World Cup 2018 | 7th July | QF: Sweden vs England Match Thread, KO 15:00 (BST)

I haven't been watching Sweden's games but I keep hearing how well drilled and organised they are which is a bit of a concern. Yes England have a better team man for man but a slightly worse but better organised team with the right gameplan could easily beat us, look what happened to Mexico.

However I don't get the feeling anyone is getting carried away this world cup yet, I can see us playing cautiously until we get the first goal. It could be similar to the Colombia game, quite physical or stop-start and not that great to watch but getting the win is what matters. I'm not expecting a pretty game of football and if we get one then that's a bonus.

It's all getting a bit too giddy. Sweden will be a tough and probably very dour affair. Could go either way but as soon as we come up against a team that doesnt wrestle us on a corner, were fucked.
Might as well embrace the positivity though, no? This group of players, with its togetherness, can overcome Sweden and after that who knows? We have the tournaments leading scorer and whilst some on here can’t bring themselves to give him credit because he’s not a city player, ‘how many of them are penalties?’ I read off one poster, he’s bang in form more than any other striker in the competition if not any player. I can see us getting to the final I really can.

Might as well embrace the positivity though, no? This group of players, with its togetherness, can overcome Sweden and after that who knows? We have the tournaments leading scorer and whilst some on here can’t bring themselves to give him credit because he’s not a city player, ‘how many of them are penalties?’ I read off one poster, he’s bang in form more than any other striker in the competition if not any player. I can see us getting to the final I really can.

Still wont be enough for some if we do mate, good to see you back by the way.

This is genuinely the first England team since 1996 I feel a connection too, a likeable bunch of lads (I cant even fucking hate Lingard) without any massive egos working their collective balls off to win football matches, Southgate has been an absolute breath of fresh air after what has gone before him.

Honestly, regardless of official rankings, I've always considered that a country that is mad about football, that virtually invented it in its modern form, that played a part, round the world, when you look closely, in founding clubs that are famous in other countries, that has good players, some of whom would walk into any club side in Europe, should be thinking in terms of quarter-finals in the Euros and the WC as base camp. As an acceptable performance. England have hugely under-achieved since ’66. That is the hard truth. Not even qualifying for the WC several times since then is scandalous, really. Things might be about to change. Interesting times…
Ah, you have the condition many have referred to as Liverpoolitis. Some pre-conceived idea that because England used to be one of the best teams in the world, they have the right to be now.

This is genuinely the first England team since 1996 I feel a connection too, a likeable bunch of lads (I cant even fucking hate Lingard) without any massive egos working their collective balls off to win football matches, Southgate has been an absolute breath of fresh air after what has gone before him.
Good to hear off you bud.
I like them too. I like Southgate. I compare it to 2010 with that fuck Capello and it’s a million miles apart. They’re dying to win this tournament. I can’t bloody wait for tomorrow and I usually don’t give a toss about international footie. As you say though, they’re all likeable as a collective. Kane needs buying and getting to a club winning things. The kid is wasted at spurs.

Could not agree more with this. I had totally given up with getting enthusiastic about England long ago. However, Southgate and how he has approached this whole tournament and the way the players seem to be enjoying it and working for each other has been fantastic. Even if we lose to Sweden they have achieved far more than most thought they would and are laying some very good foundations for years to come.

while i agree England are a bang average side, I think it's good that we get giddy for this game.

As fans, we may as well get excited and hope as the team have either exceeded or reached the expectations of 99% of us. Time to just enjoy and get behind the team

while i agree England are a bang average side, I think it's good that we get giddy for this game.

As fans, we may as well get excited and hope as the team have either exceeded or reached the expectations of 99% of us. Time to just enjoy and get behind the team

Spot on.

There's this weird fucking attutude around the National team in this country and it stems from United and Liverpool fans in my opinion. They're not arsed about England because they don't win things. It's as simple as that.

I absolutely love the World Cup, watch as much of it as I can and I get right up for the England games. I was in my local on Tuesday night and it went mental when Dier knocked in that penalty.

We're not playing amazing football, who gives a shit. We're in the quarter finals of a World Cup. Tomorrow will more than likely be a shocker but if we progress who cares?

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!

I will be as exited as the next man, but how can a team without a midfield win the most prestigious football tournament?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.