Will Leeds United ever be a top club again?

Bluewonder said:
Not whilst FFP is in effect.

This. Very hard for Championship teams to cope with relegated clubs who have 60-70 million in prize money despite being relegated and parachute payments. Add on top the FFP which stops owners spending lots to build a squad capable of a challenge, its very hard. Not impossible as we saw with Burnley last year who at the start of the season were one of the favourites for the drop but very hard now. Even if they did go up, again due to FFP it be hard for them to challenge for the top 6. Remember the Leicester chairman who after promoted said he would spend 160 million to make them a top 5 team before finding out he was not allowed to spend that sort of money

malg said:
WhenProgrammesWereAShilling said:
3 League titles
1 FA Cup
1 League Cup
+ Some minor trophy's and plenty of bridesmaids appearances

They've NEVER had a 60,000 crowd at home in their history.

None of the above major trophy's were won before 1968, therefore do Leeds warrant being called a top club?

PS Im biased... im old... i hate Leeds
They won the European Fairs Cup twice as well, which was the UEFA Cup, so not a bad trophy.

I think for a certain generation they might be a 'big' club, but they've been down that long that even those memories are fading. I can't ever see them dining at the top table again - and by that I mean regularly challenging for trophies. They might get promoted to the PL at some point, but it does appear to be a while away yet.

The European fairs cup is not comparable with the UEFA cup it was a real mickey mouse competition

whp.blue said:
malg said:
WhenProgrammesWereAShilling said:
3 League titles
1 FA Cup
1 League Cup
+ Some minor trophy's and plenty of bridesmaids appearances

They've NEVER had a 60,000 crowd at home in their history.

None of the above major trophy's were won before 1968, therefore do Leeds warrant being called a top club?

PS Im biased... im old... i hate Leeds
They won the European Fairs Cup twice as well, which was the UEFA Cup, so not a bad trophy.

I think for a certain generation they might be a 'big' club, but they've been down that long that even those memories are fading. I can't ever see them dining at the top table again - and by that I mean regularly challenging for trophies. They might get promoted to the PL at some point, but it does appear to be a while away yet.

The European fairs cup is not comparable with the UEFA cup it was a real mickey mouse competition
Completely agree, mate. It was the Full Members Cup of European tournaments.

I lived in Leeds for a few years.

Compared to the fanatical, irrational and demented interest in football in Manchester and Liverpool, the interest in Leeds is moderate.

I don't mean this as a criticism of people in Leeds. It's just how it is.

urmston said:
I lived in Leeds for a few years.

Compared to the fanatical, irrational and demented interest in football in Manchester and Liverpool, the interest in Leeds is moderate.

I don't mean this as a criticism of people in Leeds. It's just how it is.

Do you know something that's a really interesting point. I've met a few Leeds fans over the years including the guy who has the tattoos all over his face (I used to work with him) and not one of them is actually from the city of Leeds. One of the most fanatical Leeds fans I know apart from Rob (tattoo guy) is from Kent originally where they have a very large supporters club.

Those I have met from West Yorkshire don't seem interested at all. Funnily enough I worked on the Huddersfield Stadium when it was first built 20 odd years ago and spent many months in and around the town and the amount of locals who support City shocked me. Although I do appreciate it isn't THAT far away.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.