Wilfried Bony

Status
Not open for further replies.
80s Shorts said:
city91 said:
IanBishopsHaircut said:
I like Edin..but it's difficult to compare them both..totally different types of strikers IMO

I agree that they are different types of strikers but it's a bit rich to use goal scoring records to justify signing Bony but ignore Edin's.

Dzeko is one of the leading PL goals to game ratio strikers.

Dzeko has fired two teams to league titles in two of the most demanding European leagues.

Dzeko has scored the goals that took Bosnia to the World Cup.

But yet people mention him as if he is on par with Samaras and Corradi.

Maybe Bony will be better suited to our system than Edin. Maybe Bony will go on to score more goals than Edin, but at this moment in time Edin is the better player.

I know stats cannot be relied upon to tell the whole story, but seeing as you are using them;

Bony has a better goals per game ratio over his career, and this season, with the same number of appearances Bony has more than twice the goal per game ratio. So, especially at this moment in time there is only one conclusion to draw.

Or how about we focus on the important stat and that is that Dzeko has fired both City and Wolfsberg to league titles. He's consistantly scored vital goals during the key run in.

Don't understand why Dzeko gets the stick he does. Perhaps he is one of them players who will only be appreciated when he is scoring for another club.

city91 said:
80s Shorts said:
city91 said:
I agree that they are different types of strikers but it's a bit rich to use goal scoring records to justify signing Bony but ignore Edin's.

Dzeko is one of the leading PL goals to game ratio strikers.

Dzeko has fired two teams to league titles in two of the most demanding European leagues.

Dzeko has scored the goals that took Bosnia to the World Cup.

But yet people mention him as if he is on par with Samaras and Corradi.

Maybe Bony will be better suited to our system than Edin. Maybe Bony will go on to score more goals than Edin, but at this moment in time Edin is the better player.

I know stats cannot be relied upon to tell the whole story, but seeing as you are using them;

Bony has a better goals per game ratio over his career, and this season, with the same number of appearances Bony has more than twice the goal per game ratio. So, especially at this moment in time there is only one conclusion to draw.

Or how about we focus on the important stat and that is that Dzeko has fired both City and Wolfsberg to league titles. He's consistantly scored vital goals during the key run in.

Don't understand why Dzeko gets the stick he does. Perhaps he is one of them players who will only be appreciated when he is scoring for another club.

I don't think he gets that much stick.

I find it a spurious argument that because he has scored some important goals and contributed to winning titles that he therefore cannot be criticised.

Who is to say that another striker would not have done the same.

At this point in time Bony is better imo. He would offer far more than Dzeko has recently.

Reminds me of Nigel benn, looks way to heavy for our movement, not saying he couldn't get fit, but won't fix this seasons problems, big lump with ability, needs to shed pounds and get fitter, then maybe.

Dzeko would score at least 20-25 goals for Swansea I think. Important factors:

+ Less frustrating tactics. If you're at City and play Stoke, Hughes will park the bus and counter, making it hard for a striker to get in space. If you're at Swansea against Stoke, Hughes will go for the win.
+ Main man at smaller club. Start nearly every week, less rotation. 30 appearances at City can be different to 30 appearances at Swansea.
+ Less pressure, your club has modest expectations so you can play without the pressure that kills a lot of players after a big move. Some players adapt, some don't.

Who am I...
TssrATd.jpg

I'm not saying Dzeko is better than Bony... he may not be or he may be... but these things must be considered and are important. The grass isn't always greener and with Dzeko you at least know he is proven to score goals when you really need them most, meaning he is worthy of playing at a major club. He also has one of the best strike rates in Premier League history on that list that is frequently posted.

80s Shorts said:
city91 said:
80s Shorts said:

I find it a spurious argument that because he has scored some important goals and contributed to winning titles that he therefore cannot be criticised.

At this point in time Bony is better imo. He would offer far more than Dzeko has recently.

I've got no problem with people criticising any player. However a lot of the time there is a nasty undertone aimed at Edin and as a player who has been crucial in our recent success he deserves more respect from our fans. It seems that some people actually want him to fail and be sold.

