World Cup Quarter-Finals Thread.

tidyman said:
Markt85 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
They will have been practicing pens all week. If the sub keeper is miles better than the first choice at saving pens, then it will have been agreed beforehand.

Agree 100%

Don't understand the uproar over a tactical sub. He's not a genius for making it, and he's not being a c*nt for making it.

I'm not in uproar. I couldn't really care less. But I think it was a decision to manufacture a situation where he could be made out to look like some sort of master tactician.

In reality, they are both professional international goalkeepers who had an almost identical chance of guessing right and saving the odd penalty.

My feeling is that the substitution was all about the manager and his ego not increasing their chance of winning.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this. Low downsides with huge upsides as far as a good ego stroke was concerned. Even if they had one keeper saving penalties for a month, is it not better to use that sub to try and win the game in normal time/ET? Almost everything is out of your control as a manager when it goes to penalties.

mcmanus said:
IrelandSuperman said:
dawlish dave said:
Krul tried it on with Mario two seasons ago, he delayed the pen for about 3 min, Mario after putting the pen away walked up arms folded and gave the twat the eyes. Worth watching again if anyone can post.
I absolutely loved that reaction to the psych attempt. And of course the press made Mario look the twat. Loved that too. :D

The wink at Rio tops the lot though.
Aye.

mcmanus said:
.rossi said:
City Hobgoblin said:
Krul's 'gamesmanship' was scraping the barrel, really insulting and disrespectful to a gallant opponent. Doubt if an English keeper would stoop so low.

Who was it in the BBC studio praised his actions..... Ferdinand, Shearer, both??

Becoming increasingly apparent just how arrogant the Dutch are ( no doubt others on here have long been aware of this) - I hope Argentina wipe the floor with them.

Like brave Joe Hart getting cocky and arrogant with Pirlo a few years back?

Yeah........

You don't like Joe Hart?

Hmmmmmm.

In fairness mate, some bell end on the 'Biggest **** To Play For City' thread upstairs named Joe yesterday, and another bell end agreed with him.
And they are so-called blues.

adrianr said:
tidyman said:
Markt85 said:
Agree 100%

Don't understand the uproar over a tactical sub. He's not a genius for making it, and he's not being a c*nt for making it.

I'm not in uproar. I couldn't really care less. But I think it was a decision to manufacture a situation where he could be made out to look like some sort of master tactician.

In reality, they are both professional international goalkeepers who had an almost identical chance of guessing right and saving the odd penalty.

My feeling is that the substitution was all about the manager and his ego not increasing their chance of winning.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this. Low downsides with huge upsides as far as a good ego stroke was concerned. Even if they had one keeper saving penalties for a month, is it not better to use that sub to try and win the game in normal time/ET? Almost everything is out of your control as a manager when it goes to penalties.

I don't. Just look at the size of Krul compared to the other keeper. Fills much more of the goal.

Demichelis made all the difference to Argentina. Their defence finally looked good.
Still can't see them winning it as Messi will always drible rather than pass.

As to the QF games - the world cup has turned from a great one into a shit one overnight. Only one was any good as a spectacle (Brazil vs Columbia) the rest were awful games. Stage fright and laziness for the most part. How the fuck France and Belgium players reckon it's ok to do 'fuck all' when behind till the last 10 mins is beyond me.

As to Holland. Lucky. They used to be the worst team in the world at penalty shoot outs. Now they aren't - some hope for England in the future. Then again with Dyke and Woy in charge, perhaps not.

BlueAnorak said:
Demichelis made all the difference to Argentina. Their defence finally looked good.

As to the QF games - the world cup has turned from a great one into a shit one overnight. Only one was any good as a spectacle (Brazil vs Columbia) the rest were awful games. Stage fright and laziness for the most part. How the fuck France and Belgium players reckon it's ok to do 'fuck all' when behind till the last 10 mins is beyond me.

Wouldn't say they've gone completely shit, but definitely dropped a notch or two. Hopefully the semis will pick up again,
and if the final is shit, I can find a stream of City v Dundee Utd somewhere ;-)

adrianr said:
tidyman said:
Markt85 said:
Agree 100%

They didn't need to use an extra sub because they were absolutely battering Costa Rica who could barely get out there own half.

Penalty's came and they used the better Keeper for penalty's. It wasn't about ego. It was using the right sub to help progress them further in the cup.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
mcmanus said:
.rossi said:
Like brave Joe Hart getting cocky and arrogant with Pirlo a few years back?

Yeah........

You don't like Joe Hart?

Hmmmmmm.

In fairness mate, some bell end on the 'Biggest **** To Play For City' thread upstairs named Joe yesterday, and another bell end agreed with him.
And they are so-called blues.

**Lavinda checks drunken post history**

**Phew**

**Lavinda saves 'hacked account' excuse for another day**

;-)

prestonibbo_mcfc said:
BlueAnorak said:

Wouldn't say they've gone completely shit, but definitely dropped a notch or two. Hopefully the semis will pick up again,
and if the final is shit, I can find a stream of City v Dundee Utd somewhere ;
-)
Is the game against Dundee utd before or after the game against Dundee?

It was a good idea (regarding the goalkeeper substitution). If Krul was the best penalty stopper in training, and could have the benefit of studying Costa Rica's penalties from their last shootout, while sitting on the bench with an Ipad, then it made perfect sense. Ferguson nearly did it in the 2005 FA Cup final, Tim Howard was warming up, and it looked like he would come on for the shootout (I think the commentator alluded to it), but Ferguson didn't gamble, and kept Carroll on instead. I've heard some say that Dave Beasant should have come on for Shilton in 1990 against Germany, was a better penalty stopper, and saved Aldridge's (who never missed) in the FA Cup final.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.