why pellegrini

My concern about Pellegrini is that he managed to achieve zero success whilst managing arguably the most expensively assembled and talented squad in the world when he was at Real Madrid.

kun said:
thenabster said:
AVB, Heynckes, De Boer, Laudrup, Klopp, Blanc would be much better choices than Pellegirini.
AVB - No better than Pellegrini
Heynckes - Retiring
De Boer - Yes please
Laudrup - No better than Pellegrini
Klopp - Not going to happen
Blanc - Not going to happen

Agreed, but I reckon its going to be Pellegrini. De Boer is just not a big enough name (yet).

Robinho's Subbuteo said:
My concern about Pellegrini is that he managed to achieve zero success whilst managing arguably the most expensively assembled at talented squad in the world when he was at Real Madrid.
Didn't he finish with Madrid's highest ever point tally at the time? 96 points was it? A win percentage of 76%. Barcelona were just unstoppable.

The problem was Perez didn't want him from the start and undermined him by selling key players. Lots of Madrid fans wanted him to stay.

Don't forget, Mourinho has only won a League title and League cup in 3 years there.

Why another Pellegrini thread?

Mods can't we have just one Pellegrini thread, please.

MP is not my first choice but I think and certainly hope that a lot of supporters will be pleasantly surprised by him.

Mancini's relationship with the players does appear to be broken and I think it will be much better with MP, and that alone will, I believe, make a major positive difference.<br /><br />-- Sun May 12, 2013 12:18 pm --<br /><br />
Robinho's Subbuteo said:
My concern about Pellegrini is that he managed to achieve zero success whilst managing arguably the most expensively assembled and talented squad in the world when he was at Real Madrid.

10 guitarists.

Robinho's Subbuteo said:

LoveCity,a few days back,provided a good insight into his year at Real,it was far more impressive than to what you suggest.

I believe,iirc,he achieved a record points haul while having players sold against his wishes and others brought in.He was only replaced as an opportunity to get the best manager in the world presented itself.

Robinho's Subbuteo said:

its an underwhelming option

FantasyIreland said:
Robinho's Subbuteo said:

LoveCity,a few days back,provided a good insight into his year at Real,it was far more impressive than to what you suggest.

I believe,iirc,he achieved a record points haul while having players sold against his wishes and others brought in.He was only replaced as an opportunity to get the best manager in the world presented itself.

I read a blog piece that ran through some of the things someone thought he was getting wrong in his early days at Madrid. Just one person who's credibility I have no idea about but it did seem to be trying to be objective and constructive. I'm sure he did make mistakes there and he will make mistakes at City but that does not mean he won't do a better job than Bobby. And, I am bloody certain that it is possible to do a better job than Mancini.

Sir Alex Ferguson may not be particularly keen to see the Engineer in England, as Pellegrini's Villarreal proved to be something of a bogey team for Manchester United. In their debut season in the Champions League, the Yellow submarine helped to eliminate the Red Devils from the group stage of the 2005/06 competition with two 0-0 draws against the English giants. The Spanish team topped the group, which also featured Benfica and Lille, while United finished last. In 2008/09, the two sides again met in the group stage, and both games were played out with the exact same outcome of two 0-0 draws.

7) Pellegrini is one of the few managers to split Barcelona and Real Madrid in recent years. His Villarreal team put together a string of six wins in a row at the end of the 2007/08 La Liga season to leapfrog Frank Rijkaard's struggling Barcelona. The Yellow Submarine finished second, behind Real Madrid, with Barcelona placing third. It was the final nail in Rijkaard's coffin in Catalonia, and he was replaced by Pep Guardiola the following season.

8) The coach finally had his shot at the big time with Real Madrid, who he joined in the summer of 2009. Though Madrid spent a fortune that summer in bringing in Xabi Alonso, Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo to name a few, Pellegrini's authority was undermined within weeks, with the club selling Wesley Sneijder and Arjen Robben against his will. "They signed the best players, but not the best players needed in a certain position. It's no good having an orchestra with the 10 best guitarists if I don't have a pianist", he later commented. “Real Madrid have the best guitarists, but if I ask them to play the piano they won't do so well”. Notably, both Robben and Sneijder went on to play major roles in leading Bayern Munich and Inter Milan respectively to the Champions League final in 2010.

9) After only a few months in charge at Madrid, Spanish sports daily Marca began a campaign against Pellegrini, and it is widely believed that president Florentino Perez played some part in the affair in order to path the way for Jose Mourinho's arrival at the Bernabeu. Despite problems off the field, Pellegrini's Madrid were a deadly attacking side, and the 96 points they chalked up in La Liga would have been a new record in Spain, were it not for Pep Guardiola's Barcelona, who achieved a phenomenal 99. "I'm a big admirer of Pellegrini, he's an extraordinary coach," Guardiola later commented, "His Real Madrid team deserved to be league champions."

