Will Leeds United ever be a top club again?

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
As per thread title..

Please don't let this degenerate into a "dirty" Leeds bashing thread, sensible question,... can the ever get back to a top three club like they were in the Bremner, Charlton, Hunter era..

Leeds is a big city, surely they deserve a top premiership club....no?

Maybe it needs sombody to come in with a massive injection of cash.....
Sheffield Wednesday have a bigger stadium than Leeds, have a larger average attendance than Leeds (even though there is another big club in the city), have won more league titles than Leeds, have won more FA Cups than Leeds, have spent more seasons in the top flight than Leeds and have better fans than Leeds.

I don't know why Leeds are always this topic of "sleeping giants" "biggest club outside the Prem" discussion when Wednesday are more deserving of the tag and never get the mention.

KippaxCitizen said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
As per thread title..

Please don't let this degenerate into a "dirty" Leeds bashing thread, sensible question,... can the ever get back to a top three club like they were in the Bremner, Charlton, Hunter era..

Leeds is a big city, surely they deserve a top premiership club....no?

Maybe it needs sombody to come in with a massive injection of cash.....
Sheffield Wednesday have a bigger stadium than Leeds, have a larger average attendance than Leeds (even though there is another big club in the city), have won more league titles than Leeds, have won more FA Cups than Leeds, have spent more seasons in the top flight than Leeds and have better fans than Leeds.

I don't know why Leeds are always this topic of "sleeping giants" "biggest club outside the Prem" discussion when Wednesday are more deserving of the tag and never get the mention.
Possibly because Wednesday's last FA Cup win was 80 seasons ago and their last league title was five years before that. - Though they did win the League Cup in 1991.
Many of us have grown up with Leeds as one of the better teams and their rapid fall from grace has been quite spectacular and also quite amusing.

if there was no ffp than they had a chance if somebody poured massive money into the club,those who brought in ffp are utter nuts as they have literally close the door on rich investors with ambitions

Apart from the massive investment (which they cannot make due to FFP) they also need to produce a couple of decent players like they did when they last won the league such as Batty and Speed. However, I can only agree with the majority on here that I hope that they stay on a downward spiral.

urmston said:
I lived in Leeds for a few years.

Compared to the fanatical, irrational and demented interest in football in Manchester and Liverpool, the interest in Leeds is moderate.

I don't mean this as a criticism of people in Leeds. It's just how it is.

Prefer their rugby league?

when you say ffp do you mean the eufa ffp or the Championship ffp? ( whats the diff between them?)

Citizen in Pakistan said:
if there was no ffp than they had a chance if somebody poured massive money into the club,those who brought in ffp are utter nuts as they have literally close the door on rich investors with ambitions

They have an enormous catchment area with no real rivals so when you look at it their support over the years isn't that great , they seem to draw a lot of fans from Yorkshire in general eg Goole, Pontefract, Harrogate etc and bearing in mind the city of Leeds is larger than Manchester with two clubs you could seriously argue that Leeds the city is not a footballing town. There is obvious potential and they could get back in the premiership and be taken over but they need to spend a fortune on the ground not to mention the team so with FFP it is going to be a struggle to get back to being a top club again.

philiph20 said:
They have an enormous catchment area with no real rivals so when you look at it their support over the years isn't that great , they seem to draw a lot of fans from Yorkshire in general eg Goole, Pontefract, Harrogate etc and bearing in mind the city of Leeds is larger than Manchester with two clubs you could seriously argue that Leeds the city is not a footballing town. There is obvious potential and they could get back in the premiership and be taken over but they need to spend a fortune on the ground not to mention the team so with FFP it is going to be a struggle to get back to being a top club again.
That's a lot of banjos!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.