Worst away day ever

for me it was Crewe away, the game that called off two hours before kick-off with a frozen pitch.

Live in Southampton and was working in London at the time, the Friday night was the company's Christmas piss-up, stayed later than I intended and got hammered, jumped on the train home only to fall asleep and missed my stop, got off at Bournemouth eventually. Got a taxi back home costing £60, climbed into bed around 2-30am.

Had to be up at 7-30 to get ready to go to the game, had to get a train to Winchester to get picked up there for the drive up to Crewe.

Felt sick as a dog all day, threw up when I woke up, again on the train and again at some motorway services on the way up. Eventually started to recover and started looking forward to the game. Then it came on the radio as we were parking up that the match had been called off AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Anyways, we decided to go have a few beers to relax before the drive home, got into a boozer on a hill just past the railway station, ordered a pint then the fkn police came in and shut down the boozer! They did it with every pub as there were so many Blues around.

So in essence, a near 500 mile round trip for ONE pint with the worst hangover ever, is definitely my worst ever away trip.

Bilboblue said:
for me it was Crewe away, the game that called off two hours before kick-off with a frozen pitch.

Live in Southampton and was working in London at the time, the Friday night was the company's Christmas piss-up, stayed later than I intended and got hammered, jumped on the train home only to fall asleep and missed my stop, got off at Bournemouth eventually. Got a taxi back home costing £60, climbed into bed around 2-30am.

Had to be up at 7-30 to get ready to go to the game, had to get a train to Winchester to get picked up there for the drive up to Crewe.

Felt sick as a dog all day, threw up when I woke up, again on the train and again at some motorway services on the way up. Eventually started to recover and started looking forward to the game. Then it came on the radio as we were parking up that the match had been called off AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Anyways, we decided to go have a few beers to relax before the drive home, got into a boozer on a hill just past the railway station, ordered a pint then the fkn police came in and shut down the boozer! They did it with every pub as there were so many Blues around.

So in essence, a near 500 mile round trip for ONE pint with the worst hangover ever, is definitely my worst ever away trip.
I was stuck in traffic on the M6 when that Crewe game was called off. We just came off at the next junction and turned back home.

full members cup final at wembley against chelsea,got beat 5-4 got back to our kids datsun cherry..........the **** wouldnt start.........no money as 17 at the time/6th form........./been at old trafford for the derby the day before.................had to spend the night (4 of us) in the car, not before walking 4 miles to the m1 to try and thumb a lift on a sunday night..........no joy..........all night listening to pissed up cockneys celebrating walking pass the car.....got some money sorted before getting a tube/train back to mancland..........ps our kid got a bill for 800 quid off a london garage for repairs the poor frigger only payed 5 ton for it !!!!!!...............top trip.

Liverpool away in the title decider 1977

Coach was late after being stuck on the east lancs road then we got locked out and walked round the ground trying to get in anywhere but all full then we got chased round the ground and round the park by stanley knife toting scousers of both red and blue persuasion then we lost after thinking Kiddo had grabbed a draw lstening on the radio on our coach before fucking highway scored for them and then more of our lot returned to the coach after the game minus clothes and one had been slashed by Stanley before we got stuck on the east lancs again knowing we had just lost our chance to be top dogs in the league again

hard to believe anfield was like that when you go these days lol

goatinho said:
lincoln 1996/97 ish , got a ticket last minute and the only way i could get a lift there was in the boot of a peugot 406...pitch fucking black and bumpy as fuck all the way there the rest of the lads were boozing....got stuck in traffic and missed uwe's 1st minute goal and got in just to see them equalise and then take the piss for the next 80 minutes and watch us get beat 4-1 ( i think) all the time thinking about the wonderful trip back.....the plus point was one of the lads got nicked so i got his place in the car!
This game was the lowest I ever felt as a city fan. It was around the time of the Coppell fiasco and everyone was coming out in the press saying the didn't want the job. Team performance summed up how I felt at the time.

I did at least get to see Uwe's goal.

goatfood said:
goatinho said:
lincoln 1996/97 ish , got a ticket last minute and the only way i could get a lift there was in the boot of a peugot 406...pitch fucking black and bumpy as fuck all the way there the rest of the lads were boozing....got stuck in traffic and missed uwe's 1st minute goal and got in just to see them equalise and then take the piss for the next 80 minutes and watch us get beat 4-1 ( i think) all the time thinking about the wonderful trip back.....the plus point was one of the lads got nicked so i got his place in the car!
This game was the lowest I ever felt as a city fan. It was around the time of the Coppell fiasco and everyone was coming out in the press saying the didn't want the job. Team performance summed up how I felt at the time.

I did at least get to see Uwe's goal.
haha yeah it was bad mate wasnt it.....but looking at the other post ...hillsborough disaster going on while we were away blackburn watching gerry taggarts master class in defending was another low point......and really puts everything into perspective........

strongbowholic said:
Did exactly the same It's A Barm with the Villa away match. Turned up and thought fuck me it's quiet for a match day!

Tranmere away was a particularly cold and depressing 0-0 draw. It sticks out as the moment I realised we were utterly fucking shite and the club could be in terminal danger of never recovering - and I knew nothing of the clubs finances back then :))

I took my daughter to Tranmere that day. As a young child who was cold and bored she didn't have much to smile about. The football was dire and when we got home my (now ex) mrs asked how she had enjoyed the day. My daughter's reply was, "Daddy used the F word". The day sticks out for that if nothing else. Out of the mouths of babes..........

Also went to the aforementioned Villa match on the football special. Train arrives, police inform us the match has been called off because of the weather. Train returns to Manchester and we all trudge home.

erast fandorin said:
Notinmylifetime said:
irlamblue70 said:
Oldham away, must have been 86? 87? Saturday 3pm kick-off and it pissed it down all day and for those old enough to remember the old away end at Oldham, the sloping bank behind the terrace was open to the elements and was just grass - or on this day one big mud bath. People were clambering up it or falling down it. Can't remember the score but as soon as we got back into town it just seemed to be running battles wherever you went as the rags had been at home.

Torrential rain all game ( almost as bad as Burnley away a few years ago ). On the way back to Manchester every launderette was packed with blues sat in their undies as all their clothes were in the driers. And yes, a bit naughty when back in town later.

Gates got kicked in at back of the away end that day,knocking burger van over with bloke in it

Resulting in a chase of Keystone Cop proportions at the back of the Rochdale Road end.

Notinmylifetime said:
irlamblue70 said:
Oldham away, must have been 86? 87? Saturday 3pm kick-off and it pissed it down all day and for those old enough to remember the old away end at Oldham, the sloping bank behind the terrace was open to the elements and was just grass - or on this day one big mud bath. People were clambering up it or falling down it. Can't remember the score but as soon as we got back into town it just seemed to be running battles wherever you went as the rags had been at home.

Torrential rain all game ( almost as bad as Burnley away a few years ago ). On the way back to Manchester every launderette was packed with blues sat in their undies as all their clothes were in the driers. And yes, a bit naughty when back in town later.

Count yourselves lucky. Had to travel down sarf on the train in a soaking wet t shirt and jeans. Think it was a 0-0 draw too.

goatinho said:

Now that's dedication!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.