I've agreed with you that Bony is a very good player but that's playing for Swansea. If he comes here he won't be the main man. We will be asking him to play a role that he is not used to as he will never displace Kun. It's actually similar to Dzeko. We haven't utilised him in the way Wolfsburg did but he has still scored for us.

The main reason I still feel that Dzeko has the edge over most of the strikers in the PL is because of his ability to come up with the goods under pressure. Last season people were saying that Dzeko wasn't in the same league as Negrado but it was Edin who scored the vital goals. That knack is what separates good strikers from very good strikers.

hgblue said:
Thenumber1blue said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
And what standard is that?

One where a player has managed to score more goals than Aguero in the last 12 months?

Perhaps Costa, Suarez, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski?

Oh, wait a minute...

Just because you can't date Scarlett Johansson doesn't mean you should knock back Jennifer Lawrence.

Bony fits our team and requirements like a glove. Aguero needs a foil, he also needs someone who is happy to play second fiddle.

I would suggest people take another look at Bony's goal against QPR, yesterday, which was perfect in technique, very reminiscent of Lewandowski's for Dortmund against Madrid in the Champs League semi-final a couple of seasons ago.

The Afcon argument is a valid one, but so is the one which is that Bony will have his pick of £25m/£30m suitors this summer.

We will miss the boat for someone who is only 26 and can win us the league this season. We have an advantage over our main rivals in this January window, in terms of being able to spend and others not needing a striker.
The standard where we are one of the best teams in the world nowadays,in which he comes nowhere near,that standard !

Bony is an absolute beast of a player who makes Negredo look like a teddy bear. Extremely strong with an excellent first touch and a fantastic eye for goal. I don't know what those of you who don't rate him have been watching, but this lad would bring something extra to the table without a shadow of a doubt.
Does he fuck !

My concern with Dzeko is what will he be like after his injury? His form pre injury wasn't great despite being dependable during the title run in and signing a new deal. I do rate the player but if we did sign Bony or other suitable alternatives we have an extra assurance that we have a player who can lighten Kun's load when he too comes back from injury and have an healthy competiton amongst the our current strikers.

city91 said:
80s Shorts said:
city91 said:

I've got no problem with people criticising any player. However a lot of the time there is a nasty undertone aimed at Edin and as a player who has been crucial in our recent success he deserves more respect from our fans. It seems that some people actually want him to fail and be sold.

I've agreed with you that Bony is a very good player but that's playing for Swansea. If he comes here he won't be the main man. We will be asking him to play a role that he is not used to as he will never displace Kun. It's actually similar to Dzeko. We haven't utilised him in the way Wolfsburg did but he has still scored for us.

The main reason I still feel that Dzeko has the edge over most of the strikers in the PL is because of his ability to come up with the goods under pressure. Last season people were saying that Dzeko wasn't in the same league as Negrado but it was Edin who scored the vital goals. That knack is what separates good strikers from very good strikers.

It is a conundrum with many variables. Negredo looked brilliant when partnered with Sergio prior to the shoulder injury and Dzeko stood up to the plate when both were injured. For me personally I do not think Edin fits our style of play or brings anything to the table other than his goals, which have dried up recently.

Who knows, but it is interesting.

Who would have thought we would be having these sorts of "problems" 7 or 8 years ago.

We all owe a gratitude to Edin for what he has done for us in our title winning years. There is no doubt that he is a talented player who will score lots of goals for whoever he plays for.

Reading these last few pages on this thread makes me believe people are being rather nostalgic. If you are to critique his performances to support an argument, then you need to include those days when he couldn't be arsed, had the touch of a charging Rhino, and couldn't hit a barn door from 5 yards, and not just those occasions where he dug us out of the poo.

Bony on the face of it has a grafters mentality, irrespective of whether he is banging them in or having an off day. He always put 100% in.

Both players have +/- but I am in the pro Bony camp as I want to see commitment and desire (something Edin doesn't appear to give every game).

Remember Neggers early games for us and how we marvelled at his attitude, strength and ability, I think Bony could bring those same feelings back.

I do understand why people are saying why now though if he is going to the ACON, but City are probably thinking longer term and having him fully bedded in ready for next season. Also, he may have gone elsewhere if we dont move now.

All supposition that we are even in for him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.