Women's Team Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much. We're meticulous on the men's side, everyone seems to be on the same page and we know what we can/can't do, but I think it'd be a massive stretch to say we're anywhere near as good on the women's side. It's not a coincidence that we're only just moving away from the spine we've had since ~2014, we've not been very good at adding people.

Well whoever signed Lavelle doesn't understand City's policy regarding players - is that what you are saying ?

How stupid is that for a club who is usually meticulous about signings ? Surely there is a lack of communication which needs to be redressed instead of recruiting players who " do not fit " ?

And whoever is responsible for hiring Taylor needs to be questioned too imo.

Most un-City like appointment .

Was appointing Taylor all that different to appointing Cushing previously though?

Feels liks the women are constrained by having to play a 4-1-2-2-1 style like the first team to help build the City brand and philosophy. Personal opinion is that this is why we also appointed Taylor and Cushing - they were from within and would play in the style they were told to play.

I think any managers appointed from other clubs would want to do it how they want. Which is why we appoint from within.

Still doesn't mean Taylor is any good though.

Was appointing Taylor all that different to appointing Cushing previously though?

Feels liks the women are constrained by having to play a 4-1-2-2-1 style like the first team to help build the City brand and philosophy. Personal opinion is that this is why we also appointed Taylor and Cushing - they were from within and would play in the style they were told to play.

I think any managers appointed from other clubs would want to do it how they want. Which is why we appoint from within.

I find it hard to believe either of them is actively told what to play personally, but I agree otherwise. Taylor's clearly worse, but I can't imagine Cushing would have lasted as long as he did if he was at another club or if he was an outsider here. They both are/were company men.

I might be showing my cynicism, but to me that stability and predictability is clearly important to the club. At the very least, they're both lower profile coaches who owe their position/rise to the club, they're not going to rock the boat too much.

That's a pretty good post to be fair, but I'm supportive of the club wanting the women's team to play in the 'City way'. Might explain the high player turnover as we try to transition to the highly technical players capable of making this system work.

I guess you can look at it whichever way to arrive at the reasons for appointing Taylor but imo it was a totally uninspiring and lazy appointment which I find uncharacteristic of the club.

Cushing was earlier in the process so I feel can be cut a bit of slack whilst establishing the level in the early stages.

Hopefully the new players coming in will be able to over-ride the Taylor influence and improve the team despite him.

There are 5 things wrong with women's football that need fixing:
1 short goalkeepers: there are plenty of tall women playing netball. Recruit some of these. KB is 6'; Ellie Roebuck 5'8.5".
2 poor referees: use more male referees until lady referees improve.
3 salary cap: this doesnt stop the drubbing of the bottom WSL teams it just means the best players go abroad.
4 VAR needs to be used: Tottenham's winning goal against city was ludicrous.
5 poor managers: just using the WSL as a step up for youth team managers is wrong.

There are 5 things wrong with women's football that need fixing:
1 short goalkeepers: there are plenty of tall women playing netball. Recruit some of these. KB is 6'; Ellie Roebuck 5'8.5".
2 poor referees: use more male referees until lady referees improve.
3 salary cap: this doesnt stop the drubbing of the bottom WSL teams it just means the best players go abroad.
4 VAR needs to be used: Tottenham's winning goal against city was ludicrous.
5 poor managers: just using the WSL as a step up for youth team managers is wrong.

Some fair points. However, I wouldn't wish male refs on them, some of the top-level Premier League refs are shocking. From what I've seen, there's little in it referee-wise.

Also, taller keepers may help yes. Roebuck is actually the tallest of England's 3 keepers at the Euros, and Earps who is expected to be 1st choice is 5' 7". No wonder Weir looked to chip her every time we play United - I'm sure other countries will be aware too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.