Wolves post match

Has anyone read this morning's Daily Mail. according to Pep they use a different kind of ball for the Championship and the Caraboo Cup. So all Championship teams have had a slight advantage because of the ball that is being used, as they have had that the ball since the start of August to get use to the ball. Still a win is a win onwards and upwards and into the 1/4 finals.

Diaz and Foden would have improved the team that played Wolves. I agree with the point you made though. The fringe players who came in with 1 or 2 exceptions did not do that well. Perhaps expected when you make so many changes. Toure was really poor and it was like playing with 10 men. particularly damaging towards the end when Gundogan could not run properly. He may never start for City again, because on that performance, he's only good for sub appearances when City have the game sown up and need to pass the ball around. I think we knew that anyway.

Hopefully in a couple of years we've got 2 good options for every position (players who are usually available) and a few of them are promoted players.

At the moment we're still 4 or 5 short (LB, CB, a midfielder or two and forward).

Hopefully in a couple of years we've got 2 good options for every position (players who are usually available) and a few of them are promoted players.

At the moment we're still 4 or 5 short.
Agree. We went into the game with injuries to Kompany, Mendy, Diaz and Foden was unavailable. All would have been in contention. But missing 4 players is not unusual for October and you are right - we struggled to beat a good Championship team. We had a top quality forward line but I think it was the speed of our passing that let us down. Occasonally Gundogan burst through but we did not play with the urgency required to break down a 10 man defence. Missed the width and quality of Walker and Sane, they are vital to breaking down packed defences.

We'll need a lucky draw to get much further. Guardiola made it very clear this is last of his priorities

the fringe players didnt do well ,nor did any of the regulars,maybe each were expecting the other to boss the game,dont think putting it all on any one player is realistic

Agree. We went into the game with injuries to Kompany, Mendy, Diaz and Foden was unavailable. All would have been in contention. But missing 4 players is not unusual for October and you are right - we struggled to beat a good Championship team. We had a top quality forward line but I think it was the speed of our passing that let us down. Occasonally Gundogan burst through but we did not play with the urgency required to break down a 10 man defence. Missed the width and quality of Walker and Sane, they are vital to breaking down packed defences.

We'll need a lucky draw to get much further. Guardiola made it very clear this is last of his priorities

what do you mean a lucky draw, that was so defensive from wolves it was ridiculous yes the one on ones they had could of been dangerous but i wouldn't be playing mangala from now on such was his ineptitude
can't see anyone else being that negative in comp especially if we play away which will allow our superior talent to shine, also we will have foden and diaz back and fingers crossed vinnie

Our passing definitely lacked pace. Moreover, our pressing wasn't nearly as intense as it should have been. We'd lose the ball, Pep's press wouldn't occur, and Wolves would be in our half of the field with multiple players, posing a big goal scoring threat.

Basically, we did not at all play the way Pep wants us to - crisp, incisive passing to move the opponents out of shape and thus leading to scoring opportunities - quick, intense pressure following a turnover, making it extremely difficult for the opposition to get out of their half. On both fronts - passing and pressing - we were inadequate.

That said - fair play to Wolves - gave their all, very solid on defense, and on offense, committed enough players forward to pose a real threat.

Last edited:

You know very well that it the Rags who get ALL the lucky draws.

We'll have to play 1 or 2 of the other big 6 to reach the final. You know if we draw United Mourinho will go full strength.

I can accept the domestic cups going on the backburner until we have a squad strong enough for all comps.

Bravo and Zinchenko did well. The Wolves finishes to one on ones were very poor, but Bravo still did well, and Bravo is just about the best saver of penalties in the world game. His record in penalty shoot outs for Chile for example is amazing. I am glad that he is rehabilitating himself in City fans' eyes.

I am not sure Guardiola got his subs right. Had he put Sane, walker and KDB on earlier, we could have won it in normal time and possibly saved the injuries to Danilo and Gundogan.

I couldn't understand why Pep didn't change things in normal time either. What was the point of resting players who then had to come on and play an extra 30 minutes as well.
Bravo kept us in the game against a second string Championship side and we are only in the next round because of his saves. Really disappointed with our midfield with the experience they possess. Zinchenko looks promising considering he was playing out of position but the star of the evening was the squirrel !
PS Anyone else still coughing from the smoke fumes drifting across the stadium in the first half!
CTID

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.