Wolves (A) Post Match Thread

Why is Mendy getting grief ? - In the Muen he got an 8 rating ...............Lol
- 8 - I think 5 would have been fairer. His defensive duties were woeful.

Thought Silva’ was a defo penalty and not even debatable and Agüero’ was a sneaky pull back to unbalance him so also a spot kick, should’ve strolled a 4 or 5 -1, and been laughing at their Boly-wood goal.

What I saw we just didn’t seem to click, and were unlucky with hitting the woodwork. The early goal always seems to settle us, and it didn’t happen.

We have the same points after three games last season, and that didn’t finish up too badly. It was clear we missed KDB influence on Saturday.

Why is Mendy getting grief ? - In the Muen he got an 8 rating ...............Lol
- 8 - I think 5 would have been fairer. His defensive duties were woeful.
Kolarov got a lot of stick because his defensive failings were seen as outweighing what he gave to the team with his crossing and free-kicks, but Mendy is liked as a "character." Let's see how long that holds up if players keep going past him like Traore did, or even Bellerin three weeks ago.

New article in The Guardian titled, "Wolves attacking verve offers new approach to facing Manchester City". First of all, it's not really a new approach and secondly, for it to work, it requires the same crossed fingers as all the other approaches. Whatever teams do against us (yes, even Liverpool's high press/run into our players every time they have the ball tactics), they still need luck and/or ref decisions to get anything out of the game.

Kolarov got a lot of stick because his defensive failings were seen as outweighing what he gave to the team with his crossing and free-kicks, but Mendy is liked as a "character." Let's see how long that holds up if players keep going past him like Traore did, or even Bellerin three weeks ago.

Mendy is quicker and more potent than Kola going forward. But yes, he does need to work on his defensive game. To be fair, he is still adjusting after a long time out but - on balance - has already contributed more than many. If he can’t adjust, he needs to be treated more as a left winger when it comes to selection and tactics.

Being a character helps in many walks of life. It gives you a little more leeway.

From the moment I saw Mendy it was obvious he is not a defender however not for one moment did Guardiola not see the same. He is a product of the modern day football belief that a gifted athlete can be moulded to play football. I saw the Watford game yesterday and both sides were full of players that couldn't trap a bag of cement nor pass wind but could run 100 yards in 11 seconds. Christ we even see Usain Bolt being tried out in Australia currently.

Unfortunately it no longer seems acceptable to be just a positionally aware defender any more. The Neville' s, Hinchcliffe's and Carragher's of yesteryear just no longer get a sniff and are sent packing by academies long before the first team beckons. We've seen it ourselves with Mafeo and Angelino simply overlooked as they lack outstanding pace whilst we are left with Walker and Mendy, two great athletes but uncomfortable on the ball, in what is a pure footballing team.

It's a trade off unfortunately and the only one I've seen recently who appears able to do both roles well is Robertson at Liverpool.

Last edited:
It was a funny game. We certainly didn’t dominate the midfield like we do against most teams. We could have easily won it 3-1, but could have lost it too - they really let us off the hook with their offside ‘goal’. The transition between defence and midfield was sub par and we missed John Stones I thought. The two silvas were slightly below their best as was fern. Maybe he should have been rested. To be fair to Wolves, they gave us more problems than all but a very small number of teams last season. Three big calls in the game. Thought the Silva incident was a penalty. Referees should know that he doesn’t dive. Aguero incident, seen them given, seen them refused. Wolves goal should have been ruled out by the linesman who had a perfect view. We better get used to it though as I dont believe we will get much this season as it will not be a level playing field. PL must ensure a tighter run in this season and officials will facilitate this.

It was a funny game. We certainly didn’t dominate the midfield like we do against most teams. We could have easily won it 3-1, but could have lost it too - they really let us off the hook with their offside ‘goal’. The transition between defence and midfield was sub par and we missed John Stones I thought. The two silvas were slightly below their best as was fern. Maybe he should have been rested. To be fair to Wolves, they gave us more problems than all but a very small number of teams last season. Three big calls in the game. Thought the Silva incident was a penalty. Referees should know that he doesn’t dive. Aguero incident, seen them given, seen them refused. Wolves goal should have been ruled out by the linesman who had a perfect view. We better get used to it though as I dont believe we will get much this season as it will not be a level playing field. PL must ensure a tighter run in this season and officials will facilitate this.

Definately wont be a level playing field...scudamore wants a closer league this year which effectively says ‘lets not let them run away with it again’

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.