10) The Chilean's time at Malaga has been equally turbulent, but again he has managed to produce the best from his players in a challenging environment. After finishing fourth in La Liga during his first full season in charge at La Rosaleda, the club looked set to begin the process of strengthening ahead of their debut Champions League campaign. Instead, they soon found their most important player, Santi Cazorla, being sold to Arsenal for €20m in order to pay off debts incurred by their absentee owner. Pellegrini managed to steer the crisis-hit club into steadier waters however, dissuading senior players like Jeremy Toulalan and Martin Demichelis from leaving, and keeping the core of the team together. Subsequently, he guided the club to within minutes of a place in the Champions League semi-final, after already becoming the only coach to take two different teams to the Champions League quarter-finals in their debut seasons in the competition.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/130418/10-things-chelsea-fans-should-know-about-manuel-pellegrini-195863#ixzz2T54CtfSP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/fea ... z2T54CtfSP</a>
Follow us: @talksport on Twitter
Read more at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/130418/10-things-chelsea-fans-should-know-about-manuel-pellegrini-195863#QmgOcRyfuthvB3sF.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/fea ... thvB3sF.99</a>

stanHayes said:
Sir Alex Ferguson may not be particularly keen to see the Engineer in England, as Pellegrini's Villarreal proved to be something of a bogey team for Manchester United. In their debut season in the Champions League, the Yellow submarine helped to eliminate the Red Devils from the group stage of the 2005/06 competition with two 0-0 draws against the English giants. The Spanish team topped the group, which also featured Benfica and Lille, while United finished last. In 2008/09, the two sides again met in the group stage, and both games were played out with the exact same outcome of two 0-0 draws.

7) Pellegrini is one of the few managers to split Barcelona and Real Madrid in recent years. His Villarreal team put together a string of six wins in a row at the end of the 2007/08 La Liga season to leapfrog Frank Rijkaard's struggling Barcelona. The Yellow Submarine finished second, behind Real Madrid, with Barcelona placing third. It was the final nail in Rijkaard's coffin in Catalonia, and he was replaced by Pep Guardiola the following season.

8) The coach finally had his shot at the big time with Real Madrid, who he joined in the summer of 2009. Though Madrid spent a fortune that summer in bringing in Xabi Alonso, Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo to name a few, Pellegrini's authority was undermined within weeks, with the club selling Wesley Sneijder and Arjen Robben against his will. "They signed the best players, but not the best players needed in a certain position. It's no good having an orchestra with the 10 best guitarists if I don't have a pianist", he later commented. “Real Madrid have the best guitarists, but if I ask them to play the piano they won't do so well”. Notably, both Robben and Sneijder went on to play major roles in leading Bayern Munich and Inter Milan respectively to the Champions League final in 2010.

9) After only a few months in charge at Madrid, Spanish sports daily Marca began a campaign against Pellegrini, and it is widely believed that president Florentino Perez played some part in the affair in order to path the way for Jose Mourinho's arrival at the Bernabeu. Despite problems off the field, Pellegrini's Madrid were a deadly attacking side, and the 96 points they chalked up in La Liga would have been a new record in Spain, were it not for Pep Guardiola's Barcelona, who achieved a phenomenal 99. "I'm a big admirer of Pellegrini, he's an extraordinary coach," Guardiola later commented, "His Real Madrid team deserved to be league champions."

10) The Chilean's time at Malaga has been equally turbulent, but again he has managed to produce the best from his players in a challenging environment. After finishing fourth in La Liga during his first full season in charge at La Rosaleda, the club looked set to begin the process of strengthening ahead of their debut Champions League campaign. Instead, they soon found their most important player, Santi Cazorla, being sold to Arsenal for €20m in order to pay off debts incurred by their absentee owner. Pellegrini managed to steer the crisis-hit club into steadier waters however, dissuading senior players like Jeremy Toulalan and Martin Demichelis from leaving, and keeping the core of the team together. Subsequently, he guided the club to within minutes of a place in the Champions League semi-final, after already becoming the only coach to take two different teams to the Champions League quarter-finals in their debut seasons in the competition.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/130418/10-things-chelsea-fans-should-know-about-manuel-pellegrini-195863#ixzz2T54CtfSP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/fea ... z2T54CtfSP</a>
Follow us: @talksport on Twitter
Read more at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/130418/10-things-chelsea-fans-should-know-about-manuel-pellegrini-195863#QmgOcRyfuthvB3sF.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/fea ... thvB3sF.99</a>

dam...

zandvoort blue said:
kun said:
thenabster said:
AVB, Heynckes, De Boer, Laudrup, Klopp, Blanc would be much better choices than Pellegirini.
AVB - No better than Pellegrini
Heynckes - Retiring
De Boer - Yes please
Laudrup - No better than Pellegrini
Klopp - Not going to happen
Blanc - Not going to happen

Agreed, but I reckon its going to be Pellegrini. De Boer is just not a big enough name (yet).

I'd take De Boer any day of the week if the managers position was open.
The guy is class, what he's done with Ajax is great. Last guy to do as well there was Van Gaal (I think) and he did alright for himself.
His work with there academy is what sells him for me. He could do the same here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.