Would we have still won the CL if we had kept Sterling, Jesus & Zinchenko (Plus other questions)

Jesus is the only one I'd have been happy to see stay. Sterling is demonstrating his level very well at Chelsea, i.e. nowhere near good enough to supplant any of our current players. And I never rated Zinchenko at all personally. Wearing your heart on your sleeve is all very admirable but ultimately he had 2 or 3 defensive balls ups in him every game and did bugger all else other than pass backwards or shoot into row Z. Never scored a goal for us I think??? Hardly surprising.
Not every game did he balls up 2 or 3 times, that is OTT

Would we have beat Villa to win the league without him coming on the same time as Gundo, he contributed to that alone which is good enough for me

In response to the initial question, we will never really know and actually questions like this are pretty silly

We'd probably have won the Community Shield and Carabao cup as well.

Seriously who knows but Pep seems to have a way of getting the best out of a squad or not using them if they don't suit. Phillips and Laporte didn't get a lot of game time this season.
We may have been able to use their talents effectively but overall we didn't seem to miss them.
I was sorry to see them go because I liked them individually but wasn't disappointed with the exception of Zin because we appeared to have replaced them with better players.

Impossible to say,but unlikely.

All three helped us win trophies but all three had limitations that were unlikely to take us to the ultimate level of treble and Champions League winners.

Jesus & Zinch were committed, Sterling coasted for 2 years and we were well rid of him. He cheated us !!

I was astounded that we actually got any money for Sterling at all. His final seasons at City were well below standard and he has surprisingly maintained that level at Chelsea.

Answer has to be no.

I still felt Jesus could have played a part in the City squad in the wide areas but he wanted to move to Arsenal and be a striker.

As for Sterling, In Champions League games especially knockout stage games he missed far too many chances and on top of that gave the ball away far too easily which leads to losing possession and being hit on the counter attack. With Grealish and Bernardo playing in wide areas in the Champions League this season they are both incredible in possession of the ball and very very rarely give it away.

Zinchenko as much as I liked him at City he is very poor defensively whether he is caught out of position or losing duels. Massive improvements this season with Nathan Ake playing the centre bavk/left back role. Always wins his duels, Defensively solid.

Maybe.

The evolution of this team seems to be from experience rather than ability. I'm not sure that the three named players were so bad that they would have dragged us down. We have achieved plenty with them in our ranks.

However, you could argue that Sterling was on a downward trajectory, meaning that he would've become a deadweight of sorts.

More significantly, you could argue that if we kept Zinchenko, we never would've had a need to go to the 4 CBs strategy, meaning we might not have had the tools to win anything this year.

Assuming Alvarez would still be here, I don't think Jesus would've had a negative impact still being here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.