Will/Should Lescott be Vinny's Partner Next Season?

Dribble said:
Lescott is a brilliant Premiership performer but as stated above, barring injuries he wouldn't get into Utd's or Chelsea's 1st choice defence.

Purely as a footballer, Lescott's control and passing ability are limited in comparison to other top end defenders and the only upside to that is that he keeps it simple or just hoofs the ball up front and away from danger BUT to no-one in particular. He's playing to the best of his ability, but he doesn't add anything attacking-wise to the team like Puyol, Pique, Pepe etc.

Between Lescott & Hart, we keep conceding too much possession because of poor distribution. Terry/Luiz/Alex and Ferdinand/Vidic are footballers who can defend and control possession and if we want to move to the next level, we can't allow sentiment to stand in our way. If we did rely on sentiment, Onuoha & SWP would have been mainstays in our team this season.

Richards was in Saturday's line-up purely on merit and not because he's an academy product or because we've done 'OK' recently with him in the team! Richards has been one of the top 3 RB's in the Prem this season & TBH, I can't think of anyone who's performed more consistently, so based on this I wouldn't see the need not to continue with him as 1st choice RB with Zab as back-up.

As for Lescott as a regular starter I think in footballing terms we could do better, but he'd be a more than able option from the bench if he'd be happy playing that role which I don't think he would.
Damn! You say what is on my mind better than I can think it. That is painful to admit my friend :)

Let me just finish up by saying, Jan Vertonghen is our man!

-- Mon May 16, 2011 10:30 am --

citysince88 said:
Mate we play 38 league games a season now three games where he's solid defensivley is not really impressive. But I am quite happy for him to be given more time. The fact is though we need another left back unless you want to be relying on bridge provide competition and cover, how confident would you be to see him come off the bench if Kolorov got injured ! in fact don't answer that one mate I think i know the answer lol.

The reason I said we need another creative midfielder is becase silva is the one that can pick the lock of the most stubborn defences, I wouldn't deny we have some others that can create but not to that same degree, if we can some one of that ilk then we really have to try.
Actually he played in 31 games, and 20 League games. And he was solid defensively in most of them. But I point to the last 3 league games (Blackburn, Everton and Totenham) for recency's sake. Not as an attempt to find his best 3 games. BTW none of the 3 can be considered his best game. All it shows is an improvement he hasn't gotten credit for because he continues to make dump decisions on offense. His movement, speed, positioning and temperament have all been phenomenal lately. Even though his offense is still grossly suspect.

As for your question, well that is why I want us to buy Jan Vertonghen. Because he is a perfect co-partner for Vinny, and he can play LB if Kolarov gets injured and Lescott can come in and play CD. Vertonghen is the only defensive player we need to add to complete our defensive roster.

As for Creative midfielder, I am not disagreeing with you that we need one. Just saying what you said about not needing another CD can be said of any position. So really we need to improve our squad to challenge for the CL and Prem League. We are 12 points behind a weakened United this year. So clearly improvements are not a luxury but a necessity if we are going to close the gap any further. Considering United intends to improve their squad too, we can not rest on our position.

Lescott wouldn't start for any top sqaud, and he shouldn't start for us. That is just the reality of playing at this level.

lescott looks better every time he plays next to vinny. CB is a position on the pitch that needs continuity. The best cb pairings get better more n more they play together. thats why chelsea have looked poorer defensively since splitting up jt n carvallaho.
a back four n keeper only get stronger the more they play together throw nige in front of that we could have the best G.A record next year
hopefully boyata can develop behind lescott aswell as nice back up n wont be on wages as high as a back up like cahill

chris90 said:
lescott looks better every time he plays next to vinny. CB is a position on the pitch that needs continuity. The best cb pairings get better more n more they play together. thats why chelsea have looked poorer defensively since splitting up jt n carvallaho.
a back four n keeper only get stronger the more they play together throw nige in front of that we could have the best G.A record next year
hopefully boyata can develop behind lescott aswell as nice back up n wont be on wages as high as a back up like cahill
If our goal is to stay at 4th and try to win the FA cup again next year, yes Lescott is just fine. So is our current team. We can choose to make no changes at all. And even sell everyone that wants to leave, and we will still likely be strong enough to come 3rd or 4th. And we will make it out of the CL group stage, assuming we win our playoff. ANd we might make it to the FA Semis or even win it if we are not unlucky with injuries, and Chelsea/United/Totenham/Arsenal/Pool are not in our way.

