Why Moyes & Everton have us over a barrel...

bluemoon32 said:
sam221985 said:
Mark Hughes perceives that we desperately need him, many would disagree.

we desperately need some more quality defensive options but the single-minded obsession with that being Lescott is something I can't get my head around.

Same here, good enough player but he isn't anything special as a defender.
This whole thing shows the very worst of Hughes in the transfer market(where is normally very good), I can honestly see us not looking past Lescott and being fucked for the whole season with a weakened backline. I think Moyes sees this and is playing it for all he is worth, either way he wins, we pay way over the odds, or end up entering the season weak in the middle at the back.

rodders said:
Here's another theory re the influence of the world cup.

Let's suggest that we set the prem on fire and have a great season and push the top teams all the way to the wire. Not guaranteed but it's a real possibilty if everyone clicks. If Lescott was playing for us and we finished in the top4 it would instantly raise his prospects of being a serious option for defence in the world cup. I'm sure this will have crossed his mind at some point.

On the flip side the same could be said for Upson ( if he's a serious alternative ) as he and Lescott are next in line behind wobble gob and Terry in Englands back 4.

Whichever defender we eventually sign they will have increased exposure ( just like the rest of our signings ) because of the position in which we find ourselves. All eyes will be on us and whoever performs, or falters will recieve much more attention in general than when we were just another team battling for europa or mid table mediocrity.

It's an interesting theory but it misses the point that it is Everton and not Lescott who hold all the cards. Lescott is under contract and cannot leave unless they let him... normally a player would threaten to agitate his way into a move but Moyes could call his bluff knowing that to do so would almost certainly cripple Lescott's chances of playing in the world cup.

Cambridgeblue said:
rodders said:
Here's another theory re the influence of the world cup.

Let's suggest that we set the prem on fire and have a great season and push the top teams all the way to the wire. Not guaranteed but it's a real possibilty if everyone clicks. If Lescott was playing for us and we finished in the top4 it would instantly raise his prospects of being a serious option for defence in the world cup. I'm sure this will have crossed his mind at some point.

On the flip side the same could be said for Upson ( if he's a serious alternative ) as he and Lescott are next in line behind wobble gob and Terry in Englands back 4.

Whichever defender we eventually sign they will have increased exposure ( just like the rest of our signings ) because of the position in which we find ourselves. All eyes will be on us and whoever performs, or falters will recieve much more attention in general than when we were just another team battling for europa or mid table mediocrity.

It's an interesting theory but it misses the point that it is Everton and not Lescott who hold all the cards. Lescott is under contract and cannot leave unless they let him... normally a player would threaten to agitate his way into a move but Moyes could call his bluff knowing that to do so would almost certainly cripple Lescott's chances of playing in the world cup.

Granted, the club have the upper hand at present but the suggestions are that Lescott has only made a verbal request to talk to us at this point in time. Lescott has 1 card left. Put in a written request. I just think this will test the resolve of Kenwright/Moyes and they may relent if we up our bid a little, just like the rooney transfer.
Without doubt a written request will have negative consequences should everton stand firm but Lescott is a professional afterall and I'm sure he'll give his all if he remained. Moyes won't drop him. That would be childish.
The fans will give him grief but supporters are incredibly fickle. A few good performances under his belt and all will be forgotten.

nmc said:
Fending off a transfer doesn't always work. Look at Milan £100m at Christmas for Kaka - sold for less than £60m a few months later. Lescott will move on in the next 12 months maybe not for us but he will move on - and Everton may get £25m but they may end up taking £15m when the World Cup is over.

and kaka said he already knew he was going to real in january

THey dont have us over a barrel. We can and should walk away and take Jo whilst we are at it.

Upson and Hangerland are available and would cost a third of the money.

Are they a third as good ? I dont think so.

alera said:
THey dont have us over a barrel. We can and should walk away and take Jo whilst we are at it.

Upson and Hangerland are available and would cost half a third of the money. Ar they a third as good ? I dont think so.

An Upson & Toure partnership would do me fine.

Me also. Those players would also get in Arsenal and Liverpools squads very easily if not starting 11. And Villa and Evertons first teams.

alera said:
Me also. Those players would also get in Arsenal and Liverpools squads very easily if not starting 11. And Villa and Evertons first teams.

Toure has just been sold by Arsenal ?????? so Wenger considers him surplus to his requirements ....... When Jagielka is fit neither would get in Everton's 1st team .... NOT GOOD ENOUGH

alera said:
We can and should walk away and take Jo whilst we are at it.

writing_process.gif

1qwerty said:
alera said:

Toure has just been sold by Arsenal ?????? so Wenger considers him surplus to his requirements ....... When Jagielka is fit neither would get in Everton's 1st team .... NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Dont talk uninformed crap, Toure is twice the player Jagielka is and the only reason Arsenal sold Toure is he has been demanding a move since January. He basically saved them in the champions league games against the rags.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.