Will/Should Lescott be Vinny's Partner Next Season?

I think lescott should be our no.2 CB next season. He has been very impressive this year and with the number of players capable of playing at CB I dont think we need another. We already have :-
Kompany
Lescott
Toure(bar ban)
Boyata
Boateng
Richards
Yaya Toure (at a push)
Do we really need a new signing here when there are other areas we need to strengthen.

We also have Boateng who can cover in that position without any problems (if he stays) if he does stay we don't need another centre back and a push Micah can fill in with Zab moving to right back. Think a centre back is the least of our problems at the moment. top class midfielder needed before any defence additions IMO

An unpopular opinion, but yes we do. This is the curse of attempting to be great. BArcelona did not need a new CD when they went and brought back Pique. Chelsea did not need a new CD when they went and bought David Luiz. What these guys have is that special talent that complements an already in place ferocious superstar defender in Terry and Puyol. And there are many more similar examples with all the great teams.

Lescott is capable, but he is not excellent at what we would need from his position. If you are unsure of what I am taking about, go and watch an Ajax match and see what Jan Vertonghen does for them. You will understand. It is not the defending (that he is the minimum) it is the skill, intelligence and ability with the ball at your feet that we need.

And no matter how many "Lescott was excellent today" comments we here, he'd never provide this quality for us. Yes he can defend, but then again so can half the CB in the league. Dunne can defend (perhaps even better than Lescott) Bamba can defend, Distin can defend (with mor speed and athletism), Cahill can defend (even more aggressively). Shawcross, Johnson, Hangeland, Collocini, Tamas, Jageilka e.t.c. can all defend.

But we need more where we want to go. And we can get it at a reasonable price. Jan Vertonghen is a great example of what we need, and I prayy we get him. If we do, most of you would thank your stars this wasn't your decision to make after-all :)

Dax777 said:
An unpopular opinion, but yes we do. This is the curse of attempting to be great. BArcelona did not need a new CD when they went and brought back Pique. Chelsea did not need a new CD when they went and bought David Luiz. What these guys have is that special talent that complements an already in place ferocious superstar defender in Terry and Puyol. And there are many more similar examples with all the great teams.

Lescott is capable, but he is not excellent at what we would need from his position. If you are unsure of what I am taking about, go and watch an Ajax match and see what Jan Vertonghen does for them. You will understand. It is not the defending (that he is the minimum) it is the skill, intelligence and ability with the ball at your feet that we need.

And no matter how many "Lescott was excellent today" comments we here, he'd never provide this quality for us. Yes he can defend, but then again so can half the CB in the league. Dunne can defend (perhaps even better than Lescott) Bamba can defend, Distin can defend (with mor speed and athletism), Cahill can defend (even more aggressively). Shawcross, Johnson, Hangeland, Collocini, Tamas, Jageilka e.t.c. can all defend.

But we need more where we want to go. And we can get it at a reasonable price. Jan Vertonghen is a great example of what we need, and I prayy we get him. If we do, most of you would thank your stars this wasn't your decision to make after-all :)

It's unusual for you to come to such a well-rounded opinion. Still, I disagree with your conclusion that he should be replaced.

Next year, we can get away with playing him, and I think changes should not be made unless complete necessary. Replacing Lescott, for me, does not constitute necessary. Maybe when the Champions League becomes a serious goal, we ought to consider it. But as it stands, next year we should keep an already settled core with knowledge that players, no matter how good, will take time to reach their best.

Don't understand all this Cahill talk.

He's a good premier league defender but nothing more. He isn't in the same league as Lescott imo.

Lescott may be found out at the very highest level against the likes of Villa, Eto etc or he may raise his game again. He's certainly held his own against Van Persie, Torres and any number of top forwards in the premier league.

Since Christmas he's been probably our most consistent player and is a fantastic professional.

If he does go through a bad patch, we've got Micah or Boateng as cover<br /><br />-- Mon May 16, 2011 2:44 pm --<br /><br />Dax 7777

I think the jury's still out on David Luiz mate.

He looks great on the ball but defensively, which is his main job after all, he's been found wanting on a number of occasions

As for the Ajax lad, every player in the eredivisie is comfortable on the ball and it's a lot easier to stroll around stroking the ball hither and thither in a dominant Ajax side playing against mediocre opposition most weeks than it would be in England.

Vinny's in the Beckenbauer mould and Lescott is the perfect foil for him at the moment

Yes and no.

Lescott is a good defender but there are players who would be a significant improvement on him. Imagine how solid a partnership Kompany would make with a commanding player like say the Sol Campbell of old. If we can bring in a player at that level then undoubtedly we should, if we can't there's not much point.

Sure Cahill might be marginally better than Lescott but not enough to justify ripping up a good partnership. It's a similar story with Kolarov and Baines, the price we would pay and the disruption it would cause just don't justify the quality of the player coming in.

King Geedorah said:
Yes and no.

Lescott is a good defender but there are players who would be a significant improvement on him. Imagine how solid a partnership Kompany would make with a commanding player like say the Sol Campbell of old. If we can bring in a player at that level then undoubtedly we should, if we can't there's not much point.

Sure Cahill might be marginally better than Lescott but not enough to justify ripping up a good partnership. It's a similar story with Kolarov and Baines, the price we would pay and the disruption it would cause just don't justify the quality of the player coming in.

Kolarov is poo. Baines wouldn't be my first choice but I'd be much much happier with him in the team instead of Kolarov. I think I'd rather have Bridge back in the team than Kolarov!

King Geedorah said:
Yes and no.

I agree.

One thing that needs pointing out though to the thread in general is we need depth. Badly. Want to avoid a slump such as we had after the turn of the year? Get depth. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with having a rotation at the position. Other teams in less competitive leagues can get away with not rotating as much or using untested players. I doubt that's possible in the Premier League. I mean it's quite possible a team or two will get relegated having scored 40 points. Where else can you find that? Point is if we can get someone like Vertonghen, we should. Plenty of games for everyone, and they should be motivated.<br /><br />-- Mon May 16, 2011 10:00 am --<br /><br />
Lancet Fluke said:
King Geedorah said:
Yes and no.

Kolarov is poo. Baines wouldn't be my first choice but I'd be much much happier with him in the team instead of Kolarov. I think I'd rather have Bridge back in the team than Kolarov!
You obviously didn't watch Bridge get toasted repeatedly by Wigan.

let me repeat: Wigan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.