Why have we been written off?

probably the frail defense, especially judging by the last pre-season game.

Ever pundit I have had the misfortune to hear in the subject has used the defensive frailties shown by the reserves against Real Madrid and the "First Team" against Stuttgart as their reason for their prediction. In addition, I think there is a level of disapproval of Sterling (England's greatest young talent turned pariah!), regardless of the goals he has scored and the extra dimension he gives the team.

I think we have improved in a number of ways that seem to be being ignored. We have bought a player, Sterling, who is an out and out speedster, which allows us to play the long ball bypassing our free flowing midfield. That free flowing midfield had been considered our strongest asset, as it was the provider of both a few dozen goals every season and the provider of chances for the leagues most prolific striker. While it is one thing to ignore the team because we have "bought" success and have not strengthened our defence, it is impossible to ignore that in Joe Hart and Sergio Aguero, we have the Golden Gloves and Golden Ball winners from last season...."bad defence" and "oldest team in the league" headlines!

As usual, it is the teams that gobble media headlines that are all being touted. Good for them! Let them have the headlines today and lets just do what it is we do, quietly, effectively, and without drama....just as the good Sheikh likes....and let the so-called pundits have their 15 minutes of fame.

FWIW, I think it is a master stroke to give Pelle a new two year contract on the eve of the new season. Puts the only really negative drama point to bed...until they want to try to find drama where none exists, of course.

As a fan for almost 50 years, I actually LIKE the fact that we are not being talked about, because when we are it is almost universally negative. Heck, we just rolled out an unbelievable CFA, which is literally an incubator for future homegrown success, and yet we are either being chided for not giving these youngsters a chance (it has been open for about 6 months!!) or not even bigging up the likes of Denayer, a young Belgian international who won Scottish Player of the year while on loan from City! It boggles the mind how blinkered some in the media have become, and they would love nothing more than a quick return to the Sky Four (Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Liverpool) THEY created. Well, lads, sorry, but it ain't gonna happen any time soon!!

If we can blow WBA out of the water on Monday night, it will be the story of the week heading into the Chelsea game, and by two weeks into the League, the entire pre-season storyline COULD be being rewritten. Conversely, a lukewarm, Stuttgart-esque opener, followed by a loss at Stamford Bridge would play right into their hands.

COME ON CITY!!!

We are playing at home

a lot are saying "based on the squads currently" leaving them breathing room with the rest of the transfer window to come. Like Barbie Savage says United to win but Arsenal to win if De Gea leaves etc

i mean to think that Liverpool will finish above us is a joke .... Arsenal and The Scum will be more of a challenge this season and if we get a few new faces in and the players that didnt really perform last season do better for us this time, we've got every chance to finish top and in style.

We haven't strengthened the defensive midfield or our defense, so that's why the majority have said 3rd.

The ones saying (hoping) we won't get top 4 are ridiculous.

We only conceded 6 more goals than Chelsea last season and we also kept the most clean sheets. Denayar being part of the squad now you could argue we HAVE strengthened the defence.

You have to remember that most of the pundits don't watch City more than 2-3 times a year live and see the occasional set of highlights. They don't have anything like the same insight as to what's going on at the club as us fans, especially fans who know their football a bit. So when we under achieve like last season they don't really see the mitigating circumstances, the players out of form, the injuries, the bad luck, the decisions, as a whole. They haven't got the holistic view that enables some of us to see that sterling and Delph and De Bruyne strengthen us in exactly the right areas. Most of them don't see that Silva is the best player on the pitch in 75% of the games he plays.

For most of them it's all very binary, very simplistic, very cliched, parroted second hand, in the same way that of we are honest, most of of us see other clubs. 'United haven't got a midfield', 'arsenal are too tippy tappy', 'Liverpool haven't replaced Suarez' etc.

We underachieved last season and a lot are basing their opinions on that being our true level, which it wasn't. You hear it time and time again: "Chelsea were best by miles last season", which if you live your life by MOTD highlights probably looks true. But those of us who saw us dominate them twice know that we were and are a better unit and if we get things right this season, with the strengthening we have done, will win the league. We had the opposite when we won the league in 2012: they were all predicting a period of City domination, because they couldn't see the weaknesses underneath.

Once you accept that 80% of punters and journalists have 10% of the knowledge and insight of City that you have the penny drops.

Well put. Just forgot the 0% passion for the club.

We are playing at home
DOH! Thanks for the correction!

Worst part about that is that I'm actually flying four thousand miles, and bringing my son to the game, so I obviously already knew that! God knows why I thought it was at Stamford Bridge?! Getting old is a woman!

Glad to see things did not go so well at Stamford Bridge THIS week, though!!!

DOH! Thanks for the correction!

Worst part about that is that I'm actually flying four thousand miles, and bringing my son to the game, so I obviously already knew that! God knows why I thought it was at Stamford Bridge?! Getting old is a woman!

Glad to see things did not go so well at Stamford Bridge THIS week, though!!!

Indeed fuck em

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.