Worst away days

Halifax 1980 in the cup. It was one of my first aways and was fucking awful.

Wimbledon late 80's at Plough Lane. It was a shit hole and we lost 1-0.

1983 2nd Division in the Autumn.
Newcastle 5 City 0

Bus was attacked before and after the game. All ticket game but still a mob of Geordies in our end kicking off.
I dread to think what they'd have done to us had we drawn......
The only ground I visited and swore I'd never go back to - and i have never been since!

Groclin away. A ground that made Halifax look like Wembley.
It made Springfield Park, Wigan look like Wembley!

I think Halifax in the Cup will always stay top for me, the whole fucking day was a sick joke.

That 6-0 humiliation at Derby in '89 was a gut-punch coming a few weeks after stuffing the rags 5-1.

6-0 defeat at Derby in '89. Every City player gave up at 4. Torn to pieces by McMinn, Saunders, Goddard and Micklewhite on their tiny pitch. Grim.

As was 4-0 at Leicester in 86-87. Everything that could could go wrong went wrong. Back passes stuck in the mud, passes straight to dangerous players like Alan Smith and Gary McAllister who would both go on to much bet

Notts County in 85. 12,000 Blues at Meadow Lane to clinch promotion against already relegated Notts with songs of "We'll be up by 5 o'clock" but abject City are 3-0 down (Rachid Harkoul and Justin Fashanu) at half time and more than a few bad boys ripping up the fence at half time. Pitch invasion, chaos, horses galloping on the pitch Billy Mc and Jimmy Sirrel coming out together towards the end of 45 minutes of half time appealing for calm. City almost pull off a comeback but still lose 3-2 setting up a last day with Charlton at home (wonder what happened there...)

Last edited:
One of the funniest examples of gallows humour I witnessed was a 4-1 thumping at Grimsby in 1984 if memory serves, where a City fan gestured 'handcuff me' to the local police.
Yes was at that game, near the end of the season, and the realisation we were not getting promotion.

Had some grim trips to Ayresome Park over the years.

They all kind of blend into one now but pretty sure I never saw us win there.

It was never a cake walk but the one that stands out was shortly after the Cleveland child abuse scandal and City fans were politely asking the ‘Boro fans if they were going home to shag their kids after the game?

Well it was okay for most of them. They were jumping on coaches parked up right outside the away end. Whereas we faced what felt like the 10 mile trek back to the station and the ‘Boro lads were practically foaming at the mouth by this stage.

I’ve been on more relaxing strolls, put it that way.

1983 2nd Division in the Autumn.
Newcastle 5 City 0

Bus was attacked before and after the game. All ticket game but still a mob of Geordies in our end kicking off.
I dread to think what they'd have done to us had we drawn......
The only ground I visited and swore I'd never go back to - and i have never been since!
The return fixture at Maine rd was tasty, bricks and bottles flying about at the back of the Kippax, for some reason the Newcastle seated section was the bit between the Main and North stands, when we walked back to our car i saw a sight i will never forget, the Newcastle supporters coach was parked outside the old souvenir shop, when we walked past there was two Newcastle fans led unconscious in the road, and i am not joking they had their teeth kicked in, i saw fragments of them in the road next to them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.