Worst decision by Peter Swales?

Sorry to hijack this thread, can't start a new thread due low post count. Anyway Sky channel 502 (Bloomberg) at 10:30 tonight have a program called Inside Manchester City.

lancs blue said:
10.Goater_Legend said:
Continuing on with the theme set by the manager's thread, what is old Peter's worst move whilst he was at City.

Has to be the way he treated Joe Mercer for me.

Pretty certain Swales wasn't charman when Joe Mercer left, it was Joe Smith I think. Gary James will know for certain.

Allison's second coming has to be tops.

Also he turned down the chance to sign Ardiles and Villa after the '78 World Cup and look where that got us!

Eric Alexander was Chairman when Joe was forced out, but it was Peter Swales, Joe Smith, Ian Niven, Chris Muir, and the other directors who supported/caused the takeover that were really in control.

As this clip shows, Swales did represent the board's position on the departure of Joe Mercer in the media:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH7zFVCLCRM[/youtube]

That was a disastrous error. So was bringing back Malcolm, and also pursuing the spending policy we did when Mal returned to buy the players we spent that money on.

big phil said:
Enough. Peter Swales was a blue. And he got loads of things wrong. But he did it for the right reason (overthrowing the evil empire). 99% of us would have have done the same, he would have sold his soul to see City as top dogs. And I have a little difficulty hearing bad things about genuine blues, no matter how misguided. Have some respect, the blokes dead ..........
Sorry Big Phil, but the guy was a twat, was only in it to line his own pocket, didn't give a shiny shite about City, it was only after Franny took us over as it became clear as to how bad a financial situation we were in behind the scenes, absolutely everything was outside franchised so City weren't making profits from anything, that's why we couldn't see any visible on pitch signs of imrovement immediately after Franny's takeover, due to needing a complete behind the scenes overhaul, using what was supposed to be transfer funds, Peter Swales's only love was his company RadioRentals.

Hatemanyoo said:
big phil said:
Enough. Peter Swales was a blue. And he got loads of things wrong. But he did it for the right reason (overthrowing the evil empire). 99% of us would have have done the same, he would have sold his soul to see City as top dogs. And I have a little difficulty hearing bad things about genuine blues, no matter how misguided. Have some respect, the blokes dead ..........
Sorry Big Phil, but the guy was a twat, was only in it to line his own pocket, didn't give a shiny shite about City, it was only after Franny took us over as it became clear as to how bad a financial situation we were in behind the scenes, absolutely everything was outside franchised so City weren't making profits from anything, that's why we couldn't see any visible on pitch signs of imrovement immediately after Franny's takeover, due to needing a complete behind the scenes overhaul, using what was supposed to be transfer funds, Peter Swales's only love was his company RadioRentals.

Swales was a twat, no-one had a good word to say about him and he made balls-up galore but to say that he was only in it to line his own pocket and he didn't care about City is absolutely ludicrous.

He was very clearly a dedicated Blue, and loved the club till the day he died, despite the treatement he received from the fans over his latter days.

DD said:
Hatemanyoo said:

Swales was a twat, no-one had a good word to say about him and he made balls-up galore but to say that he was only in it to line his own pocket and he didn't care about City is absolutely ludicrous.

He was very clearly a dedicated Blue, and loved the club till the day he died, despite the treatement he received from the fans over his latter days.
You mean like the mythical attack on his mother in the retirement home......<br /><br />-- Mon May 31, 2010 2:09 pm --<br /><br />
u2fme2 said:
Steve Daley for me all day long
It's easy to pick on one player, but as has been proved with RSC, if the club is being ran well and the rest of the team performs one bad signing shouldn't make the whole thing fall apart the way it did in the middle of Swales time at the club.

DontLookBackInAnger said:
DD said:

You mean like the mythical attack on his mother in the retirement home......

-- Mon May 31, 2010 2:09 pm --

u2fme2 said:
Steve Daley for me all day long
It's easy to pick on one player, but as has been proved with RSC, if the club is being ran well and the rest of the team performs one bad signing shouldn't make the whole thing fall apart the way it did in the middle of Swales time at the club.

To an extent I agree with you, if it had only been one poor purchase but there were several. Daley £1,4m, Stuart Lee (can't remember the fee exactly, but I think it was approaching £100K, Barry Silkman £750K, Michael Robinson £750K, Steve Mackenzie £250K + a handful of kids already mentioned, replaced established International class players Watson, Barnes, Kidd, Channon etc. These were absolutely huge sums of money back then and we only received £750K for Barnes who was an established full England International. With hindsight Tony Book should never have been sacked, and it was utter madness, to bring back solely in charge Malcolm Allison. Consequently Allison and Swales are equally to blame for the last 30 odd years of pain and suffering, that we as fans have had to endure. Fortunately we are emerging from the nightmare and I'm sure the good times are within touching distance.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
You mean like the mythical attack on his mother in the retirement home......

-- Mon May 31, 2010 2:09 pm --

To an extent I agree with you, if it had only been one poor purchase but there were several. Daley £1,4m, Stuart Lee (can't remember the fee exactly, but I think it was approaching £100K, Barry Silkman £750K, Michael Robinson £750K, Steve Mackenzie £250K + a handful of kids already mentioned, replaced established International class players Watson, Barnes, Kidd, Channon etc. These were absolutely huge sums of money back then and we only received £750K for Barnes who was an established full England International. With hindsight Tony Book should never have been sacked, and it was utter madness, to bring back solely in charge Malcolm Allison. Consequently Allison and Swales are equally to blame for the last 30 odd years of pain and suffering, that we as fans have had to endure. Fortunately we are emerging from the nightmare and I'm sure the good times are within touching distance.
Spot on mate, that was really my point, Daley has become a symbol of the whole Allison era and....... while he was a truelly dreadful buy, it was the fact we made a bunch that caused us the issues. You left off Bobby Shinton at 300k btw!(he worked out at 60k a game). Daley on the other hand played 48 times for the club, so that works out at about 30k a game!

Dyed Petya said:
As this clip shows, Swales did represent the board's position on the departure of Joe Mercer in the media:

That was a disastrous error.

Totally agree, but I don't really have any time for those supporting directors who were also on the Board and should have made their feelings known. I talk about this at length in my new version of "Joe Mercer, OBE: Football With A Smile." Eric Alexander has talked about his role in trying to keep Joe (unlike any of the other directors from that period and I think Eric deserves credit for that) but Joe knew that even that approach was not what Swales, Smith, Niven, Muir and Co wanted.

I know it's a shameless plug, but read the 2010 version of "Joe Mercer, OBE: Football With A Smile" (ISBN 9780955812743) for the factual story.<br /><br />-- Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:30 am --<br /><br />
pinkwheeltrim said:
10.Goater_Legend said:
Not a bad manager old John Bond, can't believe Swales was messing around with a drinks mat whilst interviewing our potencial future manager. Unbelievable.

That wasn't the real interview! Bond had already been appointed,that whole boardroom scene was done just for the tv cameras!!

Swales had already decided Bond was to be the manager but... that was the real interview for the Board. I've interviewed Bond, Swales, and some of the others involved and no matter what myth has been developed since, everyone of them said that this was definitely the main interview for the whole Board to question Bond.

Some of them have said they 'hammed it up' for the cameras, but the people who have suggested in more recent years that this wasn't the real interview tend to be those who received criticism in later years for their role in this meeting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.