Will/Should Lescott be Vinny's Partner Next Season?

Lescott is a solid Premiership performer, but a world-class CB he is not.

Also we seriously missed a trick not getting David Luiz ahead of the Chavs.

We need better options at LB, Coentrao would be ideal.

I like Lescott,done a great job since he come in,but where Vinny is top class like Distin was,has speed,great distribution,can run with the ball and make a chance for himself.Joleon panic's at times when he's got the ball,hoofs instead of picking out a pass.

Yes Lescott should partner Kompany next season and here is why.

Firstly at premier league level he and kompany have formed a formidable partnership, why break that up ? it makes no sense it works in what is our most important competition, the league.

Those who say he isn't a superstar are correct but how many superstar defenders are there ? furthermore how much would they cost I imagine it won't be cheap, the cost is the important factor as other positions need filling and left back has to be THE priority followed by a creative midfielder. we have to ask the question can we bring in top players in all three position answer probably not so bringing in another CB should be seen as a luxury not a necessity.

scowy68 said:
I like Lescott,done a great job since he come in,but where Vinny is top class like Distin was,has speed,great distribution,can run with the ball and make a chance for himself.Joleon panic's at times when he's got the ball,hoofs instead of picking out a pass.

I remember a couple of times when Distin didn't just hoof the ball away and it cost us a goal - Lennon wriggling past him on the byline springs to mind.

Sometimes it's better to be a hoofer

Lescott has been the better of the two of the last few months! His performance against Spurs was what won us the game imo; they were on top and Lescott went round and gave individual players a talking to, within one minute we'd gained the corner that we scored from. VK+JL are an awsome partnership!

I'm all for signing Cahill as long as he's okay with being on the bench!

Lancet Fluke said:
Kolarov is poo. Baines wouldn't be my first choice but I'd be much much happier with him in the team instead of Kolarov. I think I'd rather have Bridge back in the team than Kolarov!

Has been poo.

I have faith that he will improve.<br /><br />-- Mon May 16, 2011 3:19 pm --<br /><br />
Dribble said:

Bottled it in the Chelsea - United game where he just stood still for their first. Either go with your man or step up, never do nothing. Also should've walked in the reverse fixture. He'll probably come good becausde you don't pay that much for a defender without reason but I he's made a lot of mistakes this season (Gave away a penalty too iirc).

Dribble said:

Not every player in your team has to be world class for you to have a world class team. United are the best example of that. Lescott has gone a long way to justifying the £22m price tag for me this season and him and Kompany have been brilliant together. He should start ahead of Toure IMO and any notion of getting ANOTHER centre back I just can't understand. We have Toure waiting in the wings of course followed by Boyata who is a great prospect and then also Micah and Boateng.

Barring any sales such as Tevez we have a squad that can win the league. At times this season we have fallen short but we have had so many changes to our squad and what we need more than anything for next season is continuity for once. Of course one or two new fresh faces that don't cost the earth but other than that keep it as it is I say.

danburge82 said:
Lescott has been the better of the two of the last few months! His performance against Spurs was what won us the game imo; they were on top and Lescott went round and gave individual players a talking to, within one minute we'd gained the corner that we scored from. VK+JL are an awsome partnership!

I'm all for signing Cahill as long as he's okay with being on the bench!
No he has not been. I have watched those matches again and again, and he has been better in one game. He predominantly heads the ball out. Period. The danger averted by so doing is only assumed. In situations where a real danger (i.e. certainty of a shot on goal) it was either Hart or Kompany making the play and not Lescott.

This by no means diminishes Lescott's headers or contribution. Just trying to be factual. If you seat down and watch our games after the fact. ANd focus on our defense, you'd see it too, Lescott makes the most mistakes. And by the way, Kolarov has been fantastic defensively in the last 4 games. It is his offense that sucks, not his defense. I was watching the Everton game again last night, and his positioning was impeccable. Anyway not to go of tangent (as Tickets to Madrid, and Fantasyiceland :P will get on my case soon) but the answer to our CD plays for Ajax. I have no doubt about it. You watch him once and you will be convinced. His repertoire of skills is amazing. He has a pinpoint crossfield pass that would put Dawson's crossfield pass to shame. It is like watching Scholes play CD in a defender's body.

Lescott and Kompany should be City's first choice CB pairing for as long as possible.

Together, they function very well and that's what its all about as a TEAM.

In 1966, when England won the World Cup, Alf Ramsey stated that Jackie Charlton wasn't necessarily the best CB he had, but he complimented Bobby Moore.

goat867 said:
Dribble said:

Not every player in your team has to be world class for you to have a world class team. United are the best example of that. Lescott has gone a long way to justifying the £22m price tag for me this season and him and Kompany have been brilliant together. He should start ahead of Toure IMO and any notion of getting ANOTHER centre back I just can't understand. We have Toure waiting in the wings of course followed by Boyata who is a great prospect and then also Micah and Boateng.

Barring any sales such as Tevez we have a squad that can win the league. At times this season we have fallen short but we have had so many changes to our squad and what we need more than anything for next season is continuity for once. Of course one or two new fresh faces that don't cost the earth but other than that keep it as it is I say.

Personally I would swap Lescott for both Ferdinand and Vidic every day of the week. I've nothing against Lescott and recently he's put in some quality performances but he still isn't class. I don't think he'd get in any of the other top 4's defence.

If it was me I'd go for Subotic from Dortmund or if you want to keep it English then that Phil Jones looks like he could become class. Add to that a top drawer winger (Sanchez, Young or Hazard), a creative midfielder (Sneijder, Modric or Kaka) and another world class centre forward (Aguero, Van Persie or Cavani)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.