my favourite.
For some of us Blues it seemed like an exclusive club when growing up around Manchester as most of my mates were Rags.
I know no different, I've never been aware that you could choose a team to support, you just do.
It is like being born a Christian, Jew or Muslim - you just are born into it.
Being born and raised in Altrincham to a long line of Benchill via Bradford Mcr Blues I didn't get a choice.
I used to go with family members in the early days and then when I was about 9 or 10yrs old 1984ish me and my mate Milney used to get the 108 from Timperley to sit on the Kippax wall close to the halfway line. Brilliant days even when we were shit.
All 3 of my kids are Blue's and my Daughter who is pregnant will be giving me a Grandchild in March who will become a Blue - in fact I presented a gift to her Rag boyfriend on Xmas day with a bib I had made which say's "I support Man City because my Grandad says so !".
Brilliant thread keep those stories rolling in :) CTID

M24 Citizen said:
bretonblue said:
Ban-jani said:
Don't mind it.

At least we're not cockneys shouting "yaaaniiiitiidd"

LOL. It was meant as a compliment. That is how it sounds to me, and i have seen it spelled that
way. I think i heard it in the 5 minute video also - the video of THE match when Aguero scored
for the TITLE.

How the F is it a compliment?
I don't get why even some local United fans use it as well - unless it really is because they are just that stupid. Their non-local fans are in effect mocking the city (questionable) of the team they support.

I think you guys need to relax. Ever heard the stories of foreigners saying GOONERS? for Gunners. Is that offensive or FUN! Those of us in other countries find the accents associated with the teams FUN and INTERESTING and NO OFFENCE MEANT. Wow. Calm down and enjoy life. Just because some people do it as offence doesnt mean everyone does. Never saw the Gooners getting mad or angry about that... Note to self, never, ever
use the term Citeh when talking about CITY. It is extremely offensive and can lead to a fight. wow...

bretonblue said:
M24 Citizen said:
bretonblue said:
LOL. It was meant as a compliment. That is how it sounds to me, and i have seen it spelled that
way. I think i heard it in the 5 minute video also - the video of THE match when Aguero scored
for the TITLE.

I don't get why even some local United fans use it as well - unless it really is because they are just that stupid. Their non-local fans are in effect mocking the city (questionable) of the team they support.

I think you guys need to relax. Ever heard the stories of foreigners saying GOONERS? for Gunners. Is that offensive or FUN! Those of us in other countries find the accents associated with the teams FUN and INTERESTING and NO OFFENCE MEANT. Wow. Calm down and enjoy life. Just because some people do it as offence doesnt mean everyone does. Never saw the Gooners getting mad or angry about that... Note to self, never, ever
use the term Citeh when talking about CITY. It is extremely offensive and can lead to a fight. wow...
Don't worry about it mate, I'm certain there was no offence on your part.
I'm not even sure why anyone would be offended, the whole idea of being a Blue is part of the self deprecation that comes with it. I use the term CITEH myself sometimes to describe who I support and I live within 10 miles of the stadium.
Don't let 1 Blue put you off posting on this forum, I'm sure Ric didn't create it for Mancs only :)

Why support Manchester City? Because my dad sat me in the Platt Lane End in 1959 when I was 4. From there to the Kippax tunnel wall in either open corner etc to continuously end up where I am now in East level 3. You are only allowed to support one team but City have tested this law close to its limits on several occasions. Thankfully I am still here reaching compromises such as recognising Aguero to be the best city forward I have ever seen to protect the status of King Colin as my best City player. During this time I have always been proud to be a blue and I have loved sharing so many ups and downs with fellow blues no matter where you meet them. Being a blue is a bit special and sharing it with fellow blues is a great experience.<br /><br />-- Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:08 pm --<br /><br />
m7mcfc said:
Because I wanted to put myself through the mill, Villas mazy run, Halifax 1-0, selling Barnes and Owen, relegation in 98 and I just love rollercoasters.
It will be on telly again for the FA cup 3rd Rd introduction. I still sit there waiting for big Joe to dive on the ball. I have shared the same so I know exactly what you mean.

bretonblue said:
M24 Citizen said:
bretonblue said:
for the TITLE.

I was relaxed, but I understand it's hard to perceive emotion through text. I was just totally bemused as to how a term used to mock an accent could be considered a compliment, hence the "how the F".

I've never heard those stories of foreigners saying Gooners. Im guessing your from Brittany so I'm not sure if you'd know of the insult 'goon' (meaning a fool) - I would bet that this is most likely where Gooners is derived from - I think Arsenal fans take this in jest (British humour) though because it isn't actually trying to mock them and isn't an offensive word (usually used as a joke).

I'm not having a go at you, just pointing out it is actually used to mock the Mancunian accent, and it's comical (much like the rest of their club) that rag fans use it for the reasons I said. Similarly if someone was to mock a Glaswegian accent on Celtic/Rangers forums I'm sure they wouldn't sound too welcoming about it either. Not having a go, just informing!

bretonblue said:
M24 Citizen said:
bretonblue said:
for the TITLE.

He'snot having a go at you mate. I'm not born and bred Manchester too and perhaps the least likeliest to support this club from where I am, but he does have a point and that's how it rolls really. Some get more offended by it than others and it'sin their every right as the local fanbase as the locals are proud of the club and nowt wrong with that. Actually i do feel a bit of apprehension to when someones uses it as its drummed in me. I do remind this to my countrymen who just started testing the water in supporting the mad rollercoaster that is City. :)

You just have to take it as that is how it is. I dont think it takes away the fun of being a Blue!

I miss the kippax tunnels.

nothing will ever replace walking through them just before kick off on a big night match.

awesome.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.