Worst away days

Groclin away. A ground that made Halifax look like Wembley.
2nd division Forest away on a Sunday in the FA Cup - Lost 4-1
Swindon away. Lost 2-0, it was pissing down, and we were in the open end. And the cuntish stewards wouldn't allow brollies to be taken in.
Halifax.
Lincoln in the League Cup - One up in the first minute then lost 4-1. Lost the second leg 1-0 and Lincoln were responsible for our heaviest defeat over two legs, a record equalled by the dippers in the CL five years ago.
Chelsea about 20 years ago - Lost 5-0, got a parking ticket, and my alternator belt snapped on the way home. Had to be towed back by the AA.
Barnet in the League Cup, even though we won the second leg.
Bury in the League Cup, 72-73. Lost 2-0 and we had a half decent team in those days. It was more of a giant killing than Halifax in 1980.

Last edited:
Blackpool away 1999, sometime in January.
Freezing fuckin cold, midday kick off, shite match, we didn't have one shot on target I'm sure, stood in a stand what can only be described as a scrap yard.

Had a great weekend in Blackapulco though.

Yes went to that as well and then headed over to Blackburn afterwards who were facing Leeds. The gulf in standard felt enormous.

The only thing I remember about the match was the bloke on the tannoy announcing a Blackpool sub and he called him the ‘wonderboy, cue ironic cheering from the City fans and then typically he ripped us apart for the last 20 mins.

A couple stick in my mind. 4-0 away at Derby, the game where big Joe attempted to step out the 12 yds to the penalty spot, as it couldn't be seen due to all the sand on the infamous Baseball Ground pitch. And he was proven to be right, even though he was booked for his protests! And a 4-1 (4-0?) away at Wolves (late seventies/very early 80s, I think).

Derby County, April 1977 lost 4 0 on a swamp of a pitch, probably cost us the league title. All round shit day in front of vast City following. Penalty spot had to be repainted for Derby penalty.

Fa cup 1991 Notts County, thought we were on to big things in the cup that year but typical City arrived in spectacular fashion

Yes that was some disappointment. Massive following, great atmosphere and the more chances we missed (or the more times we hit the woodwork) the more inevitable the defeat became.

Digging out the keeper Steve Cherry?? for his weight certainly came back to bite us and Tommy Johnson was electric on the flanks.

I remember thinking on the way back we might sign him but needless to say we never bothered and he went to Villa.

Losing 4-0 at West Brom under Keegan when it appeared we had no chance of getting promoted. Hard to believe, that day, we would go on to have such an incredible season and go up as champions.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.