Why we should believe we can win the title

Time to chuck my two penneth in....

You don't build a team around a number of players anymore, you build/promote/buy players that fit into your system

Why? because there are far too many games this season - potentially 60+ this season for our "core" players to play.

Over a period of time who would you say has been the most successful team in Europe over a sustained period with very little monetary outlay and coming from a relatively minor League????

The answer my friends is Ajax - why, because they have a system that they buy players who can play in THEIR system (Zlatan Ibrahamovic anyone?) or, as is more usual, they grow their own who have played inside the system since they were 10 or 11 years old, and who are then sold on for a profit - how many of the World Cup finalists came through Ajax's or their Academy's ranks?

So the aspect of gelling is irrelevant - it is the process of getting each player to know their own role within the team system (and the formation of the day), which means that the players can be interchangeable - especially if they are as flexible as a lot of our players are - Boateng, Kompany, Micah, Lescott, AJ, Silva... and Milner (he has even played at Right Back for Villa)

Mancini has made it clear that he wants two quality players for every position - by quality I would imagine he means with skill, class, flexibility but above all Intelligence!!!! hence why he made the comment about Micah and his head (that he appears to be fixing!) and why Patrick Vieira is in our squad as an example of this

We can win the League this season - why? Because we have better players than everyone else - on the whole and as a squad, I don't believe that in Arsenal's 21 man squad, Chelsea & Liverpool's 22 man squad and Utd's 25 man squad that they will have the quality that we have in buckets. Oh and where did I pluck the numbers from - Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool do not fulfill the Over 21 homegrown players and therefore their foreign number has to go down and be supplemented by U-21s

One last point in my tirade Celtic Pete - if you really believe we should've made Dunne & Ireland the backbone of our team you have got to be seriously overdoing the Guinness.... yes, alright Dunne was player of the year for a number of years running - but that was when his competition was bloody Danny Mills & Michael Ball - not the class that we currently have.

Celtic Pete said:
bakchod said:
bridge is good , no fcuk it we have to get kolarov ... ah shit we have to gel again .toure(lescott?) looks rock solid , are you serious we need to get someone like boateng but oh shit we have to gel again so drop it.

ohh and sorry to break your bubble , drogba isnt tevez .

Chelsea built a team around Lampard and Terry, it's still the core of the team. Barca did it with Puyol, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, the rags with Scholes et al.

Gotta keep your core players together, not flog em to Villa for peanuts.

sorry to say but they werent that core to us and we dont mind selling anyone for peanuts.

gio's side step said:
Celtic Pete said:
Yes, players that will run through walls for city. Put it this way, would I rather see Ireland lining up against us or Jame Milner? And Dunne is better than Kolo. You know this.

What you taking about? You put Dunne into Terry's class. That is completely ridiculous. And im not even wasting time explaining why. Can't be arsed conversing with someone with no football brain. I like Ireland. I like him more than Millner actually. But he's not in the class of Xavi, or those players you referred to. The point about keeping players as a core is a fair one, (IF THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH). This post was about believing we can win the title. I would certainly be posting an alternative 'dont fckin believe we can win the title' if we still had Dunne.

It's not about class, it's about building a team of core players that will always put in a shift and fight for you. Ireland is better than Barry and Milner. He had one bad season with injuries, he'll bounce back.

Dunne is better than Kolo and Slowlean.

They should have built the team around that core. Not ship them out for the next best thing.

I dont see any other team with a squad as strong as ours. I expect us to give it a really good go on all fronts this Season - the Premiership and the Cups.

Will we win it ? - maybe not. Should we win it? - probably not.

Can we win it - you bet your bottom Dollar !

Celtic Pete said:
gio's side step said:
What you taking about? You put Dunne into Terry's class. That is completely ridiculous. And im not even wasting time explaining why. Can't be arsed conversing with someone with no football brain. I like Ireland. I like him more than Millner actually. But he's not in the class of Xavi, or those players you referred to. The point about keeping players as a core is a fair one, (IF THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH). This post was about believing we can win the title. I would certainly be posting an alternative 'dont fckin believe we can win the title' if we still had Dunne.

It's not about class, it's about building a team of core players that will always put in a shift and fight for you. Ireland is better than Barry and Milner. He had one bad season with injuries, he'll bounce back.

Dunne is better than Kolo and Slowlean.

They should have built the team around that core. Not ship them out for the next best thing.

manchester-united-f_788722c.jpg

Celtic Pete said:
BillyShears said:
I'm pretty surprised that anyone is even entertaining this inbred undercover rag...

And you're the one who wants to start a "Believe" campaign. There are other words in the english dictionary you know. I am a pleasant chap BTW, but telling people to wind their neck in for pointing out the plainly obvious only shows that you haven't really thought this idea through. Maybe I have saved you a little embarrassment, so you should be thanking me?

