Wilshere: 'England for the English'

its a Barm said:
He is right you should only play for the country you were born in or your parents.
So the hottest 18yr old so called prospect that plays for an English club isnt even English but is being touted by the FA,who only last week were moaning at the lack of you english talent available??

Dyke ur a dick.

Personally, I don't have much time for the English national side, so if they want to engage in jingoistic nonsense fronted by a 21 year-old with insufficient cranial matter to fill an egg cup, so be it. However, Mo Farah is more British than I'll ever be despite me being born here and having lived here from birth with English as my first, nay only, language.

Personally i believe if ur not born in england or if at least 1 parent is born in england then u shudnt be playing for england. If that means not winning out yhen so be it. I said it wen sven was put in charge. If we csnt win out wiv an english manager then so be it. Applying a foreign manager in my eyes id outright cheating. I really yhink if it meant we dint win the adhes or if it meant no mo farer then again so be it. Real english born or enhlish parent people should be given the chance. Wat jack wilshire said is of no way racist. Its jus wat should br applied. Otherwise having our own national team is pointless.

-- Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:52 pm --

Pardon my english writing, im on an iphone lol.

Skashion said:
Personally, I don't have much time for the English national side, so if they want to engage in jingoistic nonsense fronted by a 21 year-old with insufficient cranial matter to fill an egg cup, so be it. However, Mo Farah is more British than I'll ever be despite me being born here and having lived here from birth with English as my first, nay only, language.

Funny thing about Mo is that he might qualify as being British but I can't see how he could be any of the constituent nationalities that make for British!!

Matty said:
I don't think it's a black and white issue (no pun intended). I don't agree that the only fact to consider should be the country you were actually in when you were born. What if you were born in, say, Africa, but spent almost your entire life, from the age of lets say 8, through to your present age of, for arguments sake, 30 living in England and believing yourself to be English. Should you be banned from representing England? Should you only be eligible for your country of birth? Guess we should hand back all Mo Farah's gold medals then?

I'm not a fan of the nationalisation of players in the way that some countries do it. Diego Costa for example is a Brazillian who has been part of friendly squads for Brazil, but never played a competitive match for them. He has spent the last 5 years living and working in Spain, so is now eligible for Spanish citizenship. The Spanish FA, and Costa himself, now want him to play for Spain. I'm sorry but, for me, Costa isn't Spanish. He's 25 years old, he spent 20 years living outside of Spain (18 years in Brazil and 2 in Portugal) and 5 years living in Spain. For me that's the kind of national switch that needs to be prevented.

The British nations don't follow the FIFA guidelines around switching nationality, we insist that, for a player to become "English" he must have spent at least 5 years, prior to the age of 18, in education within the British Isles. So the player must have been on British soil from at least the age of 13, probably earlier than that. At least with that distinction the player must have spent some of their formative years, as a child, growing up and learning about this country whilst also living within it. I'm happy with that rule. Januzaj doesn't qualify under those rules (he only moved to England in 2011 at age 16) so, unless the English FA has a change of heart, it doesn't matter how much Hodgson watches him, or how much he wants to be English, he'll never be eligible for us to pick under our own rules.

im indian, born in england.

that makes me as eligible to play for england as any other man born in england.

my parents are born in india so given the talent (which i haven't been) at any sport for example cricket, i should be able to play for either england or india. england as i'm born here and india as my parents are born there.

if its true that kevin peitersons mum was born in england, then that effectively makes him half english and perfectly entitled to play for england.

i would say that those 2 are the only reasons in my opinion that anybody should be able to represent any given country. to represent a country because you've lived there for a long time is (again in my opinion) ridiculous.

what is the point of national sports if it is made up of people from all over the world who are neither born here or have parents that were born here?
there has to be some kind of legitimate attachment to the country.

at the end of the day it should be like family, you can't pick and choose. if your born in a particular country you represent that country or the country your parents were born in. either that or nothing.

put it this way, do you think jacuzzi would think twice about playing for england if he was spanish? would arteta have ever have considered playing for england if he was in the spanish team?

the simple fact is that most of those people only consider england because they aren't good enough for their own countries or vice versa their own countries aren't good enough for them. but as i said you shouldn't be able to pick and choose.

and to answer your question on mo farrah, hes a legend, an arsenal fan like myself, seems like a really nice bloke, great role model and ambassador, but the simple facts are that he's NOT ENGLISH if he wasn't either born in this country or doesn't have parents that were born in this country. therefore he shouldn't be allowed to represent england as other then the fact hes lived here, he has no claim to being english.

VOOMER said:
Owen Hargreaves
Matthew le Tissier
Cyril Regis
John Barnes
Luther Blissett
Terry Butcher
Graeme Le Saux

All played for England and were all born outside the UK. Mo Farrah is a prime example a refuge, who has made this country his home.

people like yourself are completely missing what jack wilshere said.

and its for this reason that its blown up in the papers. because they've taken something out of context and not actually reported the full story.

basically what wilshere was saying is that if your not born in this country and don't have parents that were born in this country then you shouldn't be allowed to play for england.

all those players you listed above may not have been born in this country, but they all have at least 1 if not 2 parents that WERE born in england. totally different situation to januzzi and mo farrah, who were not born in this country and don't have parents who were born in this country either.

deveney said:
Personally i believe if ur not born in england or if at least 1 parent is born in england then u shudnt be playing for england. If that means not winning out yhen so be it. I said it wen sven was put in charge. If we csnt win out wiv an english manager then so be it. Applying a foreign manager in my eyes id outright cheating. I really yhink if it meant we dint win the adhes or if it meant no mo farer then again so be it. Real english born or enhlish parent people should be given the chance. Wat jack wilshire said is of no way racist. Its jus wat should br applied. Otherwise having our own national team is pointless. Fotget amir kahn n forget kev piererson n forget mo farer. They shudnt be representing england but their own birth country.

-- Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:52 pm --

Pardon my english writing, im on an iphone lol.

I could be wrong but wasn't Amir Khan born in England and don't Pieterson and Farah have parents who were born in England?

For what its worth I might make a distinction for Pieterson who only came here to play cricket whereas Mo Farah came at an early age to be with his family. I do struggle with Pieterson playing for England but to be honest that might be more to do with dislike for him than his non-Englishness.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.