Wolves (A) Post Match Thread

I'm not gonna enter into the debate of who's a rag or not. Particularly as I have been on the back end of that when someone has disagreed with my view. However, of more alarm to me is that you have suggested that you would have an otemendi stones partnership, that is yet to start this season over that of stones and laporte partnership who have played this season, execptionally well. Therefore Otemendi stones? Mmm?

Otamendi was crucial last season for us. He brings the ball out much more quickly than stones or Laporte and he scores goals. In my opinion Otamendi is our best defender. Rash at times but he’s always a 7/10. My point in the previous post were I would have all of the above names above Kompany

Unlucky game - not at our best, giving the ball away too often; several impactful refereeing decisions went against us; hit the woodwork 3 times on offense; Patricio made an incredible save. We should have won - but sometimes luck goes against us.
===
Recurring themes - Mendy, tremendous on offense but gives the ball away too often and isn't great on defense; Gundogan should play in a pivot role; Mahrez should start at right wing - Bernardo is wasted there; Pep gracious during interviews, refusing to blame refs for dropped points.
===
One-offs - Sane looked extremely rusty, turning the ball over often and terrible on corners. He needs more playing time. Not sure how he best fits in our side - or indeed if he fits at all - when Mendy is on the pitch.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it no longer seems acceptable to be just a positionally aware defender any more. The Neville' s, Hinchcliffe's and Carragher's of yesteryear just no longer get a sniff and are sent packing by academies long before the first team beckons. We've seen it ourselves with Mafeo and Angelino simply overlooked as they lack outstanding pace whilst we are left with Walker and Mendy, two great athelites but uncomfortable on the ball, in what is a pure footballing team.

It's a trade off unfortunately and the only one I've seen recently who appears able to do both roles well is Robertson at Liverpool.

Mendy uncomfortable on the ball? Have you not seen him whip in dangerous crosses?

Unlucky game - not at our best, giving the ball away too often; several impactful refereeing decisions went against us; hit the woodwork 3 times on offense; Patricio made an incredible save. We should have won - but sometimes luck goes against us.
===
Recurring themes - Mendy, tremendous on offense but gives the ball away too often and isn't great on defense; Gundogan should play in a pivot role; Mahrez should start at right wing - Bernardo is wasted there; Pep gracious during interviews, refusing to blame refs for dropped points.
===
One-offs - Sane looked extremely rusty, turning the ball over often and terrible on corners. He needs more playing time. Not sure how he best fits in our side - or indeed if he fits at all - when Mendy is on the pitch.

Then Mendy needs to come off the pitch. Delph and Sane give us much more both offensively and defensively.

Then Mendy needs to come off the pitch. Delph and Sane give us much more both offensively and defensively.
Defensively - absolutely.
Mendy's crosses though are irreplaceable.
I think Mendy deserves a starting role - we just need to cover for him. I'm less concerned about his defensive play than his giving the ball away easily on offense - the former we can cope with, the later will kill us. I think though that sloppy passing is likely down to lack of concentration; Pep hopefully can improve this area of Mendy's play.

Gundogan makes more tackles and interceptions than Sterling and Bernardo; he also has the best pass completion of any of our midfielders and Pep does love players who don't give the ball away.

pass completion is easy when its sideways or backwards

Otamendi was crucial last season for us. He brings the ball out much more quickly than stones or Laporte and he scores goals. In my opinion Otamendi is our best defender. Rash at times but he’s always a 7/10. My point in the previous post were I would have all of the above names above Kompany
I actually agree with everything you've said fella. My only concern is that on the basis of how stones and laporte have started the season, I can't understand why anyone would plump for Otemendi over stones or laporte at this stage. He ll get his turn, it showed on Saturday, there is no reason to mess with the stones laporte pairing given how they've started the season. Otamendi is A1 though and like one or two in the city team it's borderline criminal the criticism he gets, particularly after last season of which totally, totally agree he was our best defender. Scandalous how some can't wait to year into the fella if and when he makes a mistake. But Vinnie's performance on Saturday hardly generates a mention. Before any starts I love Vinnie by the way, just making a point.

Mendy uncomfortable on the ball? Have you not seen him whip in dangerous crosses?
At times I think it's when he is being pressed in tight spaces he looks uncomfortable, but equally at times in the same scenario he is great. He ain't played a whole lot of football over the last year, do gonna give him time.

Football is all about opinions I suppose but c'mon, Stuart Brennan gives Mendy eight out of ten and Man of the Match in today's MEN.

Absolutely ridiculous, as is his assessment that Sterling rated a five.

Mendy was one of our main issues!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.