C'mon the hoops

Hahaha! That's priceless. You, an inbred rag, trying to take the moral high ground over me, whilst arguing that City should have built a team around Richard fucking Dunne...

Anyway, I think the hammer should be dropping soon...was nice chatting.

I remember the kippax said:

You don't build a team around a number of players anymore, you build/promote/buy players that fit into your system

Why? because there are far too many games this season - potentially 60+ this season for our "core" players to play.

Over a period of time who would you say has been the most successful team in Europe over a sustained period with very little monetary outlay and coming from a relatively minor League????

The answer my friends is Ajax - why, because they have a system that they buy players who can play in THEIR system (Zlatan Ibrahamovic anyone?) or, as is more usual, they grow their own who have played inside the system since they were 10 or 11 years old, and who are then sold on for a profit - how many of the World Cup finalists came through Ajax's or their Academy's ranks?

So the aspect of gelling is irrelevant - it is the process of getting each player to know their own role within the team system (and the formation of the day), which means that the players can be interchangeable - especially if they are as flexible as a lot of our players are - Boateng, Kompany, Micah, Lescott, AJ, Silva... and Milner (he has even played at Right Back for Villa)

Mancini has made it clear that he wants two quality players for every position - by quality I would imagine he means with skill, class, flexibility but above all Intelligence!!!! hence why he made the comment about Micah and his head (that he appears to be fixing!) and why Patrick Vieira is in our squad as an example of this

We can win the League this season - why? Because we have better players than everyone else - on the whole and as a squad, I don't believe that in Arsenal's 21 man squad, Chelsea & Liverpool's 22 man squad and Utd's 25 man squad that they will have the quality that we have in buckets. Oh and where did I pluck the numbers from - Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool do not fulfill the Over 21 homegrown players and therefore their foreign number has to go down and be supplemented by U-21s

One last point in my tirade Celtic Pete - if you really believe we should've made Dunne & Ireland the backbone of our team you have got to be seriously overdoing the Guinness.... yes, alright Dunne was player of the year for a number of years running - but that was when his competition was bloody Danny Mills & Michael Ball - not the class that we currently have.

I bet Martin O'Neill will make them the backbone of his team!!
Dunne was also Villa's player of the season. I've never known any other team in world football who gets rid of their best players and replaces them with the likes of Lescot and Kolo? Letting Ireland go and keeping Barry? These were proper dyed in wool Blues. You can't buy that anywhere.

Celtic Pete said:

Dunne was also Villa's player of the season. I've never known any other team in world football who gets rid of their best players and replaces them with the likes of Lescot and Kolo? Letting Ireland go and keeping Barry? These were proper dyed in wool Blues. You can't buy that anywhere.

article-1094889-02CEC418000005DC-27_468x313.jpg

Celtic Pete said:

Let me just have a look at what you're saying - Richard Dunne is better than Lescott & Toure K...... not a chance, I've seen Dunne lose concentration so many times in so many games - imo the real reason he was player of the season so many times was because Distin was so fast he could make up for his lapses...

Secondly - why are you comparing Ireland to Barry? 2 different players - 1 a DM, 1 a AM - the real comparison is to compare Ireland to Silva - that's why we can afford to offload him -

And as for MON making Ireland & Dunne the backbone of his team - well he sort of has to doesn't he? It's not as if he can go out and spend £40m+ on some central defenders or £80m+ on some central midfielders.

As for dyed in the wool blues, so am I but Boateng, Kompany, Silva & Milner are all better than me. Even Richard Dunne might, just might, be.... ;-) However I have never been a member of the "he's a proper blue we can't get rid of him brigade" - ffs, the last player who was bought (like Dunne) into this club who was a "dyed in the wool blue" was Terry Phelan, and the last time we were rumoured to be buying one it was Geoff Thomas.

How many proper Chelsea fans play for them? I'll take quality over loyalty to a club every time - and here's a tip for you and you being a Celtic fan it might, just might, hit home - there is no such thing as loyalty in football at the highest level - not any more. The days of being born within 5 miles of Parkhead and lifting a European Trophy are long gone.... so here's the point - We can now afford the best and due to the new ruling have to offload our "nearly best" players - so what, don't care

If I can afford to drive a Bentley everyday do I go to work in the Ford? Do I bollox... do I care where it's made? Do I bollox..... Is 1 markedly better than the other? Of course it is

So to get this thread back on topic - can we win the League? Yes we can because we have consistently bought players who are better than the ones that we had in the Championship (like Dunne)

Celtic Pete said:

Don't know why I'm even bothering to reply, but we are about to sign Villa's player of the season, who was also the PFA Young Player of the Year to boot. Jonny Evans should have won it though shouldn't he?

<a class="postlink" href="http://astonvillacentral.com/2010/05/avc-player-of-the-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://astonvillacentral.com/2010/05/av ... -the-year/</a>

Anyway back on topic, we most certainly can win the title.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.