Will/Should Lescott be Vinny's Partner Next Season?

goat867 said:
Dribble said:
Lescott is a solid Premiership performer, but a world-class CB he is not.

Also we seriously missed a trick not getting David Luiz ahead of the Chavs.

We need better options at LB, Coentrao would be ideal.

Not every player in your team has to be world class for you to have a world class team. United are the best example of that. Lescott has gone a long way to justifying the £22m price tag for me this season and him and Kompany have been brilliant together.

Spot on there, if the partnership works then why break it up, there have been numerous occasions where Lescott has covered for the immortal Vinny, but because Lescott aint a sacred figure for us it goes un-noticed.
I say again, why buy for buyings sake?

citysince88 said:
Yes Lescott should partner Kompany next season and here is why.

Firstly at premier league level he and kompany have formed a formidable partnership, why break that up ? it makes no sense it works in what is our most important competition, the league.

Those who say he isn't a superstar are correct but how many superstar defenders are there ? furthermore how much would they cost I imagine it won't be cheap, the cost is the important factor as other positions need filling and left back has to be THE priority followed by a creative midfielder. we have to ask the question can we bring in top players in all three position answer probably not so bringing in another CB should be seen as a luxury not a necessity.
Why is leftback any more of a priority than CD? I beg you to go watch Everton, Blackburn and Totenham again. Kolarov has been impeccable at leftback (defensively), it is offensively that he sucks cause he makes too many boneheaded decisions. As for creative midfield. Don't we have Silva, Yaya and Milner? So you see we have players in every position. The only question is whether we can get better at any position. And I think CD is where the greatest team improvement can be made.

Why? Because it is the position that gets the least amount of pressure, and if you have a playmaker at that position you can improve your team 3folds. Jan Vertonghen is not a World Class CD, but his addition will turn us into a Worldclass team, and him into a World class CD.See Pique for example. He was a backup at United wh couldn't get games, moved to Barca where his playmaking ability was required and they jumped 1 or 2 notches.

Not to mention, he is versatile. His inclusion will mean we don't need to get a LB or another DM. Kolarov gets injured or loses form and we can switch him out there, and bring in Lescott to the middle. De Jong needs a break, you can slot him in right next to Milner and we are money. This guy is perfect for us in many more ways than we can imagine.

In my books, he is the #1 target, as he solves so many problems.

King Geedorah said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Kolarov is poo. Baines wouldn't be my first choice but I'd be much much happier with him in the team instead of Kolarov. I think I'd rather have Bridge back in the team than Kolarov!

Has been poo.

I have faith that he will improve.

I don't take any pleasure in writing a player off but he doesn't look like he has the basic tools to do the job to me. No pace and poor positional sense. He may well yet tunr things around but he has to improve so much, I can't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong obviously.

Dax777 said:
citysince88 said:
Yes Lescott should partner Kompany next season and here is why.

Firstly at premier league level he and kompany have formed a formidable partnership, why break that up ? it makes no sense it works in what is our most important competition, the league.

Those who say he isn't a superstar are correct but how many superstar defenders are there ? furthermore how much would they cost I imagine it won't be cheap, the cost is the important factor as other positions need filling and left back has to be THE priority followed by a creative midfielder. we have to ask the question can we bring in top players in all three position answer probably not so bringing in another CB should be seen as a luxury not a necessity.
Why is leftback any more of a priority than CD? I beg you to go watch Everton, Blackburn and Totenham again. Kolarov has been impeccable at leftback (defensively), it is offensively that he sucks cause he makes too many boneheaded decisions. As for creative midfield. Don't we have Silva, Yaya and Milner? So you see we have players in every position. The only question is whether we can get better at any position. And I think CD is where the greatest team improvement can be made.

Why? Because it is the position that gets the least amount of pressure, and if you have a playmaker at that position you can improve your team 3folds. Jan Vertonghen is not a World Class CD, but his addition will turn us into a Worldclass team, and him into a World class CD.See Pique for example. He was a backup at United wh couldn't get games, moved to Barca where his playmaking ability was required and they jumped 1 or 2 notches.

Not to mention, he is versatile. His inclusion will mean we don't need to get a LB or another DM. Kolarov gets injured or loses form and we can switch him out there, and bring in Lescott to the middle. De Jong needs a break, you can slot him in right next to Milner and we are money. This guy is perfect for us in many more ways than we can imagine.

In my books, he is the #1 target, as he solves so many problems.

Seriously you think Kolorov has been solid defensivley ?! I'm not one for slating him because I think he can improve but there is a reason we play the right footed zabaletta ahead of him in a fair few games. left back is the priority because we only have Kolorov and we gain most of our width from the full back position so it's important we have two. and at the minute I don't really sense we have a youngster on the cusp of the first team.

I agree he could do a job in midfield and further up the pitch I am not asking for kolorov to be replaced but we need a more well rounded left footed left back to compete with him and perhaps drive him on to improve, because for me there are huge question marks over him defensivley.

Kompany,
Lescott,
Kolo Touré,
Boateng,
Boyata,
Richards,
Yaya Touré.

Another would be nice, but we don't exactly NEED one...

