Will/Should Lescott be Vinny's Partner Next Season?

Don't think its a priority, but it is a potential area that could be strengthened. Don't agree with the people that think we need a commanding centre half next to Kompany, he likes to step out from defence and win the ball, what we need next to him is someone that can drop in behind and sweep up, which is why I wouldn't mind seeing a Vince-Boateng partnership given a chance next year. Would be gutted if we sold Boateng to Bayern and bought Cahill for the same money

IMHO i think Lescott was better than Vinnie in the final he headed everything 50 yards away from goal when it came in the box. Finally with a run in the team he shows why we payed 24 million for him well 8 million was for Gollums pride but that was never lescotts fault

I'm a Lescott fan but I'm not convinced he should be first choice against Champions League opposition and in every match in a title chase. I think he's a professional guy who's grateful to be a part of this squad, particularly now we've won something and are moving forward, and he won't throw his toys out the pram at being a back up though. So he should 100% be kept on for that, he's got his part to play.

We don't need a new CB. We need a CB partnership thats going to stay together for a long time and I can't see either leaving anytime soon at least I hope not.

See what happens with Kolo first, but I'd prefer to get Onuoha back so we have Boyata and Onuoha for rotation/injury. We also have Boateng. Played in the world cup for one of the best teams in the tournament, he's no mug.

We have plenty of cover in this position, but Lescott is left-footed and has steadily improved after injury. I think he'll keep his place and deserves to.

Lescott has been excellent over the last few months. We've kept a lot of clean sheets in that time, and he has been a big part of that. It's only right that he gets some of the credit.

As against that, while he is generally reliable, he has vast, gaping weaknesses in his game that (given his age, the coaching he's had to date and his physical and technical characteristics) will likely never be improved, or at least not significantly.

I think there are three significant problem areas in his performances for City. These are:
1) Technical ability. His all round technical ability - short/long passing, dribbling, control - is the worst of all the defenders currently playing regularly for the top five teams.
2) Defensive ability against short/quick/agile players. Lescott can handle large, physical, immobile centre forwards and aerial battles adequately. He is vulnerable against highly technical players or players who like to get in behind the defence. There are lots of these players in the Champions League...
3) Concentration/mistakes. Stoke's only chance on Saturday is an example. That was a high ball that Lescott should have dealt with, but he isn't totally reliable in these situations. Given his other weaknesses he really, really needs to be.

A really excellent footballing centre half would make an enormous difference to our side. That doesn't mean we should replace Lescott, though, as finding such a player is rare and even if we did, spending on one might not be the best use of our resources. A midfielder might be a more important purchase, and you do have to weigh up the disadvantages and the risk of breaking up a partnership that has started to bear some fruit.

I wouldn't replace him this summer, on balance, but definitely a top drawer centre half is an important upgrade that the management need to find in the medium term. Boyata, perhaps...

Braggster said:
Lescott has been excellent over the last few months. We've kept a lot of clean sheets in that time, and he has been a big part of that. It's only right that he gets some of the credit.

As against that, while he is generally reliable, he has vast, gaping weaknesses in his game that (given his age, the coaching he's had to date and his physical and technical characteristics) will likely never be improved, or at least not significantly.

I think there are three significant problem areas in his performances for City. These are:
1) Technical ability. His all round technical ability - short/long passing, dribbling, control - is the worst of all the defenders currently playing regularly for the top five teams.
2) Defensive ability against short/quick/agile players. Lescott can handle large, physical, immobile centre forwards and aerial battles adequately. He is vulnerable against highly technical players or players who like to get in behind the defence. There are lots of these players in the Champions League...
3) Concentration/mistakes. Stoke's only chance on Saturday is an example. That was a high ball that Lescott should have dealt with, but he isn't totally reliable in these situations. Given his other weaknesses he really, really needs to be.

A really excellent footballing centre half would make an enormous difference to our side. That doesn't mean we should replace Lescott, though, as finding such a player is rare and even if we did, spending on one might not be the best use of our resources. A midfielder might be a more important purchase, and you do have to weigh up the disadvantages and the risk of breaking up a partnership that has started to bear some fruit.

I wouldn't replace him this summer, on balance, but definitely a top drawer centre half is an important upgrade that the management need to find in the medium term. Boyata, perhaps...

Vast gaping weaknesses bla bla bla.

Who is the best center half in the premiership? The answer is likely to be Vidic.Would you say he has vast gaping weaknesses because I think he and Lescott are very similar.

Joleon is playing magnificently and has been for ages now so for me you can stick the vast gaping weaknesses where the sun doesnt shine and concentrate on the quality of his defending rather than trying to find something to moan about.

Nelly's Left Foot said:
Vast gaping weaknesses bla bla bla.

Who is the best center half in the premiership? The answer is likely to be Vidic.Would you say he has vast gaping weaknesses because I think he and Lescott are very similar.

Joleon is playing magnificently and has been for ages now so for me you can stick the vast gaping weaknesses where the sun doesnt shine and concentrate on the quality of his defending rather than trying to find something to moan about.

I knew some clever clogs would do some cheap point scoring. Well done.

He played well tonight (though to be fair he didn't have a great many threats to deal with). But really Stoke had nothing in the locker to exploit the issues he has. I'm not having a moan, I like the guy, I think that he has had a decent season. There are definitely worse premier league centre backs. Bit of a mystery why the goal threat he's always had from set pieces had disappeared so hopefully his goal isn't a one off.

The real question though, is whether he's a centre half you'd trust in a big champions league game, or one who is good enough to fit into our possession game. Ultimately (and this is harsh, I admit) he isn't. That's why I'd replace him, in an ideal world.

Though as I said above, I could live with him staying in the team next season.

On Vidic - to an extent they're similar (definitely have some similar weaknesses) but Vidic is just a savvier, more consistent operator. Better in the tackle as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.