Our team is very good. Can compete in the league, FA cup, Carling cup and Champions league. But we are unlikely to win any of these competitions as presently constituted. Thus, we need additions in key areas. One of those areas is CD. If Chelsea hadn't lost Carvahlo, they would have won the league running away. They lost him and faltered. If United doesn't buy a good CD to partner Vidic, they wouldn't win the league next year, as Rio is old and injury prone. And their period of stuttering coincided with them not having both CD's on the field, but fortunately for them everyone else stumbled too.

We will not win the league with Lescott as our premier starting CD. We give up too many possessions because he lacks the technical skills to restart the offense. Watch the Everton game again. I was just watching it last night, and it was clear as day he was being targetted by Everton players when we had the ball. Anytime it went to Lescott, especially in the 1st half, they charged at him with a fury. It was clear they believed he was the weak link technically. Anichebe, and Osman did it time and time again. It didn't matter if they had backed up, the moment it went to Lescott they got aggressive. It was quite amusing to watch really.

Get Jan Vertonghen and we are set. Seriously!

cant say i'm upset with his performances, but I would like another spare CB. However, I felt Kolo was a better partner, and I'd like to see him and Joleon fight for that spot. We don't need to go out and buy with the FFP rules coming up. And he's english, need that aswell.

Dax777 said:
Dribble said:
Lescott is a brilliant Premiership performer but as stated above, barring injuries he wouldn't get into Utd's or Chelsea's 1st choice defence.

Purely as a footballer, Lescott's control and passing ability are limited in comparison to other top end defenders and the only upside to that is that he keeps it simple or just hoofs the ball up front and away from danger BUT to no-one in particular. He's playing to the best of his ability, but he doesn't add anything attacking-wise to the team like Puyol, Pique, Pepe etc.

Between Lescott & Hart, we keep conceding too much possession because of poor distribution. Terry/Luiz/Alex and Ferdinand/Vidic are footballers who can defend and control possession and if we want to move to the next level, we can't allow sentiment to stand in our way. If we did rely on sentiment, Onuoha & SWP would have been mainstays in our team this season.

Richards was in Saturday's line-up purely on merit and not because he's an academy product or because we've done 'OK' recently with him in the team! Richards has been one of the top 3 RB's in the Prem this season & TBH, I can't think of anyone who's performed more consistently, so based on this I wouldn't see the need not to continue with him as 1st choice RB with Zab as back-up.

As for Lescott as a regular starter I think in footballing terms we could do better, but he'd be a more than able option from the bench if he'd be happy playing that role which I don't think he would.
Damn! You say what is on my mind better than I can think it. That is painful to admit my friend :)

Let me just finish up by saying, Jan Vertonghen is our man!

-- Mon May 16, 2011 10:30 am --

citysince88 said:
Mate we play 38 league games a season now three games where he's solid defensivley is not really impressive. But I am quite happy for him to be given more time. The fact is though we need another left back unless you want to be relying on bridge provide competition and cover, how confident would you be to see him come off the bench if Kolorov got injured ! in fact don't answer that one mate I think i know the answer lol.

The reason I said we need another creative midfielder is becase silva is the one that can pick the lock of the most stubborn defences, I wouldn't deny we have some others that can create but not to that same degree, if we can some one of that ilk then we really have to try.
Actually he played in 31 games, and 20 League games. And he was solid defensively in most of them. But I point to the last 3 league games (Blackburn, Everton and Totenham) for recency's sake. Not as an attempt to find his best 3 games. BTW none of the 3 can be considered his best game. All it shows is an improvement he hasn't gotten credit for because he continues to make dump decisions on offense. His movement, speed, positioning and temperament have all been phenomenal lately. Even though his offense is still grossly suspect.

As for your question, well that is why I want us to buy Jan Vertonghen. Because he is a perfect co-partner for Vinny, and he can play LB if Kolarov gets injured and Lescott can come in and play CD. Vertonghen is the only defensive player we need to add to complete our defensive roster.

