Worst away day ever

League Cup Final v Wolves 1974. We outplayed Wolves but their unknown keeper had a blinder (how often!!!) and we lost 2-1.
Driving home up the motorway (Us + Wolves fans all going the same way) the traffic ground to a halt. I was stopped in the middle lane and to my horror saw in the rear-view mirror a car whizzing up behind me and not about to slow down.....there was an unholy bang and the car's rear end was stove in. The other driver got out, an old git, I don't know if he had fallen asleep or was just senile. There we were exchanging details in the middle of the M6 with cars starting to move on either side.
Luckily the car was driveable, but a grotty defeat followed by a near-death experience was enough to qualify it for the worst on and off pitch footballing day of my life.

A night match at Stockport away in 97/98 season, it was two nil for county after about twenty mins and 3 nil at half time, it was awful, city fans singing your not fit to wear the shirt, and one shit symons there's only one shit symons(kolorov gets life easy compared to them days...,lol) finished 3-1 I think I try to block it out.

Ironic that such utter shite got to wear the smartest kit around at the time the white navy/maroon kappa kit.

lincoln 1996/97 ish , got a ticket last minute and the only way i could get a lift there was in the boot of a peugot 406...pitch fucking black and bumpy as fuck all the way there the rest of the lads were boozing....got stuck in traffic and missed uwe's 1st minute goal and got in just to see them equalise and then take the piss for the next 80 minutes and watch us get beat 4-1 ( i think) all the time thinking about the wonderful trip back.....the plus point was one of the lads got nicked so i got his place in the car!

goatinho said:
lincoln 1996/97 ish , got a ticket last minute and the only way i could get a lift there was in the boot of a peugot 406...pitch fucking black and bumpy as fuck all the way there the rest of the lads were boozing....got stuck in traffic and missed uwe's 1st minute goal and got in just to see them equalise and then take the piss for the next 80 minutes and watch us get beat 4-1 ( i think) all the time thinking about the wonderful trip back.....the plus point was one of the lads got nicked so i got his place in the car!

I think of all the breakdowns and train delays, traveling to Lincoln in the fuckin' boot of a car has to be the winner.

We stopped off on the way to this game in some backward town not far from Lincoln and one by one all got offered out by a drunk in a wheelchair with no arms or legs.

At least I had an actually seat inside a car though.

Did exactly the same It's A Barm with the Villa away match. Turned up and thought fuck me it's quiet for a match day!

Tranmere away was a particularly cold and depressing 0-0 draw. It sticks out as the moment I realised we were utterly fucking shite and the club could be in terminal danger of never recovering - and I knew nothing of the clubs finances back then :))

Have experienced a few away day nightmares' , but Leeds in the mid-70's , when Donachie equalised in the dying minutes , was probably the worst ..... was truly horrific after that game !

grimsby away in march/april 85

nightmare of a journey meaning we were late to the ground
when we got in we were already 2-0 down
we were penned in in a corner of the ground like we we were in jail , shite view and we ended up losing 4-1

wouldn't change it for the world :-)

Mr Shifter said:
Losing 4-0 at Blackburn then finding out about Hillsborough on the way back to the car.

i was at this game too. Simon Garner of all people scored. We were going to the match and then on to Blackpool for a dirty weekend. To compound matters, a fellow Blue decided I wasn't a Manc and wanted to kick 10 bells out of me. Then we found out about Hillsborough at the B&B.

Not a good weekend at all.

I recall a poor game at Chelsea away in the Milk Cup mid 80s. We was in that massive open end behind the goals it poured down with rain all the way through the match was soaked to the skin.

We got beat 4-1 and Alex Williams saved a penalty, thoroughly miserable evening and wet through all way back on train when they used to run the Football Special trains.

York away.....250,000 City fans,I couldn't see a fucking thing.

-- Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:40 pm --

black mamba said:
Have experienced a few away day nightmares' , but Leeds in the mid-70's , when Donachie equalised in the dying minutes , was probably the worst ..... was truly horrific after that game !

Correct,not a good one!<br /><br />-- Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:41 pm --<br /><br />
Eggsy said:
I recall a poor game at Chelsea away in the Milk Cup mid 80s. We was in that massive open end behind the goals it poured down with rain all the way through the match was soaked to the skin.

We got beat 4-1 and Alex Williams saved a penalty, thoroughly miserable evening and wet through all way back on train when they used to run the Football Special trains.

I went from Liverpool as living there at the time,got in at 2 - 0 down,highlight was Pat Nevins wank pen for them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.