Wigan Vs City Post Match Discussion thread

blemo said:
You have to take last night's result in the context of recent performances. If it had taken place a month ago then it would have been a sound win.

Unfortunately, it was a continuation of the recent run of unconvincing performances.

To say that it's only about getting 3 points is being disingenuous. Against Spurs, yes. But against a side propping up the league, it should have been more than just about getting the points.

Let's be honest. If Wigan had got anything from the game, it would have been shocking.

It was an opportunity to hit the rampant form shown at the beginning of the season but, in this sense, it was an opportunity missed.

Still, sitting pretty at the summit..
Every game is different. Sometimes it doesn't matter where a team is in the league, as that individual game turns out it's just about two sets of XI on the pitch against each other for 90minutes. That's what last night was about. We didn't play well, Wigan played okay, but we got the points. We played better against both WBA and Sland (had 51 shots over the two games) and brought just 1 point home.

We wont see that early season form again this season. We were playing with no pressure and were relaxed and had an absolute full strength side for over 10 games. Now the pressure is building, some players form has dipped, goals have been much harder to come by, and we're missing key players and leaders.

When you don't play well from the start it's not an opportunity missed. The only time i think we've missed an opportunity to score more goals was away at Spurs. They were fucking rubbish that day and we stepped off the gas (they even went down to 10 men). We showed at United a much more ruthless side to us, but i think we were far better at Spurs and had we really gone for it i reckon we'd'v scored seven or eight goals. With the misplaced passes, lack of possession in the last third and shot chances down to below a dozen for the first time in a very long time - i don't think last night was a missed opportunity.

Dubai Blue said:
citymad said:
malg said:
Just come on, so not read all the posts. However, can Bobby please stop waving the fucking imaginary red card. I know he's still feeling hard done by with the Kompany sending off, but he's doing the club no favours with his antics. Yes, the bloke should have gone, and God only knows what the referee was thinking, but stop waving the card - I believe he has more class.

Agreed. Its embarrassing. Wont go down well with the media and pundits
So what? You're apportioning far too much importance to the opinions of a group of tired ex pros not good enough to go into management and a bunch of fat-arsed journalists who were never even good enough to kick a ball on their local park. Who really gives a shit what any of them think? I know I certainly don't.

Mancini isn't trying to influence the decision of the referee on the pitch because he waves his imaginary card AFTER the ref has already made his decision. He's quite rightly highlighting the fact that the laws of the game are not being implemented properly. And if that helps highlight the fact that we were yet again handed the shitty end of the stick then good on him; wave away.

Spot on. The far bigger issue that the media should be concentrating on is that of players hounding referees before they've had a chance to make their minds up. But of course, as the biggest offenders in this regard are Trafford Town, rag loving twats like Burley, Ladyman, Custis, Irani and the rest of them, would rather look for an excuse to stick the knife into Mancini instead. Last night's refereeing delights included a blatant red card not given to Figueroa for stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity, McCarthy punching the ball off Dzeko's head in full view of the lino with no penalty given, and the same player extending his arm out across Dzeko's face contesting a header on halfway. The last time a player did this with Atkinson refereeing he was sent off. It was Balotelli at Anfield. If I was Bobby I'd have waved cards until my feckin' arm fell off

It was not the greatest performance last night but we still should have won by about four clear goals, so that's the only aspect I would be complaining about.
A good 3 points to set us on our way again.

We need to put away some of those chances. So it doesn't come back to bite us in future.

if 1 or 2 of those chances we had, had gone in with the score line looking like 2-0/3-0 i'd would of said it was a decent performance, we just need to take more chances, it gave wigan a boost at the end with it still being 1-0.

if it was 2 or 3 nil then wigan wouldn't have pushed so hard at the end.

worst performance of the season and that shows how far we have come when you consider that our last "manager" could only muster 4 away wins in 30 odd games.

Great: 3 points at a ground we have a very poor record at and while not playing well. On last night’s performance it’s the last time we will be facing them in the league in a VERY long time.

Good: Back 4(3 later on) seemed at sea early on tighten up and Savic seemed to settle well. Good to see Silva back.

Bad: passing was at times simply woeful, even against a very poor Wigan side we struggled to control the midfield.

Ugly: They put the price of pies up to £2.20!!!!

Finally….I really didn’t get the yellow card, surly it’s a sending off or nothing….how yellow?

SalfordCityBlue said:
I like Mancini giving it to the officials during the game, but pulling back afterwards, it demonstrated his annoyance without risking a fine/ban.

Surprised people are surprised by his antics though. He is much the same as a manager as he was as a player - consistently irritated, regularly furious and always, always one of the best in the world at what he does.

Spot on !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.