Worst away days

It was 4-1. We were 4-0 down at half time but a late Bobby McDonald goal meant we edged the second half 1-0!
It was on Easter Monday. The dippers beat us 5-0 at Maine Road on the Saturday so by half time at Molineux, we’d conceded nine goals in 135 minutes of football over slightly less than 48 hours.
Standard back then

Anfield boxing day mid 70s was in paddock under main stand, looked like murder in the Anfield Rd, pre formal segregation. Losing 4 0 came off with a couple of minutes to go, missed Colin Bell wonder goal, the only highlight of a shitty day.

Wow, that's interesting.
I've been there a few times and never had any mither.
I've heard a few stories from that cup game in the 70's which was before my time.l and to be fairly it kicked off most places back then.
Worst for mither I experienced was that Cardiff cup game in 94.
Took me by surprise. Been many times and no bother including in the bad old 80s but that night changed perceptions. Also remember once seeing a huge bloke lying flat on his back, spark out, in the road near the bridge. There was a bit of an atmosphere yet I still was surprised by that shoulder charge. Never had one as meaty playing football either!

"Interesting" wasn't how I described that walk to the ground, or the walk back to the station for the special.
Newcastle FA Cup, 76-77. Got in early and the visitors end was full quite early. Full of little shits with Geordie accents.
The flagpole was in that section and the flag came down round about the time we scored; the locals weren't happy and all hell broke loose.
Fans were fighting on the terraces, in the stands and on the pitch. We won 3-1 and after the game the cops told those on the coaches and trains which way to go. We asked about getting back to a city centre car park and were advised to walk down a particular alleyway, then "run like fuck". So we did.
Got back to the car park and were waiting for the lift when some City fans a few floors up decided to remind some passing locals of the score.
We got out OK but a couple of cousins had a very draughty return trip as their coach windows decided to stay on Tyneside. We declared we'd never go back, but there was a League game a few weeks later. On that occasion we broke down at Washington Services and had to get a bus to and from the ground.
Think this is the game my dad always describes as the scariest he ever went to.

He said at one point a gang of bikers stormed the away end with bike chains and beat the living shite out of some blues. My dad hid in a toilet cubicle.

Anfield boxing day mid 70s was in paddock under main stand, looked like murder in the Anfield Rd, pre formal segregation. Losing 4 0 came off with a couple of minutes to go, missed Colin Bell wonder goal, the only highlight of a shitty day.
I remember that game, went in the A field Road with my Liverpool supporting mate, scousers kept charging into the City fans who were stood at the back, we tried to move lower down but kept getting pushed back to the top, by people wanting to get involved, or like wanting to get our of the way, we came out just before Bell scored as well. Horrible day

The Notts county away in the league cup on 9/11 was a bit crap, I think we were one of the only games to go ahead, there was a bit of a somber mood and obviously most people talking about what happened, just didn't get the normal vibe of an away game on a Wednesday night.
If I remember we won in extra time that cheered us up abit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.