Wolves (A) Post Match Thread

You cannot credibly label Sat as 2 points lost due to KDB absence. We created many chances; had 6 shots on target and 3 against the woodwork. And drew only because of two Ref fuck-ups. We were dominant for the majority of the game.
On the contrary I believe I can label it two lost. Why? I think KDB in for Gundog and we would have had enough to claim the points. I don't dispute that we were dominant and if you reread my post you will see that I said we should have won. But Wolves played well and caused us a lot of problems on the break and deserved at least one goal for their efforts. In my opinion KDB was missed that's all.

Wolves played incredibly well, we weren't totally at the races but we hit the woodwork countless times and their opening goal was both offside and then a handball

Regardless of that Wolves were good for a point. Like Pep mentioned playing a newly promoted team so early on is always a risk because they will be bang up for it, especially a championship winning side to boot.

It would be great for football as a whole and will make Wolves a threat all season if they decide to play that style each week when at home. Their manager seemed to take that stance in his post match interview which was good to hear
My only concern from the weekend was that, we had worse injury crises last season and played worse and won. We ground out a win from somewhere and that becomes a habit.
Liverpool on the otherhand ground out two wins while playing underpar and that is not something they did last year.

I wouldn't like that to become a habit.
We need to get back up to speed next game, straight away.

My only concern from the weekend was that, we had worse injury crises last season and played worse and won. We ground out a win from somewhere and that becomes a habit.
Liverpool on the otherhand ground out two wins while playing underpar and that is not something they did last year.

I wouldn't like that to become a habit.
We need to get back up to speed next game, straight away.

I am sure we will, lets not forget we are in the same scenario as last season but it was everton we dropped points against. Let all the others get giddy, especially the scousers who seem to think they have already sown the title up and will go unbeaten all season

I am sure we will, lets not forget we are in the same scenario as last season but it was everton we dropped points against. Let all the others get giddy, especially the scousers who seem to think they have already sown the title up and will go unbeaten all season
Well we can console ourselves, that if we are going off current form, then United will be relegated.

We were unlucky with the decisions but we need to make a statement in the next game. Pep won't let us slip, especially with a run of very winnable games.

Yeah, there was a huge mental aspect in that match.
When players feel they are disadvantaged by officials and hit the fuckin woodwork 3 times it feels you can play on for 2 hours and can't score.

Last season we have won games late and that winning spirit has carried us over the season.

Pep certainly will point out that we have to force late goals again by showing we want it more.

Just watching the game back now and I’m noticing that we hardly had any consistent play in wide areas in their last (I’m just into the second half).

Last season we had loads of that with Sané and Sterling out wide high up the pitch and others linking up with them, stretching their players across the width of the pitch leaving holes centrally.

The only times we’ve had it here in this game is the odd times we’ve worked something from deeper where we released Mendy or Berbardo but the final ball has not reached a Blue yet as they’ve been crosses rather than close link up play.

I didn’t notice this that much when I watched it live.

Also noticing a lot of hoofed balls to nobody!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watching the game back now and I’m noticing that we hardly had any consistent play in wide areas in their last (I’m just into the second half).

Last season we had loads of that with Sané and Sterling out wide high up the pitch and others linking up with them. The only times we’ve had it here in this game is the odd times we’ve worked something from deeper where we released Mendy or Berbardo but the final ball has not reached a Blue yet as they’ve been crosses rather than close link up play.

I didn’t notice this that much when I watched it live.

But also notice the way Wolves do not concede space out wide the way many teams do. A tactically aware manager

We clearly seem to struggle with early kick offs. 7pts from two tough away games and a winnable home game is decent considering world cup and limited pre-season. We now have to nail the next games and take maximum points so we go to Anfield above them in the league.

Pep and Arteta can mastermind a victory at Anfield this time. They force you into errors at the back to get goals on the counter. So we have to get the ball forward more quickly. The ball into the channel looks the best bet because this season they have their front three, Keita and the full backs pushed right up. That ball in behind is the outlet.

We created enough to win the game against Wolves but a point was fair. A lot of teams will struggle there.

But also notice the way Wolves do not concede space out wide the way many teams do. A tactically aware manager
True.

But also we seem to have lost the high press the two quick wide front players give you. Losing the ball and Wolves are counter attacking like we barely saw last season.

True.

But also we seem to have lost the high press the two quick wide front players give you. Losing the ball and Wolves are counter attacking like we barely saw last season.
Our press was definitely lacking. Still, we had the speedy Sterling on the left and the willing Bernardo on the right. It wasn't just wingers - the entire front line/mid didn't seem to put in an effort to immediately press.

I think Pep mentioned in one of his interviews that our side isn't at full fitness yet - this would explain the poor press against Wolves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.