;)

However, if you want to be great, you need top class defenders. Kompany is, Richards is getting there. Boateng could potentially be top class, but that's it. Kolarov needs more time, but i dont think hes top class. Kolo Touré is hit and miss, and top class defenders cant afford to be like that. Lescott is a big, traditional centre half, and a great one at that, but he lacks that little bit of technique that make defenders truly great. If we want to win stuff like the Prem and the CL then we need 2 brilliant centre halfs.

But I'd say our first priority is a replacement for Barry, and someone like SWP in his glory days. Then give Kolarov some more time and evaluate him, and if we need to then get a replacement. The same goes for a forward if Džeko and Balotelli don't rake in a few goals (which they will do btw)

It's great being a city fan :D

citysince88 said:
Seriously you think Kolorov has been solid defensivley ?! I'm not one for slating him because I think he can improve but there is a reason we play the right footed zabaletta ahead of him in a fair few games. left back is the priority because we only have Kolorov and we gain most of our width from the full back position so it's important we have two. and at the minute I don't really sense we have a youngster on the cusp of the first team.

I agree he could do a job in midfield and further up the pitch I am not asking for kolorov to be replaced but we need a more well rounded left footed left back to compete with him and perhaps drive him on to improve, because for me there are huge question marks over him defensivley.

Let me put it this way, watch Everton, Blackburn and Totenham again. Watch strictly when we are on defense (ignore what he does offensively) and then come back and tell me what you saw. This might take a few days, so I'll wait. I just need your honest opinion after a 2nd look.

I am certain of what your response will be :) Trust me I slagged him off more than you did, albeit mostly coz I tot he wasn't producing enough offensively. But defensively I always tot he was decent, no worse than Micah or Zab.

But you watch those 3 recent games and give an opinion on his positioning, and his win loss ratio on tackles and defensive stops.

Dax777 said:
citysince88 said:

Let me put it this way, watch Everton, Blackburn and Totenham again. Watch strictly when we are on defense (ignore what he does offensively) and then come back and tell me what you saw. This might take a few days, so I'll wait. I just need your honest opinion after a 2nd look.

I am certain of what your response will be :) Trust me I slagged him off more than you did, albeit mostly coz I tot he wasn't producing enough offensively. But defensively I always tot he was decent, no worse than Micah or Zab.

But you watch those 3 recent games and give an opinion on his positioning, and his win loss ratio on tackles and defensive stops.

Mate we play 38 league games a season now three games where he's solid defensivley is not really impressive. But I am quite happy for him to be given more time. The fact is though we need another left back unless you want to be relying on bridge provide competition and cover, how confident would you be to see him come off the bench if Kolorov got injured ! in fact don't answer that one mate I think i know the answer lol.

The reason I said we need another creative midfielder is becase silva is the one that can pick the lock of the most stubborn defences, I wouldn't deny we have some others that can create but not to that same degree, if we can some one of that ilk then we really have to try.

nevilletogoater-in said:
goat867 said:
Dribble said:
Lescott is a solid Premiership performer, but a world-class CB he is not.

Also we seriously missed a trick not getting David Luiz ahead of the Chavs.

We need better options at LB, Coentrao would be ideal.

Not every player in your team has to be world class for you to have a world class team. United are the best example of that. Lescott has gone a long way to justifying the £22m price tag for me this season and him and Kompany have been brilliant together. He should start ahead of Toure IMO and any notion of getting ANOTHER centre back I just can't understand. We have Toure waiting in the wings of course followed by Boyata who is a great prospect and then also Micah and Boateng.

Barring any sales such as Tevez we have a squad that can win the league. At times this season we have fallen short but we have had so many changes to our squad and what we need more than anything for next season is continuity for once. Of course one or two new fresh faces that don't cost the earth but other than that keep it as it is I say.

Personally I would swap Lescott for both Ferdinand and Vidic every day of the week. I've nothing against Lescott and recently he's put in some quality performances but he still isn't class. I don't think he'd get in any of the other top 4's defence.

If it was me I'd go for Subotic from Dortmund or if you want to keep it English then that Phil Jones looks like he could become class. Add to that a top drawer winger (Sanchez, Young or Hazard), a creative midfielder (Sneijder, Modric or Kaka) and another world class centre forward (Aguero, Van Persie or Cavani)
Lescott is a brilliant Premiership performer but as stated above, barring injuries he wouldn't get into Utd's or Chelsea's 1st choice defence.

Purely as a footballer, Lescott's control and passing ability are limited in comparison to other top end defenders and the only upside to that is that he keeps it simple or just hoofs the ball up front and away from danger BUT to no-one in particular. He's playing to the best of his ability, but he doesn't add anything attacking-wise to the team like Puyol, Pique, Pepe etc.

Between Lescott & Hart, we keep conceding too much possession because of poor distribution. Terry/Luiz/Alex and Ferdinand/Vidic are footballers who can defend and control possession and if we want to move to the next level, we can't allow sentiment to stand in our way. If we did rely on sentiment, Onuoha & SWP would have been mainstays in our team this season.

Richards was in Saturday's line-up purely on merit and not because he's an academy product or because we've done 'OK' recently with him in the team! Richards has been one of the top 3 RB's in the Prem this season & TBH, I can't think of anyone who's performed more consistently, so based on this I wouldn't see the need not to continue with him as 1st choice RB with Zab as back-up.

As for Lescott as a regular starter I think in footballing terms we could do better, but he'd be a more than able option from the bench if he'd be happy playing that role which I don't think he would.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.