Wolves (A) Post Match Thread

I could understand the linesman missing the handball. It took 2/3 replays to show up that the Wolves player handled the ball over the line. However there is no excuse for him missing the offside decision.

Will we now get a decision where we are losing a game and get a offside decision going for us and allow us to get a draw out of the game. I DON NOT THINK SO.

Our press was definitely lacking. Still, we had the speedy Sterling on the left and the willing Bernardo on the right. It wasn't just wingers - the entire front line/mid didn't seem to put in an effort to immediately press.

I think Pep mentioned in one of his interviews that our side isn't at full fitness yet - this would explain the poor press against Wolves.
I get the impression we are using these 4 games and the break as a mini pre season, bringing players up to speed at different rates. Think I saw somewhere he said after the international break the season starts, or words that effect.

Its a very good report that, and from a neutral too, its a pity that many City fans are too close to be able to see it like this, and why for a difficult away draw, ie a good point, we are approaching 100 pages, when a 6-1 home win produces just 35.

I agree with pretty much all the opinions on our players, particularly the defence, it wasn't far off being a very good performance really, despite some of the rubbish posted in this thread, and Wolves in particular played well, and made it a tough game, I expect they'll take further points of our rivals as the season moves on.
By Championship standards, Wolves have a seriously expensive team. They have an owner with colossal wealth and he plans to invest over the coming years - FFP permitting. Wolves are not your typical promoted team.

Wolves played incredibly well, we weren't totally at the races but we hit the woodwork countless times and their opening goal was both offside and then a handball

Regardless of that Wolves were good for a point. Like Pep mentioned playing a newly promoted team so early on is always a risk because they will be bang up for it, especially a championship winning side to boot.

It would be great for football as a whole and will make Wolves a threat all season if they decide to play that style each week when at home. Their manager seemed to take that stance in his post match interview which was good to hear

Funny how we seem to get them early isn't it? Brighton and Cardiff recently.

I get the impression we are using these 4 games and the break as a mini pre season, bringing players up to speed at different rates. Think I saw somewhere he said after the international break the season starts, or words that effect.

Yeah Pep mentioned that fitness levels weren't where they should be, which is normal after a world cup with players coming in late. They'll be up to speed after the break, as you said. Hopefully a win against Newcastle before that.

Just watching the game back now and I’m noticing that we hardly had any consistent play in wide areas in their last (I’m just into the second half).

Last season we had loads of that with Sané and Sterling out wide high up the pitch and others linking up with them, stretching their players across the width of the pitch leaving holes centrally.

The only times we’ve had it here in this game is the odd times we’ve worked something from deeper where we released Mendy or Berbardo but the final ball has not reached a Blue yet as they’ve been crosses rather than close link up play.

I didn’t notice this that much when I watched it live.

Also noticing a lot of hoofed balls to nobody!

Agree. Especially against teams that are going to play a little, the speed and stretching and press offered by sane and sterling in combination can’t be matched - especially on the break. Bernardo on the right just isn’t the same and the whole pace of play slows, allowing defenses to get settled just a bit more.

For all the talk of hitting the woodwork, we hit the woodwork from relatively far out each time; which means we were shooting from far out; which means people weren’t getting in behind and others crashing the box for close range shots or tap ins. Admittedly there were a few close range chances, but not much to write home about, even though we were the better team and all that.

Nothing worrying in the grand scheme of things perhaps, but as much as anything to me it’s a little more thrilling to watch when sane and sterling are tearing down the flanks.

Yeah Pep mentioned that fitness levels weren't where they should be, which is normal after a world cup with players coming in late. They'll be up to speed after the break, as you said. Hopefully a win against Newcastle before that.
And yet we had Sane on the bench who had no part in the WC, presumably raring to go.

We played very well for 10 minutes after they scored, pity we couldnt keep up that urgency or we'd have murdered them, our players looked like they thought all they had to do was show up.
If we play like that v Loserpool we'll get murdered.
Disappointing.

And yet we had Sane on the bench who had no part in the WC, presumably raring to go.

We played very well for 10 minutes after they scored, pity we couldnt keep up that urgency or we'd have murdered them, our players looked like they thought all they had to do was show up.
Disappointing.

Sane, I didn't mind seeing left out because he was absolutely dire against Chelsea. Can't even remember if he ppayed against arsenal because he was that bad. I genuinely can't remember him doing anything correct. Came on against wolves and proceeded to give away the ball twice in 10 seconds after immediately coming on.

I think you might be just a tad harsh in terms of attacking their attitude. We hit the crossbar 3 times, had a blatant penalty turned down, and had our opponents get awarded a ridiculous goal (offside and handball). I would chalk it off as one of those days where nothing goes right.

We'll be fine by the time we play Liverpool. We'll be missing De Bryune, but by then everyone will hopefully be at peak physical levels. Atleast, I hope so.

Disappointing.
You must have been watching a different game to one where we had 72% possession and hit the bar 3 times while being very unlucky with decisions.Although we were far from our best,we still murdered them.Make no mistake,Wolves are a team that will beat some of our rivals,they are no mugs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.