Why don't we have a better atmosphere?

The reason we don't have a better atmosphere, in part, is due to the stadium itself. I remember a Tottenham fan described it as "A soul-less bowl". The actually stadium itself is poorly built for atmosphere, the same as the emirates.

The reason White Hart Lane and to a lesser extent, Goodison park punch above their weight in terms of atmosphere is due to the overlapping stands echoing noise among other things.

But alas, our stadium itself cannot take the full brunt of the blame as many times in Continental Europes have entirely open stadiums and still outsing us by about 10000 decibels (slight exaggeration).

stonerblue said:
Golden Balls said:
Etihad is a fantastic stadium with the ability to fit massive numbers inside. It has the 3rd highest capacity in the league yet it doesn't feel like that.

Watching the Norwich game and many others, the atmosphere is lifeless at times. It appears as though it's dead quiet for 5-6min and then a 40sec chant.

Why can't we have a group of supporters singing, clapping and chanting for the full 90min? Make it an intimidating place to come and get points.

Watching the Bayern game their away supporters were the only ones you could hear through the tele.

I'm CTID but please don't try to dispute this gents. Touchy subject but a point I felt had to be made...

rag
haha, beckham loving rag! ;)

Blue Blood CTID said:
I think there are far too many excuses for why the atmosphere is (imo) mediocre. It's not the roof, ground, design, demographics, location or length of time in the stadium (this excuse has been trotted out since 2003). I don't believe it's rocket science either. If 30000 people sing we will drown out 3000. We don't need to "put a nail here" or "put a nail there" or move away's up to L3, or remove/change/add roofs.

I am all for Dan burgers suggestion of bringing 109/110/111 and the south stand together. This seems the best and most logical situation to try and improve the atmosphere. But even re-locating, people still have to open their mouths to improve it more than anything.

-- Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:24 pm --

Mike N said:
Nothing to do with the stadium. We need the silent fans, the vast magority, to open their mouths! Why would you go to a game and say nothing until the team score, cheer once and then shut up? I mean, why?

Couldn't agree more. It defies belief that fans would turn up to support their team and then not support them. Why would you want to freeze you're nuts off when you can do the same thing watching on the telly?

Didnt you know? The "atmosphere" at the Etihad is all down to the "banter" with the away fans. Bit difficult to join in with "banter" from 50 yards away.

mannymanc said:
stonerblue said:
Golden Balls said:
Etihad is a fantastic stadium with the ability to fit massive numbers inside. It has the 3rd highest capacity in the league yet it doesn't feel like that.

Watching the Norwich game and many others, the atmosphere is lifeless at times. It appears as though it's dead quiet for 5-6min and then a 40sec chant.

Why can't we have a group of supporters singing, clapping and chanting for the full 90min? Make it an intimidating place to come and get points.

Watching the Bayern game their away supporters were the only ones you could hear through the tele.

I'm CTID but please don't try to dispute this gents. Touchy subject but a point I felt had to be made...

rag
haha, beckham loving rag! ;)

Gotta be.
Think she needs a new telly as well.

It's a bit rich to complain about the atmosphere as it doesn't 'sound good on TV'.

A bit like your mum making your tea and you turning to her and saying 'this tastes like shit, I could have cooked something much nicer'.

the amount of people that say this on this forum, if you got off your arse and did something about it maybe we would have an atmosphere. i personally dont think it is that bad, it can just go flat at times. like the majority of english teams, the atmosphere depends on what happens in the game/

Just like every other ground, we have our loud moments and our quiet moments.

Personally I don't give a toss, the match "experience" at the Etihad is fine for me.

cibaman said:
Blue Blood CTID said:
I think there are far too many excuses for why the atmosphere is (imo) mediocre. It's not the roof, ground, design, demographics, location or length of time in the stadium (this excuse has been trotted out since 2003). I don't believe it's rocket science either. If 30000 people sing we will drown out 3000. We don't need to "put a nail here" or "put a nail there" or move away's up to L3, or remove/change/add roofs.

I am all for Dan burgers suggestion of bringing 109/110/111 and the south stand together. This seems the best and most logical situation to try and improve the atmosphere. But even re-locating, people still have to open their mouths to improve it more than anything.

-- Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:24 pm --

Mike N said:
Nothing to do with the stadium. We need the silent fans, the vast magority, to open their mouths! Why would you go to a game and say nothing until the team score, cheer once and then shut up? I mean, why?

Couldn't agree more. It defies belief that fans would turn up to support their team and then not support them. Why would you want to freeze you're nuts off when you can do the same thing watching on the telly?

Didnt you know? The "atmosphere" at the Etihad is all down to the "banter" with the away fans. Bit difficult to join in with "banter" from 50 yards away.

Away fans are always 50 yards away aren't they? Think about it :D

cleavers said:
Don't you miss the "atmosphere" threads, its so long since we had one.

And it never fails to bring out that myth that the Maine Road atmosphere was the best in the world ever, or that its only the youngsters that sing....

Don't be silly, there's three threads on the first page. I could start another one if you want ... ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.