Why we should believe we can win the title

[quoteIt's not arrogance, it's self-belief.[/quote]
Bobby just announced Derren Brown and Paul Mckenna to the back room staff, and platty can now concentrate on preparing the minds of the players

gio's side step said:
KentBlue said:
Converesely, i can't see any reason as to why we shouldn't believe we can win it. As things stand we have as much chance as any other team in the Prem, and until it's mathematically impossible for us then I shall believe it.

My Dad used to think this way in 1995/1996.

Well he was the only one matey!

The week before that season represents the only time I have ever written to City, warning them that the appointment of Alan Ball was a disaster.

KentBlue said:
Celtic Pete said:
That's right, United and Chelsea are quaking in their boots!!
Bacon face was literally shaking with fear as he carried the Community sheild
out of wembley yesterday.

I think you need to have a lie down, otherwise losing the first game at Spurs might just push you over the edge.

Even the rags weren't this arrogant in 1992! And thats saying something. People like you need to just sit back, chill out and shut the f**k up. You are only creating more pressure on the club and that give the media more fuel for the fire. Please stop.

As my mum would say, f**kin cop on!

What absolute rot! There's nothing wrong with having ambition - particularly bearing in mind the players we've accumulated since the Sheikh took over, and the fact that our rivals have hardly strengthened at all. Why the fukc shouldn't we feel we have a realistic chance of winning the Prem?

It's not arrogance, it's self-belief.

Our rivals haven't strengthened against whom? Are you saying that they had to strenghten their squads to stay ahead of us? We HAD to strengthen our squad to have the best chance catching them. There are SEVEN teams in the premiership who can all beat each other and battle for honours. We haven't even broken the top 4, but you've already got the cigars out.

There isn't a team in the land that doesn't start the season without ambition it's a given, and if you want to talk about spending money, look at Real Madrid and how much money they spent last summer, they didn't win anything with 2 of the best players in the world. Just chill out and enjoy the ride, it might take 5 years and 8 different managers, but young fellas like you will cringe when you read your posts back

The belief will come when our position is such where we genuinely do think that we can, rather than simply making an off-the-cuff prediction based on the players we have signed. The reason I am not having that belief is because I think it will take a considerable time for the new players to gel with the "old" players and I think results may suffer for it.

For me, there's ambition and then there is being realistic about our aims for next season. A place in the top four would be my goal this season and a firm block to build upon for next season.

If it wasn't for Mark Hughes's we would have been even closer last season. Watch what Mancini can do with a full season with "His Players"

Celtic Pete said:
That's right, United and Chelsea are quaking in their boots!!
Bacon face was literally shaking with fear as he carried the Community sheild
out of wembley yesterday.

I think you need to have a lie down, otherwise losing the first game at Spurs might just push you over the edge.

Even the rags weren't this arrogant in 1992! And thats saying something. People like you need to just sit back, chill out and shut the f**k up. You are only creating more pressure on the club and that give the media more fuel for the fire. Please stop.

As my mum would say, f**kin cop on!

You completely reinforce my point. Well done. If we can't handle pressure, the fans, the players, the club, then we shouldnt be here. Let's return to mid table mediocricy. That will satifsy your fear of arrogance.

but young fellas like you will cringe when you read your posts back
Ha ha. I haven't been called 'young' for years! I'm 54 and I've suffered enough heartbreak following City to justify my faith in the new regime.
You're right, money doesn't equal success, but it gives us a better than average chance to win the Prem - if not, we can have a bloody good say in who does. And if we gain a 3rd place and maybe pick up a trophy then that'll do me...for now.

C_T_I_D said:
The belief will come when our position is such where we genuinely do think that we can, rather than simply making an off-the-cuff prediction based on the players we have signed. The reason I am not having that belief is because I think it will take a considerable time for the new players to gel with the "old" players and I think results may suffer for it.

For me, there's ambition and then there is being realistic about our aims for next season. A place in the top four would be my goal this season and a firm block to build upon for next season.

Mate, again, you completely reinforce my point. It's take 2 steps forwards, but then 'wait a minute, need to take a couple of steps back to reality'. Reality is perception. It is equally realistic that these players can win us the title. It's not a prediction based on players we have signed. I havent said we will win it. I am making a claim that we should believe we can. If you are right, about it 'taking considerable time for the new players to gel', then I presume (apologies) you are preparing for a season of 'here we go again' - huge investment, fans calling for the managers head, and a struggle to finish 4th, depending on how 'long this considerable time is'. It's just a hurdle after a hurdle. There is ambition. And fear of ambition. We just arent used to being winners. Some of us. Anyway as supporters. I accept your points, if disagree with them.

C_T_I_D said:

Agreed, expecting a side to gel from the off and then win the premiership is, imo, fanciful.
We finished 19 pts off the champions total last season, i believe that gap will shorten but not to the extent that we'll overtake them.

bluemoon32 said:
C_T_I_D said:

Agreed, expecting a side to gel from the off and then win the premiership is, imo, fanciful.
We finished 19 pts off the champions total last season, i believe that gap will shorten but not to the extent that we'll overtake them.

So, we invest, it takes 'time' for players to gel, and we finish where? Then what's the plan? Invest again, and it take time for the next batch to gel? to then finish where? When are we going to wake up, and realise that we have a squad good enough now to win the league. I am not saying we will, I am saying we should believe we can. The more people talk about 'gelling', the more it becomes a perceived obstacle. If it's about 'gelling', then we should have stuck with the team from last season, maybe added one, and said to Mancini, - the target is 4th. Because it was achievable. Another season. The players raising the level for having had that season together. None of our perceived rivals for '4th', have spent heavily. So why need the players we have signed to achieve 4th? We might have been 19 points away, but my argument is, look at where those points were dropped, and there werent many games, where we were simply outplayed by a better team. A couple but not many. They were down to a lack of winning mentality, 'arrogance' as some call it, and most importantly, discipline.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.