Willy Caballero (signing confirmed, page 64)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Willy Caballero

baildon blue said:
Gaylord du Bois said:
baildon blue said:
That is a new picture of Shilton . That wasn't taken when he was at the 82 ,86 and ,90 World Cup .
You've missed out 70.
Oh and 74 when he gifted a goal to Poland which meant we didn't qualify.
Norman Hunter was to blame for 1974 . He didn't go to the 1970 World Cup .
You're right on 70 (my mistake) but you're wrong on 74. Hunter didn't let the ball roll under him into net.
Anyway we're way off topic,

Gaylord du Bois said:
baildon blue said:
Gaylord du Bois said:
You've missed out 70.
Oh and 74 when he gifted a goal to Poland which meant we didn't qualify.
Norman Hunter was to blame for 1974 . He didn't go to the 1970 World Cup .
You're right on 70 (my mistake) but you're wrong on 74. Hunter didn't let the ball roll under him into net.
Anyway we're way off topic,
We are ,but its good .

and i am not unaware of harts poor points but kicking is not one of them negrado is the only player that goes in to win that first ball just have a look at the number of headed goals from corners we scored or is that harts fault as well

salfordbluetrue said:
and i am not unaware of harts poor points but kicking is not one of them negrado is the only player that goes in to win that first ball just have a look at the number of headed goals from corners we scored or is that harts fault as well
Come on !!!!! . Distribution is Joe Harts biggest negative . The number of times I have seen him hoof to the other team, Or kick it into touch under no pressure .

baildon blue said:
salfordbluetrue said:
Come on !!!!! . Distribution is Joe Harts biggest negative . The number of times I have seen him hoof to the other team, Or kick it into touch under no pressure .
Same here. I cry out for Joe to just give the all to a foul back to pass forward. Nice and simple.

salfordbluetrue said:

We scored an absolute ton from corners, and Hart's biggest flaw is his distribution, saying that I think he's improved over the last few months.

Tron Coltrane said:
I think I'm in a vast minority here in not wanting this one to go through. I'm a big advocate of the "2 players for every position, it's a modern game" argument but it just doesn't happen successfully for keepers, in large part because they don't require rest or recovery like outfielders do. I understand Chelsea bringing Courtois home, because he's the keeper of the future, but everyone agrees that Cech isn't going to happily play second fiddle and stick around to fight for his spot after a year of that, right? Feel like it'll be the same for Joe and Willy, except in Chelsea's case they're exchanging a 32 year-old keeper for a 22 year-old, and in our case we're exchanging a 27 year-old keeper for a 32 year-old.

I know it's a delicate balance. Joe needs competition. But I think we're overshooting that balance in signing someone like Willy who deserves (and expects) to start games. I can't remember this particular blend of two marquee keepers happily coexisting. I'm sure there are some outlier examples of it working over several seasons (and I'm curious to read what they are if anyone wants to point them), but in general it seems like one of them has to go after a year.

If we want to replace Joe, I'm open to that. But I'd rather sign a young world class keeper (maybe next season when we're out of the FFP woods) and be honest about what we're doing.

Diego-Lopez-Iker-Casillas-juntos-Real-Madrid.jpg

? as for your point I agree, for me Joe is good enough to be our number 1, hence the Golden Glove awards or the Premiership trophies.

Kun Aguero said:
Tron Coltrane said:
I think I'm in a vast minority here in not wanting this one to go through. I'm a big advocate of the "2 players for every position, it's a modern game" argument but it just doesn't happen successfully for keepers, in large part because they don't require rest or recovery like outfielders do. I understand Chelsea bringing Courtois home, because he's the keeper of the future, but everyone agrees that Cech isn't going to happily play second fiddle and stick around to fight for his spot after a year of that, right? Feel like it'll be the same for Joe and Willy, except in Chelsea's case they're exchanging a 32 year-old keeper for a 22 year-old, and in our case we're exchanging a 27 year-old keeper for a 32 year-old.

I know it's a delicate balance. Joe needs competition. But I think we're overshooting that balance in signing someone like Willy who deserves (and expects) to start games. I can't remember this particular blend of two marquee keepers happily coexisting. I'm sure there are some outlier examples of it working over several seasons (and I'm curious to read what they are if anyone wants to point them), but in general it seems like one of them has to go after a year.

If we want to replace Joe, I'm open to that. But I'd rather sign a young world class keeper (maybe next season when we're out of the FFP woods) and be honest about what we're doing.

Diego-Lopez-Iker-Casillas-juntos-Real-Madrid.jpg

? as for your point I agree, for me Joe is good enough to be our number 1, hence the Golden Glove awards or the Premiership trophies.

Sorry, should've made it one sentence when I typed "over several seasons" in the next part of my question. Looking for an example where two marquee keepers happily coexisted for several seasons without one asking for a transfer.

As for Lopez and Casillas, I'm a little dodgy on my Spanish gossip but isn't that the perfect example of what I/we were saying? I was under the impression Lopez grew up with Madrid's youth teams but went to Villareal to become a "marquee keeper," then came back to Madrid to fight for the #1 shirt. Obviously hasn't made it several seasons before Casillas has asked to leave, since he appears to be out the door this summer, but wasn't the two seasons together anything but "Happy coexisting?" I know they were both professionals, but didn't the issue cause massive upheaval in the press, help turn the fans against Mourinho, and divide the locker room between players supporting either keeper? Was actually under the impression that Lopez v. Casillas was the most exaggerated example of why you don't want two keepers of that caliber on one roster. Again, my Spanish football is patchy at best, most of this is probably gleaned from gossip mags, so correct me if I'm wrong and it was all sunshine and flowers for their two years together.

Tomorrow's headline: "Free Willy" City sign Willy Caballero on a three year deal on a free transfer! :)

Casillas as far as im aware is unhappy with not playing but has been at the club for 24 years and is very reluctant to leave the club that he loves. He is in a very difficult position being 33 with a young family and currently has 3 years left on his contract which is rumoured to be 165k a week which is a lot more then he would get anywhere else. At 36 he could retire and will surely be offered a role within the club. Hart's position is very different he is coming into the best years of his career and there is no chance he will be willing to spend them on the bench I would expect him to be gone in January if he isn't starting. And if Caballero does come I'm pretty sure it will be as the number two and for a last big pay day he is far too good to be a back up but cant see him replace Joe if he does its very short sighted by the club if they want a replacement for Joe we should be targeting keeper who are entering their peak not players who are leaving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.