Worst Managerial Decision Ever By a City Manager

solley attwell said:
The well has truly been sucked dry with bad managerial decisions so i'll go for a time in our history when we were a completly fuckin joke club and swales decides to put Phil Neal ( Stan Laurel lookalike) in charge

Neal was only ever caretaker manager (between Coppell and Clark).

And Frannie was chairman at the time.

Apologies if it's been mentioned but Brian Horton putting a dead slow, right footed David Brightwell at left back against a 21 year old Ryan Giggs was up there with the best of them.

That was a bad, bad night.

Didsbury Dave said:
Apologies if it's been mentioned but Brian Horton putting a dead slow, right footed David Brightwell at left back against a 21 year old Ryan Giggs was up there with the best of them.

That was probably the worst night I've ever had as a City fan. It was Kanchelskis though who tore Brightwell a new one, not Giggs as I remember.

Ric said:
Didsbury Dave said:

That was probably the worst night I've ever had as a City fan. It was Kanchelskis though who tore Brightwell a new one, not Giggs as I remember.

Brightwell played at left back that night... Phelan had fallen out with the manager, so Brightwell got the call. He was actually left-footed... not that you could tell!

Even worse was Gerry Taggart, a left footed centre half, playing at right back, against Scott Sellars, as Blackburn Rovers thumped us 4-0.. on April 15th. 1989... so there was more than one disaster that day!

So now the right footed Brightwell against Giggs has become the left footed Brightwell against Kanchelskis... is it still the same match we're talking about? :)

Soulboy said:
Ric said:

Brightwell played at left back that night... Phelan had fallen out with the manager, so Brightwell got the call. He was actually left-footed... not that you could tell!

Even worse was Gerry Taggart, a left footed centre half, playing at right back, against Scott Sellars, as Blackburn Rovers thumped us 4-0.. on April 15th. 1989... so there was more than one disaster that day!

Yep, youi're right on all counts. Brightwell was a clodhopping onepaced centre half.

That 4-0 at Blackburn was awful. I was in their seats too, watching our promotion bid looking shaky and hearing about the deaths.

Taggart was one of the worst players I've ever seen in a City shirt.

Interstate 5 said:
So now the right footed Brightwell against Giggs has become the left footed Brightwell against Kanchelskis... is it still the same match we're talking about? :)

David Brightwell was left-footed and played against Kanchelskis in the aforementioned 0-5.<br /><br />-- Wed May 19, 2010 7:40 pm --<br /><br />
Blucamp said:
Was it kendal who brought megson in ! Doh!

Megson was already at City when Kendall arrived.

But HK brought him back into the side.

I actually thought GM did a decent job for us in those few months when we needed to shore up the defence and midfield.

Vienna_70 said:
Interstate 5 said:

David Brightwell was left-footed and played against Kanchelskis in the aforementioned 0-5.

-- Wed May 19, 2010 7:40 pm --

Blucamp said:
Was it kendal who brought megson in ! Doh!

Megson was already at City when Kendall arrived.

But HK brought him back into the side.

I actually thought GM did a decent job for us in those few months when we needed to shore up the defence and midfield.

The pain of that memory has blurred the facts but I still maintain it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. BRightwell couldn't run and Kanchelskis was one of the best and quickest in the league.

I still go a bit faint thinking about it. Nearly came to blows with a gobby red in the pub after who turned out to be my new girlfriend's uncle.

Bad night.

Bond - Not starting with DT in cup final replay v spurs

Allison and Swales Selling Gary Owen; Asa Hartford and Peter Barnes totally destroying everything T.Book had created

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.