As for Creative midfielder, I am not disagreeing with you that we need one. Just saying what you said about not needing another CD can be said of any position. So really we need to improve our squad to challenge for the CL and Prem League. We are 12 points behind a weakened United this year. So clearly improvements are not a luxury but a necessity if we are going to close the gap any further. Considering United intends to improve their squad too, we can not rest on our position.

Lescott wouldn't start for any top sqaud, and he shouldn't start for us. That is just the reality of playing at this level.

I guess we are not going to agree over Kolorov, I at best can say he's been indifferent through out the season he hasn't been fantastic pehaps not as bad as some suggest but he's been dissapointing overall.

On Lescott well we wouldn't be at this level if it wasn't for him in the second half of the season his form was immense, I think your being overly harsh. I think as the season has progressed the players have gelled more and more we need to see just how good these players can be togeather. By all means look to add quality but with Lescott and Kompanys budding partnership I don't think were desperate for another CB (dependent on Kolo T).

Also are you Jan vertonghen's agent ? :)

We are really thin at CB with Toure out for god knows how long, it would be stupid to sign someone as cover so my guess is we will sign someone to partner Kompany with Lescott going back to the fill in role.

Lancet Fluke said:
King Geedorah said:
Yes and no.

Lescott is a good defender but there are players who would be a significant improvement on him. Imagine how solid a partnership Kompany would make with a commanding player like say the Sol Campbell of old. If we can bring in a player at that level then undoubtedly we should, if we can't there's not much point.

Sure Cahill might be marginally better than Lescott but not enough to justify ripping up a good partnership. It's a similar story with Kolarov and Baines, the price we would pay and the disruption it would cause just don't justify the quality of the player coming in.

Kolarov is poo. Baines wouldn't be my first choice but I'd be much much happier with him in the team instead of Kolarov. I think I'd rather have Bridge back in the team than Kolarov!

i dont agree with this attacking kolorov shit, the guy has had less than a year in the toughest
league in world football i do think he will come good next year !!
look at players who have come to England and had a shocking first season in the past .. if he still aint got to grips buy xmas then we should look at letting him go and getting someone in ....

-- Mon May 16, 2011 7:25 pm --

Lancet Fluke said:
King Geedorah said:
Yes and no.

Lescott is a good defender but there are players who would be a significant improvement on him. Imagine how solid a partnership Kompany would make with a commanding player like say the Sol Campbell of old. If we can bring in a player at that level then undoubtedly we should, if we can't there's not much point.

Sure Cahill might be marginally better than Lescott but not enough to justify ripping up a good partnership. It's a similar story with Kolarov and Baines, the price we would pay and the disruption it would cause just don't justify the quality of the player coming in.

Kolarov is poo. Baines wouldn't be my first choice but I'd be much much happier with him in the team instead of Kolarov. I think I'd rather have Bridge back in the team than Kolarov!

i dont agree with this attacking kolorov shit, the guy has had less than a year in the toughest
look at players who have come to England and had a shocking first season in the past .. if he still aint got to grips buy xmas then we should look at letting him go and getting someone in ....<br /><br />-- Mon May 16, 2011 7:25 pm --<br /><br />
Lancet Fluke said:
King Geedorah said:
Yes and no.

look at players who have come to England and had a shocking first season in the past .. if he still aint got to grips buy xmas then we should look at letting him go and getting someone in ....

No...Kompany will have another partner. Lescott is not good enough...and either Cahill/Vertonghen will be his Cb partner.

Possibly Boateng if he stays.

I honestly can't see why we need another CB, I know Kolo might be out of action but isn't that why we have

1) Boetang
2) Boyata
3) Richards

all able to stand in if needed. In fact at a push I have seen Yaya in there. Now if we are selling Boetang to Bayern then maybe there is a need to get someone else. If one thing any sucessful side need it is an established CB pairing, Kompany and Lescott have got better and better together and IMO they are quiet capable of being the first choice next season. The only problem how do we rest them and I suppose maybe a case could be argued for another premiership proven CB. Maybe Boyata a little young to step stright in but the old saying if you are good enough you are old enough. Must admit this is a tricky one.

I like Lescott with Vinnie. We also have Boateng and Boyata who could emerge as strong CB's. There is Kolo as well (whatever happens there) who played very well for us this season.

I think the money can be better spend elsewhere....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.