Why ''York away''? Should be Northampton.....

bod the blue1969 said:
Ref ;; York-away , went on the train to celebrate mates b,day 19th dec and ended up being involved with some "leeds knobs"kicking off b4 the match en route 2 the game , ! then had to endure THAT MATCH!! definately my worst moment in following city home, away, abroad, in over 30yrs ;-) but to all who were there?? keep it fresh in your minds for when some "plastic armchair" fan of any club tries to dish out "WHERE WERE YOU WHEN WE WAS SHIT" ;-) lifes made of memories some good ,bad & ugly (now its time to ENJOY THE GOOD) i,m sure craig russell was our M.O.T.M and royle took him off while chasing the game!!

yeah mate,leeds didnt have a game,they played the next day,so a mob turned up for us.they steamed into the pub we were in,smacked a few people and put a few windows through after leaving!!
i went home and away every match that year including cup games,best season of my life following city.
bristol rovers away,near the end of season,5.15 kick off,but due to other results we knew we couldnt get automatic promotion.that was a pretty low point.bristol fans were giving their condolensces to us in pub before match.seemed quite genuine aswell.
harry the driver-moulders-hyde. youll never beat that season

Re: Re: Why ''York away''? Should be Northampton.....

kippax_blueboy said:
York was a low point that season but so was Doncaster in the First Round of the Cup. City fans fighting each other and abusing the management team. it was horrible.

I went to every game apart from Bristol Rovers away.
Sixfields, Slatergate, Priestfield, Sincil Bank, etc were all new to me.

I took my eldest age 1 year to the Northampton home game 0-0 result.
Awful.

The turning point was Wrexham on Boxing Day.

And Stoke in the second half... I maintain that had the fans not got behind the team in the way they did that day then our season could have been very different.

Re: Re: Why ''York away''? Should be Northampton.....

ethan23 said:
Here's a drepressing feat. I went to York, i even witnessed danny allsop get brought on then subbed off again which seemed only 10 minutes later, cant remember if it was wycombe or lincoln. I witnessed Swp debut goal or what we thought at Vale away and went through the euphoria of Wembley in 99 then the magic of the 4-1 against blackburn. I carried on going to every home game and even most away games. Then in 2008 i had to give up my season ticket for a year due to finance, sorted everything out and have been going to them all again now (im only 19 btw) Anyway the crux of this story was the fact after witnessing all the shit i couldnt even get a ticket to the wembley final. Watching it on Tv just felt so hollow. Ah well . Typical
You should have jibbed in :-)

Balti said:
hydemainecoms said:
Wycombe away I can remember being invited into their social club before the game to bolster the numbers inside when I got in 90% blues having a pint, locals loving the banter...lost the match and long drive home. It was a midweek match as I recall.

it was and that was my lowest moment where I thought christ this may not be a temporary aberration after all

This was my lowest depression as a lifelong blue, early finish from work drive down to Wycombe I think it was a tuesday night, freezing cold raining, pissed wet through and came away with a 1-0 defeat, back up to Manchester at about 3 am and back to work at 7:30.
Nobody can tell me we dont deserve whats happening now.

Blue Mist said:
Like other posters have said York away was different to Northampton or Wrexham because it was our lowest point. There were 3 of us and our 3 lads, we'd done all the away games up until York when my mate finally snapped, he said he couldn't take it anymore and he was sacking the aways as it was making him so depressed. He kept to his word and didn't go to another that season.
For me, well I did Northampton after queueing for hours to get a ticket and I did Wrexham, I did loads of shit away games that season but York was the worst in every way possible. What I will always be glad of was it helped me bond with my 2 lads, they were taken to the pubs, they had their first beers they just got City in their blood and as we said at the time,"If it wasn't for the 90 minutes we had a great day out". But I never want to go back to those times !!!

I don't go to many away games, but have been a season ticket holder for years, so not going to try and claim to be the most loyal fan etc but did go to York. It was my birthday that weekend so 2 car loads of us went down and stayed over. Half of the lads who came were actually reds but were coming for the sesh. Remeber at one point stood in the freezing cold when one of them, who isn't the red mist gloating type, said quite genuinely "do you really come and watch this shit every other week ?" The blues in our contingent just didn't know how to respond (unlike after the 6-1 when he got it good style !!!)
Still, was a great night out on Mickelgate or whatever it is called - steaming on Stellla, threatening some students before chanting city songs in Yatesy's wine lodge by the river, being fined £100+ for uriniating in a public place and then threatening to leather my brother in law to be (who for the record would batter me anyday) in the ealry hours as we wandered in the freezing cold as we looked for a curry house.

Happy days !!!

Hell I remenber the Northampton game, tried to get a ticket outside the ground but no luck so started to headed back to the car but met a blue who had a spare ticket in the home end.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
I always wondered why the significance of York away 1998 being mentioned as a mark of loyalty. To me it should be the Northampton game as City only received around 800 tickets. At York we received a lot more than that.

I had an old Uni friend who lived just outside Northampton and he allowed me to use his address and I rang Northampton up and explained that I worked at a language school in Northampton and that 6 Japanese students wanted to watch the game.
''So they are students'' came the reply, and on telling them that they were, he said I could buy kids priced tickets and gave us family stand tickets.
Ordered the tickets there on the spot and they were sent to my mates house!

On the day, 6 slightly tipsy blokes in their 30's turn up and sat on the front row of the family stand!

As for York, yes it was a milestone game... the last we lost until Oldham & Wycombe late on in the season. I even rang Jimmy Wagg up on the way home and said Royle should be sacked..... (I did ring back around March and apologise lol)
But in terms of loyalty...... the question for me is... ''where were you at Northampton'' ;)

not at Northanpton but I was at the midweek game at Wycombe you mentioned....think we lost 1-0 to a pen??

I agree, but because I wasn't at York but was at Northampton, got a ticket for face value from Guy selling City fanzine, BTH I think...so a belated thanks.

Remember York (A) like it was yesterday. I got the train and remember Daft Donald being on there and terrorising shoppers. The lad who scored York's winner was a youngster who I went on to work with a few years later on the railway.

Remember going Colchester away for a 18:15 kick off for a Sky TV game in which Goater scored and we drew 1-1
Bristol Rovers (A) 2-2. remember my mate climbing up to the top of the floodlight and shaking it pi**ed up
Wrexham (A) City fans sneaked out a 8 foot blow up budweiser bottle out of the pub and took it in the game.
Tranmere (A) City fans nicked a real size Alan Shearer cardboard cut out from somewhere and put him in a city shirt and brought that in the ground.
Grimsby (A) Div 1 game. Got chucked out for doubling up at a turnstile and managed to find a load of blues who had gone into someones back garden and nicked some ladders and used them to try to climb into the stadium to the amusement of the blues in the corner end.

Some great days out

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.