Win the title this season and we end United's era

malg said:
News of the Rags demise are premature.

Just look at their success over the last 5/6 seasons. Ferguson, as much as I hate the fucker, will never, ever lie down and he will eke every little bit out of the players he has. I'd say they are stronger now than they were last season. Their ageing players will be right up for this, especially given the way they lost it last season. They are wounded, and are more dangerous than they were last season. They were arrogant last season, and really believed we had blown it at the Arsenal game - but we came back and bit them on the arse. Their pain is palpable, and I for one don't think for one second that they won't react in the way that Ferguson will demand.
I know they are stronger now than in May. But if we retain the title, they will be left with ageing players, no Ferguson and no money for which ever fool is brave enough to take that on

RVP is a huge purchase for the Rags. He's a top, top quality player who won't see his 30th birthday as a barrier. Without injury I feel he'll be able to play as a potent force for a good few years.
I don't agree with the OP that SAF would be facing the axe without any success this season. It might encourage him to retire though.
It's their deficiencies in other areas which give me encouragement, notably their ageing midfield.

Tbilisi said:
Marvin said:
TonyM said:
If we win we will be happy but if we lose Ferguson could be gone. Decent consolation.

Personally I like that we are in for a battle. I don't think there is a clear favorite. It'll be interesting. Plus this years only our second attempt at the CL. I think we could improve on this front.

Can't wait!!! :-)
Me too. Every point we can eke out over Utd will pile the pressure on them. If we can get ahead of them early, it will start to dawn on them very quickly what's at stake

As much as I hate the vermin I have to say that without them last season it would have been vey boring.

Imagine what the Scottish PL is going to be like this season. I know a Celtic fan who was delighted when Rangers were relegated. Then it dawned on him that a game against Ross County just didn't quite build up that anticipation an Old Firm game did.

So yeah, if we'd walked away it and had it in the bag with six games to go I don't think it would have been anywhere near as special as that last minute win. If this season is half as exciting as that last one I'll be happy. Maybe if we get a few more titles under our belt I'd be happy to see us stroll through the season and leave everyone else in our wake, but for now keep it as it is.

EddieR said:
RVP is a huge purchase for the Rags. He's a top, top quality player who won't see his 30th birthday as a barrier. Without injury I feel he'll be able to play as a potent force for a good few years.
I don't agree with the OP that SAF would be facing the axe without any success this season. It might encourage him to retire though.
It's their deficiencies in other areas which give me encouragement, notably their ageing midfield.
If they aren't in line for the title a lot of fans will start to question the purhcase of RVP when he could have gone for renewal. if they aren't out in front, the reality of what's going to hit them the following season will have a lot of them worried.

If Fergies isn't sacked, he will walk. The job the following season will be impossible

Of course Utd could win it, and then they will be in a position to renew their squad. But this is crunch time

malg said:

Just look at their success over the last 5/6 seasons. Ferguson, as much as I hate the fucker, will never, ever lie down and he will eke every little bit out of the players he has. I'd say they are stronger now than they were last season. Their ageing players will be right up for this, especially given the way they lost it last season. They are wounded, and are more dangerous than they were last season. They were arrogant last season, and really believed we had blown it at the Arsenal game - but we came back and bit them on the arse. Their pain is palpable, and I for one don't think for one second that they won't react in the way that Ferguson will demand.

couldn't agree more

[/quote]So yeah, if we'd walked away it and had it in the bag with six games to go I don't think it would have been anywhere near as special as that last minute win. If this season is half as exciting as that last one I'll be happy. Maybe if we get a few more titles under our belt I'd be happy to see us stroll through the season and leave everyone else in our wake, but for now keep it as it is.[/quote]
One of the most telling things after the QPR game was when Kompany being interviewed, said "please never this way again". And I thought, nah Vinnie, do it this wayevery season.

The only thing that will retire old pissed up bacon chops is ill health or death.

Plus Chelsea have won two titles in a row, at a time of United's worst team in the Lremier League era, only for United to win three in a row and reach two Champions Lg finals in a row in the three following years.

I really wouldn't think ahead about United's era ending. Until I see it, I wont be naive enough to think it.<br /><br />-- Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 pm --<br /><br />
Marvin said:
malg said:

I know they are stronger now than in May. But if we retain the title, they will be left with ageing players, no Ferguson and no money for which ever fool is brave enough to take that on
United have lots of money. It's a total myth that they're skint.

danburge82 said:
The only thing that will retire old pissed up bacon chops is ill health or death.

Plus Chelsea have won two titles in a row, at a time of United's worst team in the Lremier League era, only for United to win three in a row and reach two Champions Lg finals in a row in the three following years.

I really wouldn't think ahead about United's era ending. Until I see it, I wont be naive enough to think it.

-- Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 pm --

Marvin said:
malg said:

United have lots of money. It's a total myth that they're skint.
Under Ferguson Utd have never let their team grow so old. Players were sold at their peak eg Kanchelskis, Ince, Stam, Beckham etc. Now look at their team. Several key ageing players. They have just about exhausted all their means of gaining additional finance short of selling the rest of the club

Tbilisi said:
Marvin said:
TonyM said:
If we win we will be happy but if we lose Ferguson could be gone. Decent consolation.

Personally I like that we are in for a battle. I don't think there is a clear favorite. It'll be interesting. Plus this years only our second attempt at the CL. I think we could improve on this front.

Can't wait!!! :-)
Me too. Every point we can eke out over Utd will pile the pressure on them. If we can get ahead of them early, it will start to dawn on them very quickly what's at stake

As much as I hate the vermin I have to say that without them last season it would have been vey boring.

When winning a league becomes boring - that's the time to give up. At no point would last season have been boring - regardless of how close they made it. Not for me, anyway.

I wonder what Ferguson thought about on his way to work on September 1st 2008. Doubtless Dimatar Berbatov would have occupied his mind. We'll tie that up later today he would have said to himself, we are, after all Champions League holders. We always get our man.

One thing I am certain he wouldn't have thought about was little old City. He'd probably heard whispers about the club going into administration and had a little chuckle to himself, but nothing more than that.

And here we are less than four years later and the club down the road, so long a source of mirth to him - a small club with a small mentality - has it within its grasp to tarnish his legacy.

Ferguson has staked everything on this transfer reclaiming the title for his club and for him to be able to walk away with his head held high. It is simply not in his DNA to walk away a beaten man. The manner of last seasons denouement will have ensured that he is possessed by this. The fact it is City will ensure that he is consumed by it.

There is little in life that is more satisfying than seeing someone you dislike fail to get their heart's desire. Let's do everything we can, as supporters, to achieve that aim.

Bring it on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.